Windows 10: How do i change the font/style of desktop icons for Windows 10?

Discus and support How do i change the font/style of desktop icons for Windows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; i need to get to the same functionality as i did in Windows 7: Personalization>Windows color and appearance>Advanced appearance settings, where I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by usd03745, Jul 30, 2015.

1. usd03745 Win User

How do i change the font/style of desktop icons for Windows 10?

i need to get to the same functionality as i did in Windows 7:
    Personalization>Windows color and appearance>Advanced appearance settings, where I can set the font style along with bold and italic. i have searched extensively without success.

:)

usd03745, Jul 30, 2015

2. Font colors on desktop.

Desktop Icon Font Color - How do I change the font color of the text that describes desktop icons in Windows 10??

MikeHunter_RTT, Jul 30, 2015
  3. how do I change font color for desktop icons

Umm this does not change the desktop Icon font, this only changes the Window pane color.

I have a white background photo, and my desktop icon font color is also white, hence making them impossible to read.

How do I change the Desktop Icons Font Color???

xhefrxxhefrx, Jul 30, 2015
  4. tperk100 Win User

I just installed Win 10. I can go to Control Panel, Fonts, Change Font Size, and then change font text size for desktop icons, menus, etc..

tperk100, Sep 25, 2015
  5. A Tip for the DARK users*Wink.

I use solid black for my desktop and "Dark" theme for the Edge Browser. The titles of my desktop icons and active tabs in Edge were "weak" (thin and ill defined). After finding this thread, I toyed around with Display Settings and now the aforementioned icon titles and Edge tab titles are bright, thicker and clear.

If you have this issue:

1. Right-click on your desktop.
    2. Left-click on Display Settings.
    3. Click on Advanced Display Settings.
    4. Click on Advance Settings of text and other items.
    5. Under "Change only the text size", use the drop-down window to choose the first item you want to make bolder and put a check-mark in the "Bold" box.
    6. Hit "Apply" and wait 10-20 seconds for your PC to make the adjustment. A "please wait...." window will take over your desktop while the setting is being applied.
    7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each item in the drop-down box that you want to apply the "Bold" setting to.

That's it!

-Allen

p.s. You can go directly to Control Panel and bypass the desktop right-click, but Control Panel may be retired by Microsoft on Windows10.

AllenChicago, Nov 15, 2015
  6. Lange666 Win User
    Some people have a problem reading questions:
    His question was not only about bold/italic and surely NOT about size.
    You can use WinAeroTweaker but when changing fonts is has a bug that it goes into non responding mode when applying the changes. After closing and restart, much of the changes you made are changed but not all and it can be a bit picky to get them all changed.

Another option is to use the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics and then change the fonts there.
    This works fine but... it does not change all the fonts like the context menu on desktop icons are still Segoe UI as are programs like Internet Explorer and Edge.

Why MS removed this option and forced its own fonts (which are plane ugly for my taste) is beyond me. MS starts to look and behave like Apple...*Sad

Lange666, Nov 17, 2015
  7. The only problem with using the Registry attempt is the font names are listed as binary not selectable font names.

MichaelG7355, Jan 8, 2016
  8. Lange666 Win User

There listed as binary but on the side the binary is converted into text. You can either change the binary or the text. In this case just replace the text and the binary will change accordingly.
    Below is an example of the Verdana font i always use.

How do i change the font/style of desktop icons for Windows 10? [​IMG]

Lange666, Jan 9, 2016
  9. I like default setting with black combination.

chunnuhardy, Jan 12, 2016
  10. mykou Win User
    Hi

There are 2 tools you can use to change default font :

- microangelo on display ( not free )

- windows 8 font changer ( freeware and tested under windows 10 X64 pro 10586.63 ) ) here :
    Change The Default Font In Windows 8: Windows 8 Font Changer

Here are some screens of my desktop ( switched to comic font ):

To edit the right context menu I tweaked under vista style builder my current visual style ( but I have no clue to do without it ) :

hope it helps !

mykou, Jan 12, 2016
  11. acer Win User
    • How do i change the font/style of desktop icons for Windows 10?

12. SonicBlue Win User
    SonicBlue, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do i change the font/style of desktop icons for Windows 10? - Similar Threads - change font style

2. HOW TO CHANGE FONT STYLE IN WINDOWS 10 20H2

in Windows 10 Customization
    HOW TO CHANGE FONT STYLE IN WINDOWS 10 20H2: THERE IS NO OPTION IN SETTINGS TO CHANGE FONT STYLE IN WINDOWS 10 THERE IS OPTION TO SEE FONT STYLE BUT NO OPTION TO APPLY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-font-style-in-windows-10-20h2/b6d3469f-d5a4-4826-9bb2-6c6545ea9ffd
  3. Desktop icon font style changed

Desktop icon font style changed: the desktop icon font has changed for all different users after a recent update, to a shadow font. How can I change back to a regular font. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-font-style-changed/b2244411-a5e5-4125-89bb-978678da33dd
  4. How to change the font on Windows 10 desktop icons

How to change the font on Windows 10 desktop icons: I have Windows 10 Home Version 1909. Somehow the desktop icon font changed from solid black to white letters I'm new to Windows 10 so I obviously did something in trying to personalize a new PC, but how can I change the font back to solid black lettering? Please, my old...
  5. how to change window 10 font style

how to change window 10 font style: I know to change the font but I can't apply it to my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-window-10-font-style/1bdeab2b-0275-40d6-9d27-fc99016f1abd
  6. how to change font style

how to change font style: i want to change my font style plz help me how to change font style https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-font-style/256df7d1-4331-44a2-9f8c-6810da4f8af9
  7. how to change desktop icon font color and style

how to change desktop icon font color and style: With this latest Windows update, the icons on my desktop are in white with shadows. How can I get them to return to regular black letters. Thank you....
  8. Change font style

Change font style: How do I change the font style I want to use? I don't want Times Roman but a different one. How? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-font-style/1adbf05e-327b-4ba2-8358-11e79f77000a
  9. How to change entire Windows 10 Font style ?

How to change entire Windows 10 Font style ?: i just wondered how to change the font style to make font more clear ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-entire-windows-10-font-style/b6007862-e37f-4c80-a9bf-bd438b13ec6f
  10. Change font style

Change font style: How do I change my default display font style to different font styles in Windows 10 1803? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/change-font-style/14ceb101-234e-49f4-ab01-8c880333bbac

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 desktop icon font

2. windows 10 change desktop icon font style

3. change font style windows 10 desktop

4. change font style on desktop icons windows 10,
  5. windows style font,
  6. changing font style on desktop,
  7. change desktop font style windows 10,
  8. desktop font style,
  9. change my font style windows 10,
  10. desktop shortcut windows 10 style font,
  11. how to change windows style of desktop,