Windows 10: How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name

Discus and support How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey guys, Anybody know any notepad application where I can check what is changed on same notepad files with same name but different sizes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jk22, Mar 24, 2018.

1. jk22 Win User

How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name

Hey guys,

Anybody know any notepad application where I can check what is changed on same notepad files with same name but different sizes.

Regards.

:)

2. Rohn007 Win User

winbook touchscreen

No, OneNote and Notepad are not the same.

I am pretty sure the program you want to use for this problem is NotePad. It is a simple text editor file that save in text only format.

Are you sure windows.inf is a folder? That sounds like the name of a file that would hold configuration information for a program. It would be text only format, which is whyyou would want to use NotePad to edit it. However, I do not find a windows.inf file
    or folder on my system ...

Can you provide a link to the instructions you are trying to follow?

Rohn007, Mar 24, 2018
  3. dmortex Win User
    where is notepad and how do I get there?

where is notepad and how do I get there?

dmortex, Mar 24, 2018
  4. RickC Win User

DiffVue (30-day trial) or Beyond Compare (free trial) will do that.

EDIT: I forgot, use Notepad++ and add the 'compare' plugin as @lx07 advises in post #4.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 24, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Hopefully you have the "same name" files in different Folders, can't save 2 or more files of the exact same name in the same Folder, have to be different by at least one character. Other details such as size, date, etc., don't count.

Berton, Mar 24, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
  7. z3r010 Win User
    I was just going to suggest that myself, however when I looked at my notepad++ the plugin wasn't there anymore.

z3r010, Mar 24, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

The plugin loader seems to have gone in latest build.

You can download the compare plugin here Release v2.0.0 pnedev/compare-plugin· GitHub

Then copy contents to "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins" depending if you installed 64 or 32 bit version of Notepad++.

Works fine.

9. RickC Win User
    I found that too. I had to manually update Notepad++ to v7.5.6 and, when I did, the 'Compare' plugin was there.

RickC, Mar 24, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    command prompt

fc file1.txt file2.txt

cereberus, Mar 24, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    Another option.

Sublime Text - A sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose

Diff PluginGitHub - colinta/SublimeFileDiffs: Show diffs between the current file, or selection(s) in the current file, and clipboard, another file, or unsaved changes.

ReadMeSublimeFileDiffs/README.md at master · colinta/SublimeFileDiffs · GitHub

How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name [​IMG]
    Note
    Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. There is currently no enforced time limit for the evaluation.

Drop plugin here:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages

Quick test:

Open File:

Open second file with same file name but differences in text:

Compare via Diff File right click menu. Results:

Callender, Mar 24, 2018
  12. jk22 Win User
    Whats that mean ? How to know which one is same on both text files ?

13. lx07 Win User

Look at the picture.

If the line is the same it isn't highlighted. If there is a deleted line it is red. If there is a new line it is green. If there is a difference it is yellow.

14. jk22 Win User
    Thanks! *Smile

Thema:

1. How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name - Similar Threads - check different text

2. how do you do spell check in notepad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do you do spell check in notepad?: How do you do spell check in notepad? How do you make only one line Bold and not the whole page? How do you underline only one word?I went into file, edit and view, I found how to change the font but it changes the entire page even if I highlight just one line. Confused...
  3. how do you do spell check in notepad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do you do spell check in notepad?: How do you do spell check in notepad? How do you make only one line Bold and not the whole page? How do you underline only one word?I went into file, edit and view, I found how to change the font but it changes the entire page even if I highlight just one line. Confused...
  4. Corrupted Notepad++ text file.

Corrupted Notepad++ text file.: One of my long standing Notepad++ text files is corrupted when I try to open it. It just has a bunch of NULLs.There doesn't appear to be a backup version within the Notepad++ backup directory.I do have a backup version from last year.How can I fix this corrupt file?...
  5. How do I make two different shortcuts have the same name?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make two different shortcuts have the same name?: I'm trying to make none of my shortcuts have a name by using the alt + 255 trick but so far I can only get one to work because only one can have no name. submitted by /u/Rogue598 [link] [comments]...
  6. Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

in Windows 10 Support
    Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content: Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames? 121161
  7. How do I activate a spell check on notepad?

How do I activate a spell check on notepad?: above: How do I activate a spell check on notepad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-activate-a-spell-check-on-notepad/ff92eda3-6a62-45f1-99df-db6f1bb6116c
  8. notepad text file.............how do I convert it to be in excel?

notepad text file.............how do I convert it to be in excel?: how do I convert a notepad text file into being an excel file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/notepad-text-filehow-do-i-convert-it-to-be-in/04af626b-2176-4693-8ea5-55376e4756fb
  9. how do I convert notepad text to readable text?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I convert notepad text to readable text?: how do I convert notepad text to readable text? I have a document in notepad format. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-convert-notepad-text-to-readable-text/56557cbc-965a-42bd-b22b-7e8238a6b9b1
  10. How do I copy files with the same name and keep both

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I copy files with the same name and keep both: I'm trying to copy photos off my iPhone into my folders on my laptop and per Apple's ridiculous system, some of the photos have the same name. When I try to copy them, Windows 10 only gives me two options for files with the same name: replace or do not copy. In older versions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. way to check selected areas in notepad files are the same

2. hash of two notepad file with same name will be same or different