Windows 10: How do I check to see if someone is using my bandwidth?

Discus and support How do I check to see if someone is using my bandwidth? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every night around 11 P.M. the internet connection speed is either drastically reduced or web pages won't even load. I am supposed to have a 15Mbps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Alicia J, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Alicia J Win User

How do I check to see if someone is using my bandwidth?

Every night around 11 P.M. the internet connection speed is either drastically reduced or web pages won't even load.
    I am supposed to have a 15Mbps and at these times it drops down to 5 or none at all.

The service provider has come out and changed the modem and all the connections in the house. He also changed the Ethernet cable from the PC to the modem.

The modem also has wifi built in. I can't get on the internet using wifi for my tablet or cell at these times.

When I call my service provider they do not see a connection with my modem and their system, even though all the lights on the modem are on at my end.

Could someone be stealing my bandwidth? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

:)

Alicia J, Dec 20, 2016

2. how do I check to see if my computer has been hacked

LornaInman, Dec 20, 2016
  3. how do I check to see if my computer has been hacked

please let me know as soon as possible thank you

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

LornaInman, Dec 20, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Sure sounds like your modem/router has been hijacked.

This is what I would do. First, I would reset the modem/router to factory settings. You do this by finding the tiny little hole on the back of the unit. Then with a paper clip (straightened out) insert into hole and push and hold down reset button for 15 seconds or until the unit restarts itself.

Once that is done, sign in to the units web-based page (192.168.x.x) then change the default login SSID and password. Once that is done, then set up your wireless configurations.

Plankton, Dec 20, 2016
  5. Alicia J Win User
    I'm just wondering, since the modem has been changed and the cusadmin password is different, if it's still possible that the modem has been hacked? I did keep the SSID and password the same as the old modem.

When this drop in speed or complete loss of connection occurs, I can't get on the wireless devices or the hard wired PC.

I phoned my ISP and they see no increase in our usual data usage. Wouldn't there be?

I have a button on the front of the hitron modem. Is this the same as the reset done with paperclip?

Alicia J, Dec 20, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    It could be someone close turns on a router on the same channel as you and degrades your signal

Samuria, Dec 20, 2016
  7. Alicia J Win User
    Thanks for the information Plankton and Samuria. The tech is coming to the house on the 23rd so I'll talk to him about a reset or a channel change. I know they didn't try either of those options. I'll post back after that.

Alicia J, Dec 20, 2016
  8. Samuria Win User

If you have an Android phone you can download wifi analysis from play store which will show channels and recommend best one

Samuria, Dec 20, 2016
  9. Alicia J Win User
    No I don't have an android.

Alicia J, Dec 20, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    For Windows:
    inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2016
  11. Alicia J Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR. I'll check it out.

Alicia J, Dec 21, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Sounds more like a problem with the ISP side. Only way to find out is to use dslreports.com Smoke Ping to watch your connection for a few days. It depends on who your ISP is and what devices use the connection 24/7 and could be doing any updates at that time of night.

bro67, Dec 21, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

The tech will not do any reset or channel change. If they go to the pole or to the house and the signal looks good, no problems for the Gateway when they get the test report before heading out for their tickets for the day. You will never even see them at your house. There are a lot of things the techs can do remotely from their trucks and people always wonder why they never see the techs. That is because the techs cannot find anything wrong on the company side.

bro67, Dec 21, 2016
  14. Alicia J Win User
    It's a cable connection and my ISP says it has the normal amount of traffic at the times it drops internet connection. I have a hard wired PC and the only other devices are using the modem Wi-Fi, are 2 mini iPads and one cell phone. The Wi-Fi devices are on but not being used at the time.

I did the Ookla speed test. I'm supposed to have a 15 download speed. It drops to 5 or I can't even load the page to do the test.

The cable company came out and changed the connectors (I don't know what you call them) on all the cable lines. The only thing they didn't change is the cable itself running from just in the house to the outlet the modem is plugged into. Could it be that?

At the times we lose connection, my ISP provider says they can't even 'see' my modem on their end being connected at all.

Alicia J, Dec 21, 2016
  15. AnEdge Win User
    Hi Alicia, Try shutting off your I pads and phone around the time the drop occurs...Its not the modem or any physical connection it seems. Some app or program on your system or network is sucking up the bandwidth.
    Did the problem occur suddenly? Do you remember what you downloaded when the problem first appeared? Something seems to be on a schedule. Have you run Malwarebytes to see if you are infected? Also try to change your DNS server settings in your system and your modem. Google on how to do it...I'm in a rush , otherwise I would do it for you.
    Don't worry, we will get it figured out for you.

AnEdge, Dec 21, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I check to see if someone is using my bandwidth? - Similar Threads - check someone using

2. How do I increase my internet speeds or bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I increase my internet speeds or bandwidth?: My PC right now is capping my download speeds at 4-5 mbps but nothing else in my house has this problem when I check speeds. My normal speeds are between 30-40 mbps and my phone and Xbox show this. But no matter what I've tried on my PC I can't get above 5mbps even through...
  3. How do I increase my internet speeds or bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I increase my internet speeds or bandwidth?: My PC right now is capping my download speeds at 4-5 mbps but nothing else in my house has this problem when I check speeds. My normal speeds are between 30-40 mbps and my phone and Xbox show this. But no matter what I've tried on my PC I can't get above 5mbps even through...
  4. How do I increase bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I increase bandwidth?: I have been working on making my ping to hypixel on Minecraft lower, I have already edited tcp in the registry editor, which worked and made it a bit better, but there is still a bit to be done.People say to increase bandwidth, how would I do this on windows 10 home edition?...
  5. Best free way to see who is using bandwidth on my internet?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best free way to see who is using bandwidth on my internet?: I have a weird situation. I have a new copy of windows 10. Whenever I use it, the next day - even if I only use the internet sparingly, my download/uploads are 3gig (this is info from the internet provider). I don't know if win 10 is downloading things in the background or...
  6. how do i see who is using my wifi?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do i see who is using my wifi?: how do i see who is using my wifi? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-see-who-is-using-my-wifi/a60ed6fd-f9b3-4770-aede-0f194761d73a
  7. How do i prevent Backgrounddownload.exe from using up all my bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i prevent Backgrounddownload.exe from using up all my bandwidth?: Whenever i use my pc for something i always see in netbalancer that this Backgrounddownload.exe is using lots of data nonstop for hours, it lags online games and eats up my bandwidth, it seems its used my the visual studio, but i need it to stop, any idea how? submitted by...
  8. something using my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    something using my bandwidth: I am using Virgin Mobile for wireless internet and a HP laptop. I am on a capped plan and know how to disable windows updates and I do that. I get them when I go to the library and us their wifi. But something is still often using my precious bandwith and I can't seem to find...
  9. something using my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Support
    something using my bandwidth: I am using Virgin Mobile for wireless internet and a HP laptop. I am on a capped plan and know how to disable windows updates and I do that. I get them when I go to the library and us their wifi. But something is still often using my precious bandwith and I can't seem to find...
  10. How do I Maximize the use of Interent Bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I Maximize the use of Interent Bandwidth: Let me elaborate it first. I have decent internet connection with bandwidth: 35Mbps Down & 5Mbps Up. Luckily I have a connection with dedicated QOS by my ISP. Problem: Unable to utilize maximum bandwidth available to me. Note: No problem with my ISP, internet...