Windows 10: How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

Discus and support How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First of all, I'm coming from Windows 7. I'm one that was able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Am I able to perform a clean install of Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JOSHSKORN, Sep 10, 2016.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

First of all, I'm coming from Windows 7. I'm one that was able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

Am I able to perform a clean install of Windows 10 using the same license I currently have on Windows 10? How would I obtain my current key, then? Is it s imply the Product ID listed under Control Panel>System ?

Can I download a copy of the installation media which already contains the AU update?

How would I install Windows 10 onto a M.2 drive? Is it as easy as picking the hard drive to install Windows on during setup?

:)

JOSHSKORN, Sep 10, 2016
  2. Liezl Fal Win User

Windows 10 Sync (including Edge Fav) on Anniversay Edition

Were you able to do the steps as suggested? If the issue still persists, try to do a clean install instead.

Please check out these links for reference:

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

Now Available: Start fresh with a clean install of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Windows 10 may freeze after installing the Anniversary Update

Clean Install Anniversary Update

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Sep 10, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Sep 10, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

You could just use "reset my pc".

Alternatively, create bootable usb stick or dvd

Windows 10

Boot from it, choose custom install, delete all partitions on drive you want to use (backup data first of course), and skip key entry as not needed as you have already upgraded.

cereberus, Sep 10, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
  6. JOSHSKORN Win User
    I've done this once before where I had to start back with Windows 7. When I was done, I'd noticed that my Music folder with the ripped content reappeared, as if Microsoft backed it up and downloaded it to my PC. Does that seem right? Will that happen again?

JOSHSKORN, Sep 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    MS doesn't do that with your data on disk. A clean install is meant to be just that- no added extras. Backups are firmly your responsibility- and here we strongly recommend disk imaging to help you restore your PC to a previous working state as well as acting as a backup.

Note there are other ways of repairing Windows that may help- e.g. an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs, data, most settings. There's a Tutorial on how to do that.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
  8. How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

If that music was in your OneDrive music folder it will show up again once you log in with that same Microsoft ID.

alphanumeric, Sep 11, 2016
  9. JOSHSKORN Win User
    I ended up doing an in place install, I think it's called. sfc /scannow finally works but I still am having troubles with my USB flash drive. It's a PNY GB, I'd never had a problem with it, but I'm going to try it on another computer later on today. Other than that, my computer is now running just fine.

JOSHSKORN, Sep 11, 2016
  10. Haxcid Win User
    Actually they do with windows 8 or newer and you are using a MS account to log in to your computer with sync turned on. If you have a large enough one drive, you can tell it to sync what ever you want and it will back it up for you. I do it at home so all my computers and laptops are identical, as well as I do it here at work in our enterprise environment. When ever I log into a users windows 10 pc I get my desktop with my wallpapers, favorites etc.

Haxcid, Sep 12, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    ..er .. whatever you want?
    "When sync is turned on, Windows 10 keeps track of your theme, apps, Internet Explorer settings, passwords, language preferences, Ease of Access, and other Windows settings you care about and sets (syncs) them for you on all your Windows 10 devices that you sign in to with your same Microsoft account."

- but not the bulk of your user data...which is what I had in mind...sorry that wasn't clear enough. Could you confirm?

How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update? [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update? - Similar Threads - clean install Anniversary

2. How do I clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  3. How do I do a perfect Windows 10 Clean Install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I do a perfect Windows 10 Clean Install?: I was told in another question over in the Performance & System Failures forum and I forgot to make myself a How To doc. Hopefully the guy that had given me his list will see this and give it to me again. I hope it's just a simple Copy / Paste for him and that's what I'll do...
  4. How do I get the Anniversary Update??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I get the Anniversary Update??: The whole saga about the Anniversary Update has me very confused. How can I determine if I have the update, and if I don't have it how do I get it? 82732
  5. Windows 10 Anniversary CLEAN install: a nightmare!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary CLEAN install: a nightmare!: I'll try to keep it short. I did a clean install of Windows 10 anniversary on a new SSD 240 GB and all the drive detached. I did it 3 time and now it's 10 days I'm working on it to have an working OS. The actual problems are: 1) keep freezing both file explorer and Chrome...
  6. BSOD after clean install Windows 10 Anniversary

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after clean install Windows 10 Anniversary: Hi, After updating to Windows 10 Anniversary, my PC got this issue: every programs including Start Menu, Taskbar, Windows Explorer, etc freeze after I log in. I couldn't even log off, turn on task manager using Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+ESC. I searched and tried many...
  7. Anniversary Update - Clean Install - First Impressions

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - Clean Install - First Impressions: My first impressions: Pros: Seems a bit faster overall - I did a complete system image backup in 00:02:09 (previously took 00:02:35) OS install uses less space (at least for my installation) Event viewer shows no new instances (I had two known issues before and they are...
  8. Clean Install Windows 10 Anniversary

Clean Install Windows 10 Anniversary: Hiya....Has the Media Creation tool been updated to this version so I can do a clean install...there is no way of telling? TIA 60042
  9. Clean Install of Windows 10 including Anniversary Update

Clean Install of Windows 10 including Anniversary Update: I have a problem after installing the Anniversary Update of Windows 10. This post concerns the process which involves a clean re-install of Windows 10 by the method which includes downloading and running Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, choosing "Create Media for another PC"....
  10. Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly: Hi all, Wondering if anyone else has experienced an icon display issue on their start menu with the 1607 update? I have just clean installed (and fully updated) the 1607 Anniversary Update on 2 PC's and both are experiencing an identical issue with their start menu. The...