Windows 10: How do I clear Recent Files hyperlink list in Word 2016?

Discus and support How do I clear Recent Files hyperlink list in Word 2016? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; If you do Ctrl+K in Microsoft Word 2016 you get an Insert Hyperlink dialog box. There are 3 tabs to get sources for hyperlinks. These are Current... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Ben321, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Ben321 Win User

How do I clear Recent Files hyperlink list in Word 2016?

If you do Ctrl+K in Microsoft Word 2016 you get an Insert Hyperlink dialog box. There are 3 tabs to get sources for hyperlinks. These are Current Folder, Browsed Pages, and Recent Files.

Current Folder shows the files in the current folder.

Browsed Pages shows the Internet Explorer browsing history (and can easily be cleared from IE's options menu).

Recent Files is the section that has entries that I have no idea how to clear. It's not connected to IE's browsing history. I don't know what the source is for this list (is it in a file? or a registry entry? or maybe even hidden as an alternate data stream?), but would like to know so that I can clear it. Being able to clear this would help to increase my computer privacy. If a hacker got a hold of this list, they could know what files I've been accessing on my computer.

:)

Ben321, Aug 25, 2017

2. Clearing the Recent Documents list in Word Pad.

How can I clear the recent documents list in Word Pad?

GeorgeFabbiani, Aug 25, 2017
  3. Clearing the Recent Documents list in Word Pad.

You must be kidding. I posted the exact same command-line which you said did not work.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 25, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

It's probably using Windows 'Recent items' list.

Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

Edit: I've just looked at what my Word 2010 does. It looks like it's from my recent items list, filtered to show only those documents that Office can open.

5. Berton Win User
    Looking at my Word 15/Office 2013 and the Recent list on can right-click each one and remove or at the bottom of the list remove all.

Berton, Aug 25, 2017
  6. Ben321 Win User
    I just cleared recent items from Windows by going to Explorer's settings, and then in the General tab I went to the Privacy section and clicked Clear. I started up Word and went back to that same dialog box (the one for inserting hyperlinks, and from there in the Recent Files section), and it's still populated with entries. They didn't go away.

I'm using Office 2016, by the way.

Ben321, Aug 30, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I find Word/Office file management does its own thing in a separate way from File/Windows Explorer. Case in point: the Windows Clipboard can hold only one thing at a time while the Office Clipboard can hold many more clips, started with 12 in Office 2007 and now is about twice that. It merely explains why doing things work differently.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I clear Recent Files hyperlink list in Word 2016? - Similar Threads - clear Recent Files

2. How to clear the Paint recent file list in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clear the Paint recent file list in Windows 11?: When I google for that exact question there are loads of web pages giving an answer, and it's to use regedit and search forHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File ListThe thing is, when I open that path, there is no "Paint" under...
  3. How to clear the Paint recent file list in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clear the Paint recent file list in Windows 11?: When I google for that exact question there are loads of web pages giving an answer, and it's to use regedit and search forHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File ListThe thing is, when I open that path, there is no "Paint" under...
  4. Microsoft Word recent list

Microsoft Word recent list: Evening all, I have my option in Word turned off for saving in OneDrive, so everything saves to my computer. But, just yesterday, when I clicked "File," and then "Open," it showed all of the documents that had previously been saved to my OneDrive, and none that I had...
  5. My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.

My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.: The recent file list in excel keeps getting cleaqred by something.the files are still on my hard drive but they don't show up in the recent files list.some times when I open the opne files view the recent files will be there for a few secound and then dissappear.I have talked...
  6. My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.: The recent file list in excel keeps getting cleaqred by something.the files are still on my hard drive but they don't show up in the recent files list.some times when I open the opne files view the recent files will be there for a few secound and then dissappear.I have talked...
  7. How to clear recent files list in search box result?

in Cortana
    How to clear recent files list in search box result?: Hello, when I use the "Type here to search" in my task bar to find an app, it always shows a list of recent opened files. I want to learn how can I disable this feature or clear the list, cause there are some files I have deleted but they still appear in the list and I can...
  8. How to clear Recent Docs list in Wordpad?

How to clear Recent Docs list in Wordpad?: How do you close a single file and/or clear a file from the Recent Docs list in Wordpad? This applies to using Wordpad from any device. ***Modified title from: Closing files in Wordpad ***...
  9. Jump Lists Not working for Word 2016 or Excel 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Jump Lists Not working for Word 2016 or Excel 2016: so jump lists via my taskbar and windows 10, I'm not having much joy :-( I've just got a new desktop (Jan 2016) with windows 10 pre-loaded and I installed office 2010 - jump lists didn't work - so I thought I'll uninstall and install office 2016 64bit - jump lists still...
  10. How do I expand the 'Recent' list in the File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I expand the 'Recent' list in the File Explorer?: I've pinned my File Explorer to my taskbar and I have a lot of quick-access links pinned to it. [img] Because of that, I only get one item of my recently opened folders and files. Is there a way to expand the list of the recent files in that taskbar File Explorer?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to clear recent list from word 2016

2. how to remove recent email detials from hyperlink window of word

3. can I make a hyperlink from recent files