Windows 10: How do I configure menu item order in Desktop toolbar on taskbar?

Discus and support How do I configure menu item order in Desktop toolbar on taskbar? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, This will be my fist post on this forum. I've recently come across a weird dissatisfaction with the ordering of the items (links) found in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by That Random Guy, Aug 8, 2017.

1. How do I configure menu item order in Desktop toolbar on taskbar?

Hello,

This will be my fist post on this forum.

I've recently come across a weird dissatisfaction with the ordering of the items (links) found in the Desktop toolbar shown via the task bar.

Until today, the menu listed the encompassing links in a particular order, and I happened to accidentally move one folder from my desktop. Once that happened, the order changed for only that one menu item/link.

This threw me off in an OCD sense due to the fact that now there was this random folder hanging off to the bottom of the menu not being grouped with other directory links, which were all grouped together.

This then started to get me thinking if I could change how the items were grouped on the menu itself by altering any toolbar configuration, but alas, there wasn't any such option.

Instead, I decided to remove the toolbar from the taskbar and add it again to see if it did anything.

Lo and behold, it did, but now the order was out of wack again.

The folder items were grouped together as I remembered them to be in the menu, but now the other menu links (representative of the other desktop links/files/etc) were out of order.

So, my question is now: how is the toolbar ordering the desktop links/files/etc? Is this modifiable at all?

I was under the impression that it was using the date modification time to order the items on the menu, but now I'm not so sure after what I did to the folder earlier. I didn't even delete it, and simply moved it inside another folder by accident.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro. (build 15063.483)

TIA

- T.R.G.

P.S. - Also, why does the toolbar menu show links to things that I can't see on my desktop (e.g. Workgroup Profile, OneDrive).

:)

That Random Guy, Aug 8, 2017
  2. SRS43 Win User

How do you move a item such as Word, from the toolbar to the Desktop?

Original title: Toolbar in WIN 10

how do you move a item such as Word, from the toolbar to the Desktop or Start page ???

SRS43, Aug 8, 2017
  3. Programs Missing From Start Menu (Windows 10)

There are a couple work-arounds.

Easiest: install Start10 from Stardock Software (Stardock). Be sure to configure it for "Windows 7" or "Modern" style menu. If you configure it for "Windows 10" style, you'll still have the same issue with missing items.

Cheapest: Right-click the task bar, select Toolbars>New Toolbar and make the folder "C:\Users\crockpot\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". That will create a toolbar with all the programs that were on the start menu from your user settings.
    Do the same for folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" to create a toolbar with all the programs that were installed for all users.

smlevinson, Aug 8, 2017
Thema:

How do I configure menu item order in Desktop toolbar on taskbar?

1. How do I configure menu item order in Desktop toolbar on taskbar? - Similar Threads - configure menu item

2. How do I change the order of items in the navigation pane?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the order of items in the navigation pane?: As you can see, MEGA and One Drive are on the top with Home Folder, but Dropbox an Gdrive are on the bottom, I want them all to be in one place, top or bottom, or... I know Windows doesn't have that freature, but maybe from Registry? "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID"...
  3. How do I change the order of items in the navigation pane?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the order of items in the navigation pane?: As you can see, MEGA and One Drive are on the top with Home Folder, but Dropbox an Gdrive are on the bottom, I want them all to be in one place, top or bottom, or... I know Windows doesn't have that freature, but maybe from Registry? "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID"...
  4. The Toolbars item has disappeared from the taskbar contextual menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    The Toolbars item has disappeared from the taskbar contextual menu: This means I can no longer see my Quick Launch, which is annoying. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-toolbars-item-has-disappeared-from-the-taskbar/36664bc0-7ec5-4079-8e71-79fd2a71c0a8
  5. Unknown Items in Taskbar Menu

Unknown Items in Taskbar Menu: I've noticed that when opening the ^menu on the right side of the taskbar, there will sometimes be anywhere between 1 & about 7 of these blue dots taking up the menu. When I put the cursor over them, they immediately vanish. What are they? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  6. Change Item Order in "New" Context Menu?

Change Item Order in "New" Context Menu?: W10: LTSB 2016 (build 1607). Basically this menu: [ATTACH] Is there a way to sort the order? Other methods don't seem to work with this sub-menu. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks! :) 154136
  7. How to Change the Order of Quick Access Toolbar Items in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Change the Order of Quick Access Toolbar Items in File Explorer: How do I change/reorder File Explorer's Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) items? I put a bunch of ribbon commands on the File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar but I'm not happy with the order in which they appear... I added them as I came across them and now I would like to resort them...
  8. How do I change the order of explorer items on the Windows 10 taskbar.

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change the order of explorer items on the Windows 10 taskbar.: How do you change the order of any folder (explorer) items on the Windows 10 taskbar? I am able to change the order of programs, but not any folders I have open. I try dragging them, but they don't move. Thanks 71108
  9. taskbar and menu items not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    taskbar and menu items not working: After an apparently smooth upgrade to Win 10 I realised the buttons on the taskbar don't lauch the programs anymore. Nor do the items on the start menu. The only few that work are the ones added by Win 10 such as Microsoft Edge, and inexplicably Skype and Viber. I have...
  10. How do I organize the order in which the taskbar items show?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I organize the order in which the taskbar items show?: I would like to put the taskbar items in a specific order but don't know how to do that. 37711