Windows 10: How do I create a bootable usb drive for bare metal install

Discus and support How do I create a bootable usb drive for bare metal install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been trying to create a USB installation drive. I have the Windows10 .iso image. I have created a recovery USB drive but it doesn't allow me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Johnml, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Johnml Win User

How do I create a bootable usb drive for bare metal install

I have been trying to create a USB installation drive. I have the Windows10 .iso image. I have created a recovery USB drive but it doesn't allow me to access the image just the advanced options. I want to be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. So:
    I want to boot to the USB stick
    I want to be able to format my drives
    I want to be able to install a clean copy of Window 10.

I have searched and searched online but can't seem to find a solution.
    Your help would be appreciated.

John
    Laguna Beach, CA*chuckle

:)

Johnml, Jul 31, 2015

2. How can I create a bootable USB drive?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

Please see this guide on how to create one:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 31, 2015
  3. LAPIII Win User
    How can I create a bootable USB drive?

This in the page I was directed to: Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File). The link for the "Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page" redirects to the same page. Does the tool not exist anymore or is this a glitch? Where might
    i report this?

LAPIII, Jul 31, 2015
  4. cyberSAR Win User

cyberSAR, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    John, to get the free copy of Windows 10 you must upgrade a qualifying Windows 7 or 8.1 system. Once you have activated then you can do a clean install.

What OS is currently on the computer? Your specs say Win 10 Pro. Were you in the Insider program? If so and if you are at build 10240 then you can do a Clean Install.

What OS was originally on the computer? If it came with Windows 8/8.1 then it's UEFI/GPT setup and Rufus will allow you to create the flash drive for that. Otherwise you probably want BIOS/MBR.

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Johnml Win User
    I have installed Windows 10 Pro from 8.1 pro. No I was not on the insider program. What is BIOS/MBR?? I have the windows 10 iso image I just can figure out how to create a bootable USB drive so I can mount and install the image. I want to be able to format my disks and install clean without any help from the OS.

Thanks for your reply

Johnml, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Use Rufus as mentioned.

So you upgraded to Win 10 Pro from 8.1 Pro and activated it? If so then you can clean install.

Did it come with 8 or 8.1? If so then as I said, you select UEFI/GPT mode using Rufus.

How do I create a bootable usb drive for bare metal install [​IMG]

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  8. bobkn Win User

I'm a little confused by what you post.

Do you want a bootable USB thumb drive with the Windows 10 installer on it?

I haven't used any of the third party utilities (Rufus).

I've done it by creating a bootable thumb drive using diskpart. (It's easy for the FAT32 version, which is what a UEFI motherboard requires anyway.) Once you've prepared the drive, you can mount the .iso. It shows up as a drive, and you can copy all of its contents to the thumb drive.

You can also do it from the Media Creation Tool, at the cost of another 3GB download.

When you boot from the USB drive, you can format or delete drive partitions, partway through the install process.

BIOS is Basic I/O System. MBR is Master Boot Record. UEFI is Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (a recent replacement for the BIOS). GPT is GUID Partition Table (replacement for MBR). Wikipedia can be your friend.

The P8Z77m is a UEFI/GPT system.

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Rufus is easier *Smile

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    It's probably safer, too. (Careless use of diskpart could do some serious damage.)

Sometimes I like to use the old command line utilities. Makes me feel like an IT person. (I'm not.)

bobkn, Aug 1, 2015
  11. Johnml Win User
    I got Rufus and it solved all my problems although I used the NTFS format but my bios as options for that format under alternative boot order. I'll probably do it again with Fat32 to avoid the extra bios step.

If I want to format my drive are there utilities to do that. Windows doesn't always offer the options to delete partitions and format.

Thanks again for all your quick replies and suggestions.

John

Johnml, Aug 1, 2015
  12. cyberSAR Win User
    Can't remember the exact steps but you can boot the usb and format or clean with diskpart prior to installing.

cyberSAR, Aug 1, 2015
  13. Ztruker Win User

You can delete partitions and format during the install, but if you delete all partitions, do not create or format any news ones, just click on Next and let the installer create and format the partitions it needs.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I create a bootable usb drive for bare metal install - Similar Threads - create bootable usb

2. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  3. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  4. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  6. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  7. How to create a bootable USB drive for window 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to create a bootable USB drive for window 10?: Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-for-window-10/c9f12e23-322b-49a8-a8eb-d8638aac40dc
  8. How to Create Bootable USB

How to Create Bootable USB: Hi, Just downloaded windows 10 Installation Media from Download Windows 10 . There are two options there Update and Download tool now. I first tried Update and was told that a newer version was available. This was downloaded successfully. That said, the reason I went on there...
  9. Issue creating bootable USB drive

Issue creating bootable USB drive: Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not...
  10. How do I create a bootable USB drive with an ISO?

How do I create a bootable USB drive with an ISO?: Tried looking this up online, but couldn't find any specific information. I'm running on Windows 10 Home, and I have a Windows 10 ISO I want to put in a flash drive so it's bootable. How do I do this? 29400

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bare metal recovery wipes flash drive

2. bare metal iso install usb drive