Windows 10: How do i customize the start menu?

Discus and support How do i customize the start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So basically what i want to do, is to remove everything from the start menu, and add what i want. I dont want to see a list of all apps i have or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jerkalerka, Aug 19, 2016.

1. How do i customize the start menu?

So basically what i want to do, is to remove everything from the start menu, and add what i want.
    I dont want to see a list of all apps i have or whatever else it shows me.

I just want it gone, plain and simple, and to add what i feel is important.
    Under "Most used" i have the most used, but i dont really like all of it there.

The rest of it, administration tools for windows, alarm and watch, connect, film&tv, the list goes on..
    I removed all shortcuts i could find and stuffed the rest together in a folder called "Stuff".
    But there are still plenty of useless items that needs to disappear.

It doesnt need to be there, i can access it from whatever other place, if i ever need it..

How do i fix this?

:)

jerkalerka, Aug 19, 2016

2. how do i customize the words on the screen from 100 to 125 % for a long period

so how can I increase the words on the screen from 100% to 125 % I want to customize and change as permanent because of my vision .

lyndadarla-bella, Aug 19, 2016
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    how do i customize the words on the screen from 100 to 125 % for a long period

Hi Lynda,

Adjusting Windows 10 display according to your preference is made easy for you. We have an article on our support site that covers the topic on how you can make Windows easier to see. Kindly visit the link provided here and see if it helps:

Make Windows easier to see.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Nick Dich, Aug 19, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

How do i customize the start menu?

Hi @jerkalerka, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

In short, you need to turn off some settings like 'show most used', uninstall whatever you can, create your own shortcuts of what you'd like to show and 'Hide' the rest.
    I'm working on a video tutorial but right now it's still about an hour long!!! A bit more editing! *Wink

Edwin, Aug 19, 2016
  5. zekeblue Win User
    zekeblue, Aug 19, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Okay, my video tutorial is a mess, so, I'll compile the basics in a nutshell here:

First, go to Settings/Personalization/Start and turn off 'Occasionally show suggestions in Start', 'Show most used Apps' and 'Show recently added Apps', if you don't want to see those lists.

Second, if you want to uninstall Universal Apps, you can do so through various 'Power Shell' methods; a few of the most reliable methods found here:

Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Third, you'll need to navigate to 2 folders:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

in those folders you can create 'secondary' shortcuts of all the items in the sub-folders and put them in the 'Parent' folder and also customize the ones that already reside there.
    DO NOT cut and paste the existing ones into the parent folder, make copies! Especially the system shortcuts.

Then you need to rename the shortcuts:
    I've found that using an Alt Code prefix for shortcuts will eliminate the alphabet headings and will put everything in the '&' category.
    (Just Google 'Alt Codes')
    Example: Alt+3 is ♥ which can be used for 'favorites'; Alt+4 is ♦, Alt+7 is • 'bullets', etc. The Alt Codes also maintain a hierarchy all their own, so play around with a few.
    You can also right click each shortcut and go to Properties/Shortcut/Change Icon to change the look.
    Last, select everything you wish to hide, right click, check mark 'Hidden', click Apply and OK.

Here is my full Menu shown in Full Screen and normal, (in High Contrast), notice the Alt Code prefixes on the names:

How do i customize the start menu? [​IMG]

How do i customize the start menu? [​IMG]

(Haven't found a way to get rid of that 'Connect' shortcut!) *Confused

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do i customize the start menu?

1. How do i customize the start menu? - Similar Threads - customize start menu

2. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  3. How do I further customize the pinned items in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I further customize the pinned items in the start menu?: [ATTACH] I'd like to add a picture to the background of some of these programs, sorta like live tile. Is there a way to do that? (Also, the 2 covered tiles are the weather and photos tiles) A lot of the shortcuts just have the default accent color, which I don't like....
  4. How can the Start Menu be customized?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can the Start Menu be customized?: I was able to determine the three folders that contain the Start Menu items here: Windows 10: why can't I customize the Start Menu . I was then able to add "Microsoft Office" to the Start Menu, but only if I put it in ...\users\username. Trying to create the Microsoft...
  5. How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?: I found an article about how to do this that described this method: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3wnohc/is_there_a_way_to_pin_custom_shortcuts_to_the/ but this doesn't work. There are only a handful of folders and shortcuts in this folder, not anywhere near the...
  6. How do I create custom categories in the start menu? w10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I create custom categories in the start menu? w10: With the amount of software installed on a modern work PC you need the possibility of creating custom categories in your start menu, something which was removed in windows 10. Is there a built in way of doing this or is the only option to install a skin or start menu...
  7. Customizing Start Menu

Customizing Start Menu: [ATTACH] When I move or delete items in this folder^ the start menu doesn't change even when I reboot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/379fa108-dbbf-417e-a444-dfcdf48a0768
  8. Customizing Start Menu

Customizing Start Menu: When I try to edit start menu in Explorer it does let me make changes but my changes are not reflected on the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/0733cd6f-d942-4239-b4af-4d778204fb8e
  9. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi all If this post is a repeat of an existing topic, I apologize, I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm trying to customize the Windows 10 start menu and I'm running into an issue with grouped boxes (the icons boxes created by placing one icon on top of another,...
  10. Customizing the Start Menu

Customizing the Start Menu: Is there a way to customize the Start Menu so I can remove the ABC letters & also place shortcuts into folders? What I mean is this: In 7, after I install a program, I can R-click the Orb & select (If I remember correctly) Properties or Open Windows Explorer. Opening Windows...