Windows 10: How do I delete a Homegroup from the network

Discus and support How do I delete a Homegroup from the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OK, just upgraded to Windows 10 and I am unable to create a new Homegroup because one that I created a long time ago is still showing up. I do not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JasonD33, Jul 29, 2015.

1. JasonD33 Win User

How do I delete a Homegroup from the network

OK, just upgraded to Windows 10 and I am unable to create a new Homegroup because one that I created a long time ago is still showing up. I do not remember the password to join it and that user has been formatted a long time ago. I cannot find anything online that can get rid of this homegroup. All other computers have left the group and have been restarted and still I cannot get rid of it. I do not understand why Microsoft didn't add a create new Homegroup option for cases like this.

:)

JasonD33, Jul 29, 2015
  2. MTVNJ Win User

delete the Homegroup so I can create a new HomeGroup

On Windows 10 - It tells me that my PC has created a homegroup on the network.

I cannot view the password? When I try it is not an active option.

How do I start delete the Homegroup so I can create a new HomeGroup?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

MTVNJ, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Homegroup - Says one already exists

I have 2 PC's and one laptop on my home network. All are running Windows 10 with all updates. I went to each of them and deleted the idstore.sst and related files. The second PC and laptop now says after restart that I can join the homegroup but my primary
    PC says that a desktop has a homegroup started. It appears to be an older instance - maybe a homegroup that was started by my system before upgrade/fresh install. How do I located and delete it from the network?

Thanks,

A

glugglughic, Jul 29, 2015
  4. rassilon Win User

rassilon, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  6. JasonD33 Win User
    I don't know what fixed it, but it works now. Thank you guys. I think it was the yellow box. I did come across it and it didn't work the first time, but now it did.

JasonD33, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  8. How do I delete a Homegroup from the network

MY ultimate solution (by "ultimate", I mean that I searched for a "working" answer for days on this subject) was that eventually, I realized that I had seen a couple of people mention......but only casually (as opposed to EMPHATICALLY!!!) that ALL MACHINES on the network should be turned off.

THEN and ONLY then, go to the machine you'd like to use to set up a HomeGroup.

Go to Control Panel, click on HomeGroup.

If your experience turns out anything like mine........you should see an invitation to CREATE a HomeGroup, a chance to determine which files you'd like to SHARE amongst other devices on the group.......and then HomeGroup (not YOU) will create a password and automatically populate the password box with it.

The instructions say to write it down or print it.......but, don't be crazy! Just copy it and past it into an email to yourself. That way, when you're setting up the HomeGroup on all the other devices, just open your email on those computers and when HomeGroup asks you to type in the password, you can just open your email, copy the password, then paste it into the password field. You'll also be able to put it into your Google Contacts list under a new contact called.......go figur.....HomeGroup!

Simple Simon..........ONCE you know about turning off all the PCs on your network.

Cheers,
    The Kid.

UncleScotty, Oct 7, 2016
  9. gagard Win User
    Uncle Scotty, you are a fine American.
    I had tried and tried....but until I turned off the other computers, nothing worked!
    Thanks!

gagard, Aug 23, 2017
  10. You're pulling my leg, right? We DO have computers up here in Canada.......AND we actually know how to use 'em! How do I delete a Homegroup from the network :)

UncleScotty, Aug 24, 2017
  11. gagard Win User
    Then I am positive that Sgt. Preston and Yukon King would be proud of your efforts to help others!

gagard, Aug 24, 2017
  12. Not to mention his horse, Rex! How do I delete a Homegroup from the network :)

UncleScotty, Aug 27, 2017
  13. boxanarp Win User

Just registered to this fine forum, and I have to say a BIG THANKS! to UncleScotty regarding this issue, like you I had spent hours trying to resolve this maddening issue regarding deleting and creating a Homegroup, but your tip of turning off all my other pc's worked a treat!! many, many thanks , all the best, Dave

boxanarp, Oct 31, 2017
  14. Fix it by turning off all comps and start only the creator's one, stop all peernetworking and homegroup services...stupid Windows

windsailor, Dec 28, 2017
  15. ScoJamBre Win User
    Thanks for the info. Spent quite some time (couple of hours) trying to get this worked out. This was the answer. Don''t know why, with so many people having this issue that MS doesn't have an answer or patch for this! *Sad

Take care...

ScoJamBre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I delete a Homegroup from the network - Similar Threads - delete Homegroup network

2. how do i delete hidden network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i delete hidden network: how do i remove an hidden network from my computer since someone has done something to my internet connection so it is now slower than normal i recently came onto my pc when i noticed "hidden connection" on my pc so i think this is the problem how do i remove it theres no...
  3. How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I connect to an existing homegroup?: Moved from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 laptop, but can't work out how to connect to our homegroup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-connect-to-an-existing-homegroup/95abee85-b3be-46d8-8fe6-591e378edb64
  4. How do I network my Windows10 computers without homegroup in Ver1803

How do I network my Windows10 computers without homegroup in Ver1803: Shame on Microsoft for removing Homegroup from Windows 10 computers. My 3 Windows 7 computers work fine with Homegroup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-network-my-windows10-computers-without/99c0aa5a-bf8e-4450-ad35-e239192402fc
  5. HOW DO I DELETE A HOMEGROUP NETWORK CONNECTION FROM WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1803

HOW DO I DELETE A HOMEGROUP NETWORK CONNECTION FROM WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1803: I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1803 AND NEED TO DELETE A HOMEGROUP NETWORK CONNECTION THAT IS NO LONGER NEEDED?. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-do-i-delete-a-homegroup-network-connection/e10b479c-1612-4f8f-af01-51d03463d9b7
  6. Homegroup - How to delete?

Homegroup - How to delete?: Before I upgraded all of our computers to W10 they were on W7 and we had a homegroup set up and working. For some reason none of the computers can connect to the homegroup anymore - I get the "you can join the workgroup" message and the box to enter the password. Guess...
  7. How do I Create and connect to a homegroup from a diff location

How do I Create and connect to a homegroup from a diff location: Me and my friend want to create a home gorup or network share im not sure how i would do it but i know it is possible when we had win 7 we had a homegroup/network share and i think when we both updated to win 10 we could still connect but thne we both had to reset our pc to...
  8. Deleting The Homegroup

Deleting The Homegroup: OK, so having had some issues with Homegroup recently, the general advice seems to be to delete it altogether and just rely on standard networking. But I really, really don't want to have to log on to my PC's. While I understand that I can set the Windows Credentials to...
  9. How do I delete Network Location MRU?

How do I delete Network Location MRU?: Regarding the "Add Network Location Wizard" as you can see from the screenshot? I googled around and saw something about Network Map MRU regedit but that's no longer located in the same place, seems to have changed in Windows 10. https://i.imgur.com/jg7Ld6W.png 105613
  10. Homegroup/Networking Problems

Homegroup/Networking Problems: I adopted the Windows 10 preview back before July, did a fresh install and had it working with another PC here at home which was Windows 7 Ultimate x 64. The homegroup worked fine between the two... but after I upgraded the Windows 7 machine, it stopped working. I used the...