Windows 10: How do i disable always on-top taskbar ?

Discus and support How do i disable always on-top taskbar ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, i recently updated to Win10 Anniversary yesterday. When i played a borderless window game, the taskbar was still on top of the game.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nicknock, Aug 22, 2016.

1. nicknock Win User

How do i disable always on-top taskbar ?

Hi, i recently updated to Win10 Anniversary yesterday.
    When i played a borderless window game, the taskbar was still on top of the game.
    Full-screen youtube was also affected by this.
    Prior to upgrading to win10 Anniversary, it worked fine, i could play a game in a borderless window or watch youtube in full-screen with no problem.

My question is how do i disable the disable on-top feature? or is it a bug ?
    Thank you in advance

*Edit: Problem solved by installing the latest updates from Windows Update.

:)

nicknock, Aug 22, 2016

2. task bar

As far as I know, there is no UI option to disable "Always on Top" setting.

You may need a 3rd party program to do this: 7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeL's Blog

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Taskbar Always on Top

Until yesterday I had my Taskbar set to be always on top and to hide when the cursor is not over it, this makes it so I can blow the web browser up to 125% and the bar won't get in the way of the web page and everything looks nicer. If I wanted to switch
    apps on the taskbar, because it was always on top, all I had to do was move the cursor down and up it pops ready for me to select an app. Yesterday I thought I wasn't doing things properly when I had the web browser maxed and I couldn't pull up the taskbar,
    but I confirmed it today, the always on top option has been removed from the taskbar options and if any window, not even full screen, but a window that is too far down will prevent the taskbar from being brought up, and if it does come up for some reason it
    is always behind the windowed application, obscuring which apps are where on the taskbar.

Please bring the taskbar always on top option back.

MichaelTozier, Aug 22, 2016
  4. keid Win User

Hello,
    I have the same problem. I have installed all updates and still, taskbar is always on top.

Right now I have version of Windows: 10.0.14393
    What's yours?

5. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Sep 29, 2016
  6. keid Win User
    Actually this might be solution but it's not. Before anniversary update everything was ok. I dont want to teach myself how to work with autohide taskbar. I just dont want to have it all time on top.

7. Hello, I have this problem and would like to find a solution that doesn't require using auto-hide taskbar.

alfredonevv, Oct 5, 2016
  8. How do i disable always on-top taskbar ?

@alfredonevv , the latest update from Microsoft solves the problem. The new update from Microsoft is patching all the problems with anniversary update. So, just install new update and you are good to go.

swarajnandedkar, Oct 5, 2016
  9. My device is up to date and I still have this problem.

alfredonevv, Oct 8, 2016
  10. cbdoc Win User
    Having the same issue. This just started happening. Anyone resolve this?

cbdoc, Oct 24, 2016
  11. Mallie Win User
    Settings, Personalisation, taskbar, automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode, play full screen video check it goes away then go back to settings and turn that setting off. Worked for me.

Mallie, Nov 2, 2016
  12. Tuishimi Win User
    I would like to be able to disable "always on top" and not use auto hide, since I would prefer that my task bar always be in place... there was a way to do it for Windows 7, is there one for Windows 10?

Tuishimi, Nov 11, 2016
  13. Mallie Win User

Yeah, if you go to Settings, Personalisation, taskbar, all the options are there for taskbar. Disable auto hide from there.

Mallie, Nov 11, 2016
  14. Adia Win User
    Hi, I still have this same issue despite having latest updates. Adjusting the taskbar settings does not help. The issue has arisen since the anniversary update and goes away if the anniversary update is removed so it is not related at all to the auto hide taskbar option which has been present since early versions of windows.

Any program flagged as "always on top" triggers it, even the windows calculator when set to be always on top will also force the taskbar to also be always on top.

An example in my case would be wanting to watch a video tutorial for something with the program itself running borderless fullscreen in the background, before the anniversary update I would just have the program and the video showing on my screen, but since the update I would instead now have the video, the program and the taskbar showing where the taskbar is covering up some of the program controls making it unusable.

15. Tuishimi Win User
    I know how to turn autohide on and off, and even have a keystroke setting to turn it on and off without going into the settings, thanks to 7TT. But what I want is to change the "always on top" to not be "always on top". I did, again through 7TT, find a way to do that but basically it messes other things up. Like the start menu.

Anyway, here's to hoping microsoft can make that more flexible and add configuration options in the future.

Tuishimi, Nov 11, 2016
Thema:

1. How do i disable always on-top taskbar ? - Similar Threads - disable always top

2. How do you make the taskbar truly always on top on Win11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you make the taskbar truly always on top on Win11?: Ive had this issue in Win10 as well, that when I have a window/program behind the taskbar, I open up the taskbar and right click something in it in the tray to the right, it just disappears!I suppose this is in fact a bug, Ive kinda just went by the years hoping some dev at...
  3. How do you make the taskbar truly always on top on Win11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you make the taskbar truly always on top on Win11?: Ive had this issue in Win10 as well, that when I have a window/program behind the taskbar, I open up the taskbar and right click something in it in the tray to the right, it just disappears!I suppose this is in fact a bug, Ive kinda just went by the years hoping some dev at...
  4. taskbar always on top issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar always on top issue: Hello Guys and Gals, I have a weird issue with my taskbar, it is always on top of everything. What I mean is when I play any game in full screen the taskbar shows on screen. I tried the alt + enter and that does not fix it. I made sure taskbar is not locked and problem...
  5. Win 10 PRO How to disable taskbar always on top - Wonderware Intouch

Win 10 PRO How to disable taskbar always on top - Wonderware Intouch: hello MS community I have here several PCs all Windows 10 pro all most up to date. The problem is that currently "Wonderware intouch window viewer" (hmi software) users can escape to OS, access taskbar and start menu. I configured everything I could in window maker app to...
  6. How do i disable taskbar always on top?

How do i disable taskbar always on top?: Hello, from yesterday weird shit happened to the laptop, when i opened youtube and went fullscreen by pressing "F", the taskbar was still there, then when i went to play a game (borderless window) the taskbar didnt hide too, however in fullscreen mode, the taskbar hides and i...
  7. Taskbar STILL not always on top!

Taskbar STILL not always on top!: This is an issue that has bugged me for years. Windows still cover autohidden taskbar! When the taskbar is hidden, and any window is maximized or snapped, the mouse is sometimes unable to trigger the taskbar. I have to shrink the window before the mouse can touch the...
  8. I want my taskbar to always be on top - has this been disabled?

in Windows 10 Support
    I want my taskbar to always be on top - has this been disabled?: Unlike most people (it would appear) I really want my task bar to always be on top. I am a developer and often have tons of windows open. With the latest Windows update now the taskbar comes up behind any windows - so I have to start re-arranging them to get to it. There is...
  9. Taskbar Always On Top

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Always On Top: As of yesterday, the Taskbar on my Windows 10 install is always on top. No updates were installed yesterday or the past week so its not related to an update. I'm guessing some registry entry is messing things up. Any ideas? 67895
  10. How do I disable this annoying always-on-top taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable this annoying always-on-top taskbar?: Hello! So, my Taskbar for quite some time already been acting up, appearing on top on many of applications I am running. It even gets in the way of fullscreen videogames, and that is what absolutely irks me off. For example I've been playing Unreal Tournament 2004 (Steam...