Windows 10: How Do I Disable Search in Windows 10 Start

Discus and support How Do I Disable Search in Windows 10 Start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I am looking to disable windows start search facility, does anyone know where the files are or how to disable this facility. I am looking in doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NorfolkIT, Aug 1, 2017.

1. NorfolkIT Win User

How Do I Disable Search in Windows 10 Start

Hi I am looking to disable windows start search facility, does anyone know where the files are or how to disable this facility. I am looking in doing so as I am restricting access to a user account and although I have restricted the user capability's they can still search tools such as gpedit,msc or msconfig.msc and gain access to these tools but if I can find a way of disabling the feature to search for such tools in the start search I can accomplish what I am trying to achieve.

Things I have done to try and achieve this

Turn off windows search service (set to disabled)

Reg Entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

AllowCortana 0

ConnectedSearchPrivacy 1

ConnectedSearchSafeSearch 1

is there any way to prevent searching apps from start many thanks

How Do I Disable Search in Windows 10 Start [​IMG]

:)

NorfolkIT, Aug 1, 2017

2. How do I disable wallpaper syncing in Windows 10?

Under Settings > Accounts, you'll see the "Sync your settings" section where you can decide what syncs.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 1, 2017
  3. How do I disable background apps in windows 10?

Go to the installed apps and remove them one by one until you know which one is doing it I guess. There are windows apps, there are store apps and there are programs you installed.

you can also go back to sounds and play each sound and listen for the same sound what you hear, and then that sound will list the action it is doing. Maybe look in task manager and watch the processor usage of programs and when it makes the sound, see if
    an app or program has increased for a couple of seconds.

Its a crap shoot but that is all I can suggest.

seahawks65, Aug 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You'll also have to disable New task from the task manager (or the task manager itself); Windows run command e.g. Win key + R ..... or have you already done that?

Disabling Windows search really won't help you- or the user.

Disabling Cortana still leaves you a Search icon I believe.
    (See
    Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials )

Possibly
    http://www.coderewind.com/2015/02/ho...in-windows-10/

Note: without the search feature I'd not have much confidence using the Win 10 start menu... however, if you've only a small number of programs installed, you can readily make sure everything's accessible.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2017
  5. Windows 10 slows to a crawls without it.

Josey Wales, Aug 1, 2017
  6. NorfolkIT Win User
    Hi Yes thanks, all the steps have been taken and all functions are disabled including a whole host of admin tools and control alt del.

Just search function to go but looks unlikely so I will have to find another way around it perhaps using windows 7 again as that could be completely locked down shame but thanks for all your help and quick Reply.

Kind Regards

Bradley

NorfolkIT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How Do I Disable Search in Windows 10 Start - Similar Threads - Disable Search Start

2. How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11: Hi everyone,I am trying to disable the feature that allows you to simply start typing in the Windows 11 Start Menu and Windows automatically searches apps, files etc... on your PC.I don't just want to block web searches, I would like to completely remove the feature of being...
  3. How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11: Hi everyone,I am trying to disable the feature that allows you to simply start typing in the Windows 11 Start Menu and Windows automatically searches apps, files etc... on your PC.I don't just want to block web searches, I would like to completely remove the feature of being...
  4. How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?: I dont want the web search in the windows start menu. How to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-web-search-in-the-windows-start/482128ff-7b6f-4847-bde9-7d97ca79c1af
  5. How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?

How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?: I dont want the web search in the windows start menu. How to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-web-search-in-the-windows-start/482128ff-7b6f-4847-bde9-7d97ca79c1af
  6. How do I disable Microsoft Start on Windows 10 startup?

How do I disable Microsoft Start on Windows 10 startup?: Hello!I have been using Microsoft Edge for a while now without anything like this. Every time I open my Windows user, Microsoft Edge pops up with Microsoft Start open. Not a big problem but for some reason its driving me crazy. I checked MSN and Start settings, as well as a...
  7. How do I disable Microsoft Start on Windows 10 startup?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable Microsoft Start on Windows 10 startup?: Hello!I have been using Microsoft Edge for a while now without anything like this. Every time I open my Windows user, Microsoft Edge pops up with Microsoft Start open. Not a big problem but for some reason its driving me crazy. I checked MSN and Start settings, as well as a...
  8. How do I disable Microsoft Start on Windows 10 startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Windows search - How do I disable online search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search - How do I disable online search?: All of the old fixes don't work, and google is only showing me results from 2-3 years ago. Thanks in advance if you can help submitted by /u/peoplepersons123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fugv1n/windows_search_how_do_i_disable_online_search/
  10. Space bar starts search in folder window? How do I disable this?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Space bar starts search in folder window? How do I disable this?: I have plugins installed that let met use the space bar to preview files like picture or video. But after the most recent update on Windows 10 that changed. I can lo longer use my plugins. The spacebar only counts as typing in a folder window and starts typing in the search...