Windows 10: How do I disable Windows 10 automatic update

Discus and support How do I disable Windows 10 automatic update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I did disable the update, but it still update at startup sometimes. 82849 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tenis, Apr 24, 2017.

1. tenis Win User

How do I disable Windows 10 automatic update

I did disable the update, but it still update at startup sometimes.

:)

tenis, Apr 24, 2017
  2. ymiller Win User

How do I disable windows 10 automatic update

Regarding "Update Settings" on Windows 10:

On Windows 8, there was a setting to download updates, but not install until I manually restarted the computer.

Where is the equivalent on Windows 10?

The "active hours" function doesn't work for me. It only goes up to 12 hours, and my schedule is not predictable.

I just went to the bathroom, came back, and had lost multiple hours of work.

Help!

ymiller, Apr 24, 2017
  3. How do I disable windows 10 automatic update

Try setting WiFi to metered. This works for me. Just remember to set it back.

scottmiller119, Apr 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

The tutorial section here- which I would encourage you to feel free and search as I have for you- offers this:
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Also try Winaero's free tweaker (easy to find)- it gives an easy way to effect some control - with full explanation.

What are you trying to achieve? Stop the Creator's update? Just stop updates 'cos you don't like them? Stop possible restarts?

If the last- I've used Winaero's tweaker to set updates to notify only- never had a restart I didn't want.

N.B. If you disable Windows update and use Defender, you will no longer get automatic updates.
    Then you'll need to search e.g. this forum for ways to set up a scheduled task to update it.

dalchina, Apr 24, 2017
  5. undine Win User
    This works fine.

Windows Update Blocker v1.0

If you block the updates you can still click on the Windows Defender tray icon and update it manually.

undine, Apr 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    But who wants to bother manually updating an AV? Setting up a scheduled task isn't so hard...

dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  7. In "Services"
    You have to disable:

"Background Intelligence Transfer Service"

"Live Update"

"Windows Update"

Sometimes, you can't stop "Windows Update", but you CAN disable it. After a reboot or two, it'll stop.

However, if you have updates in the queue, you'll have to allow it to finish. You have to catch windows updates while it's inactive.

When you're ready to continue updates, just re-enable the three services you disabled.

I did this on a spare machine, and it didn't update for seven months!

Khzyvfonhes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I disable Windows 10 automatic update - Similar Threads - disable automatic update

2. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I completely disable automatic updates?: Hey, it's me again. No issues this time. This is more of an inquiry. How can I disable automatic updates for good? I have them paused right now because of that faulty security update, and I would like to permanently halt automatic updates. I don't trust them anymore and they...
  3. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I completely disable automatic updates?: Hey, it's me again. No issues this time. This is more of an inquiry. How can I disable automatic updates for good? I have them paused right now because of that faulty security update, and I would like to permanently halt automatic updates. I don't trust them anymore and they...
  4. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?: Today I before I left for work, I had several tabs in two different programs open, with unsaved work that I hadn't finished yet. I closed my laptop to put it into sleep mode, came back 6 hours later, and Windows had gracefully updated against my will and deleted a lot of...
  6. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?: Today I before I left for work, I had several tabs in two different programs open, with unsaved work that I hadn't finished yet. I closed my laptop to put it into sleep mode, came back 6 hours later, and Windows had gracefully updated against my will and deleted a lot of...
  7. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

8. HOW DO I? Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    HOW DO I? Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart?: Please help. : After having my windows machine open with desktops, tabs, applications, notepads, signed into a mess of accounts I often find it freshly rebooted in the morning with updates, only to have my productivity unjustly doused. I run a handful of small businesses...
  9. How do I permanently disable automatic updates?

How do I permanently disable automatic updates?: I had 17 tabs open in an Incognito tab all about different things for my jeep. I've been trying to work on it and it's taken me a few days to get all the information I need so I can mess with the headlights, jack, and a couple of other things without the fear of messing...
  10. how do I disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I disable automatic updates?: the latest update(yesterday) disabled my Kaspersky app, and greyed out my button to reactivate it. Had to do a very slow system restore. How can I disable autoupdates ?...