Windows 10: How do I download files without having to use MS edge to open them up?

Discus and support How do I download files without having to use MS edge to open them up? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Even when I open Firefox and download a file. To open it (pdf) it has to open in Microsoft edge . How do I get files to just save to my desktop? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by austin571, Feb 9, 2018.

1. austin571 Win User

How do I download files without having to use MS edge to open them up?

Even when I open Firefox and download a file. To open it (pdf) it has to open in Microsoft edge .
    How do I get files to just save to my desktop?
    I am so missing the simplicity of my mac.

:)

austin571, Feb 9, 2018
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Feb 9, 2018
  3. Links in emails open in Edge. How do I get them to open in IE?

Have you made IE default?

To make IE11 the default browser in Wi10: Control Panel | Default Programs | Set your Default Programs. Select Internet Explorer 11.

Bruce Hagen, Feb 9, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

I install a .pdf Reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader or Foxit Reader and make it the Default Program for the file type. I find Edge to be problematic in that area.

Berton, Feb 9, 2018
  5. austin571 Win User
    Thanks. Went into settings, apps, default, default by file type and was able to change it. Now if I could just figure how to save my scanned docs on my desktop and not the onedrive thing that is driving me batty

austin571, Feb 9, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    Most times a scanning program will save to Documents/My Documents and a subFolder in that but there may be a setting in the program you use to change that. Win10 has a Fax and Scan feature in Start, W section, Windows Accessories, it shows Documents for saving. Having a few Hard Drives I tend to turn OneDrive off to prevent such issues.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I download files without having to use MS edge to open them up? - Similar Threads - download files without

2. attachments have to be downloaded and saved. i used to be able to lcick on them, open them...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    attachments have to be downloaded and saved. i used to be able to lcick on them, open them...: When i click on an attachment now or a photo, instead of it opening it required me to save it first in windows and I don't want to do that. I want to OPEN it and then save it as I choose. It used to do that. I would click on the photo, once opened, and then choose save as....
  3. attachments have to be downloaded and saved. i used to be able to lcick on them, open them...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    attachments have to be downloaded and saved. i used to be able to lcick on them, open them...: When i click on an attachment now or a photo, instead of it opening it required me to save it first in windows and I don't want to do that. I want to OPEN it and then save it as I choose. It used to do that. I would click on the photo, once opened, and then choose save as....
  4. attachments have to be downloaded and saved. i used to be able to lcick on them, open them...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them

in Windows 10 News
    Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them: [ATTACH]Windows 10 almost forces users to use Microsoft Edge as the default application for […] This article Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. I can't open files in Edge without saving them first

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't open files in Edge without saving them first: LeighAskin, I'm having the same issue you are. Earlier this month, I upgraded my computer to a SSD and the new Microsoft Edge was installed and now I can not open ANY documents without saving them first. I just got off the phone with Microsoft call center and they weren't...
  7. I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your...: I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your updates were installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-open-downloaded-files-without-saving/147d725b-3d1c-42b2-9bd6-7c77d6b53ec6
  8. How to open PDFs externally on new Edge without manually downloading them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to open PDFs externally on new Edge without manually downloading them: Hi all. Found this post a while back discussing the same problem I’m having today after installing the new chromium edge browser. Does anyone know of a solution yet? I would like when I click a pdf link for it to automatically open in Sumatra (my default reader) like it did...
  9. How to block file downloads in MS Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    How to block file downloads in MS Edge?: Is there a way to block file downloads in MS Edge? We are using Windows 10 Enterprise and cannot seem to find any information on how this can be achieved.. I would of suspected that this feature is derived from IE policies. We currently have policies in place for IE and...
  10. How do I stop automatic downloads in MS Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I stop automatic downloads in MS Edge?: Hi everybody, I've just installed Windows 10 yesterday and, while using the new Edge browser, I noticed something very annoying and haven't even found any topic about this online: whenever I click on a download button while surfing the net (and I could even have clicked it...