Windows 10: How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11?

Discus and support How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and after installing the update the screen was instantly dimmed. Luckily I was able to power off the monitor and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kelsey Anthis, Dec 10, 2023.

1. How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11?

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and after installing the update the screen was instantly dimmed. Luckily I was able to power off the monitor and then powering on the computer monitor made the screen return to normal. I had installed all the latest drivers for an AMD Radeon RX580. Whenever I disabled the drivers to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter it did not dim down upon restart, but it switched back automatically to the Radeon RX580 drivers. Also when I go into Display Settings it will dim down. Do you know what is causing these issues for the most part?

:)

Kelsey Anthis, Dec 10, 2023
  2. Joan Pin Win User

display dimming

Hi,

There's a possibility that this issue is due to the Display settings of your device. For us to isolate your concern, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Is it only happening when you connect your device to Windows 10?
    • If it's not connected, have you noticed certain activities wherein the screen dims automatically?
    • Have you tried using a different HDMI cable?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Joan Pin, Dec 10, 2023
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 10, 2023
  4. MikaelPi Win User

How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11?

Display dim after 20s

Hi!

Since some update ago my display dims after exactly 20 seconds of inactivity. In fact, it does not dim, this seems to be a software effect. The reason why I make this deduction is because all of the background lowers in brightness but the mouse pointer stays the same suggesting that this is not a hardware dimming feature kicking in.

What is also fascinating is after an additional 20-40s the display turns completely off. This is not how I have configured my power settings.

As a good googler I found a couple of threads addressing this. And I would like to outline what measures I have taken to try to remediate the issue before making this post so that duplicated suggestions are not given.

- Updated graphics card drivers

- Patched windows

- Installed Windows 11 23H2

- Let Windows update check for all driver patches

- I don't have any adaptive brightness enabled nor even available to configure

- Ran the power troubleshooter without remediation

- Edited my power plan to make sure that display off timers are set correctly. They have been set to turn off display after 5 minutes. This value seems to be ignored

- Ran the Intel Graphics Command Center app and turned off "Display power settings" under System => Power

- Forced enable of "Dim display after" in advanced settings (https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-show-dim-display-after-option/) and then set it to 5 minutes. This value seems to be ignored

- It's not hardware controlled as anything outside of Windows (live USB, BIOS settings, boot menu etc) does not exhibit this behavior

As said this seems to be a software dimming as the mouse pointer remains bright as a shining star. It seems to be a newly introduced feature as my laptop has not behaved like this before.

Platform: Lenovo Carbon X1 Gen 10

UEFI version: 1.40

Panel: Lenovo OLED 2k display

Windows version: 11 build 22631.2506

Any suggestions appreciated!

MikaelPi, Dec 10, 2023
Thema:

How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11?

1. How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11? - Similar Threads - easily stop display

2. How to stop the screen from dimming?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop the screen from dimming?: Sometime over the last few weeks, the screen on my MSI Win 11 laptop started dimming. It has something to do with the movement of my body. If I am actively working and moving about, the screen stays bright. If I sit relatively still such as when reading something, after a few...
  3. How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I easily stop my display from dimming after installing Windows 11?: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and after installing the update the screen was instantly dimmed. Luckily I was able to power off the monitor and then powering on the computer monitor made the screen return to normal. I had installed all the latest drivers for an AMD Radeon...
  4. How do I stop windows 11 from Installing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop windows 11 from Installing?: I recently came bank to my laptop after leaving it on overnight to download a few large files.Woke up to windows telling me to set a resart time to install WINDOWS 11. I havent ever given any consent for Windows 11 and it has downloaded it and ready to install anymoment my...
  5. How do I stop windows 11 from Installing?

How do I stop windows 11 from Installing?: I recently came bank to my laptop after leaving it on overnight to download a few large files.Woke up to windows telling me to set a resart time to install WINDOWS 11. I havent ever given any consent for Windows 11 and it has downloaded it and ready to install anymoment my...
  6. How do I stop windows 11 from Installing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?: My Gigabyte laptop dims to the lowest brightness at 35% on battery power, but there is no setting to turn this off. How do I stop this from happening?Battery saver is set to turn on at 20%. This slightly dims the display, but not to the lowest setting.There is nothing about...
  8. How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?

How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?: My Gigabyte laptop dims to the lowest brightness at 35% on battery power, but there is no setting to turn this off. How do I stop this from happening?Battery saver is set to turn on at 20%. This slightly dims the display, but not to the lowest setting.There is nothing about...
  9. How do I stop screen dimming?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop screen dimming?: I thought I disabled all options but it seems like it's still dimming the screen based on what's on screen. When I am looking at mostly dark image, and then switch to a light page/image, I can see it's slowing getting brighter, and then dimming again when I open dark...
  10. How do I stop my display from adaptive dimming?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop my display from adaptive dimming?: Okay so first of all, this JUST started happening after I accidentally pressed some keys on my keyboard (which i forgot) when I go into control panel I cant find the option to disable it and I honestly dont know what to do.. i have a gaming pc i built not a laptop submitted...