Windows 10: How do I enable Hibernate in Windows 10 Pro version on my desktop PC?

Discus and support How do I enable Hibernate in Windows 10 Pro version on my desktop PC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to emphasize I use a desktop PC, not a laptop. My Windows 10 Pro is currently Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198). I have not been successful in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RetiredEngineer, Aug 17, 2017.

1. How do I enable Hibernate in Windows 10 Pro version on my desktop PC?

I want to emphasize I use a desktop PC, not a laptop. My Windows 10 Pro is currently Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198). I have not been successful in finding a way to enable Hibernate, as none of your Tutorial Control Panel Power Plan images match my own -- see attached thumbnail.

Can someone please direct me to a Hibernate enable tutorial which will work for my system?

:)

RetiredEngineer, Aug 17, 2017

2. Boot time increases on disabling hibernation

I am using Windows 10 for almost a year both on my desktop as well as on my laptop. On desktop I have Win 10 Pro and on laptop Win 10 Home. Recently I installed the Anniversary update on both the system. Right after the update I noticed that boot time on
    both the system increased considerably.

At first I thought may be due some incompatible software installed on the system. However I have tried to format and check whether the issue is present or not. Third time when I formatted both the system, I found that as soon as I disable hibernation using
    the command "powercfg -h off" the boot increases. When I re-enable hibernation boot time is back to normal. To confirm the issue I reinstalled Windows 10 previous build and found no such issue occurs with build version other than the Anniversary update.

Details of boot time for desktop:

2 seconds (SSD) - Hibernation enabled

19 seconds (SSD) - Hibernation disabled

Details of boot time for Laptop:

10 seconds (SSHD) - Hibernation enabled

36 seconds (SSHD) - Hibernation disabled

Can anyone explain why it is happening or whether this is a known bug or not?

Regards,

Subhadeep K.

Subhadeep Kanungo, Aug 17, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    New laptop with Windows 10 pre installed

There is a function in Windows 10 called Fast Start-up. As I understand it this utilises hibernation to start faster from a cold start. Certainly on my desktop with Fast Start enabled the bios shows Resuming from Hibernation when I start.

Look at the setting for Power Options in Control Panel and select Choose what the power button do on the left. You should see there Shut-down Settings (at the bottom) and there is Turn on Fast Start-up (recommended) and should be enabled.

Given the statement Restart isn't affected if you do a restart it would suggest that is slower.

Edit

And found this

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

neilpzz, Aug 17, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

How do I enable Hibernate in Windows 10 Pro version on my desktop PC?

5. Sorry, but I could not get Hibernate to show up on my Power menu. Please see attached screen shot for what I did. If I need to follow-up with something else, I'll be happy to follow your directions.

RetiredEngineer, Aug 29, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Try the .REG file method from Brink's tutorial then.

Ztruker, Aug 29, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    zbook, Aug 29, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

After enabling hibernation a restart may be required before hibernate will appear in the power options.

It may be that a reduced size hiberfil.sys was created, this can only support fast startup. To ensure you have the full sized file need for hibernation, type:

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE FULL

The full sized hiberfil.sys will be about the same size as your installed RAM. If you have a lot of RAM and a full system drive it may be there's not enough free space on the disk to let you make a full sized hibernation file.

9. Bree:

How do I reverse POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE FULL? After spending the night hibernating, my Notetab Pro v7 text editor suddenly lost its ability to wrap text -- and for almost a decade I've used it without this occurring.

RetiredEngineer, Sep 4, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    If you want to completely turn it off and disable Fast Startup:

Powercfg -h off

That will delete the hiberfil.sys file.

To turn it back on normally, and let it choose size:

powercfg -h on

You would need to go to settings and enable Fast Startup, it would not be automatic...but the option would be there.

f14tomcat, Sep 4, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    And if you want it to be only large enough to support Fast Startup, then...

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE REDUCED

Thema:

1. How do I enable Hibernate in Windows 10 Pro version on my desktop PC? - Similar Threads - enable Hibernate Pro

2. how do I enable hibernation in power options for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I enable hibernation in power options for Windows 11?: how do I enable hibernation in power options for Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-hibernation-in-power-options-for/e56ccd8c-02bf-48cf-85c3-82b11ce3ef33
  3. how do I enable hibernation in power options for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I enable hibernation in power options for Windows 11?: how do I enable hibernation in power options for Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-hibernation-in-power-options-for/e56ccd8c-02bf-48cf-85c3-82b11ce3ef33
  4. no way to enable hibernation PC

in Windows 10 Support
    no way to enable hibernation PC: my Win10 PC does not have an option for hibernation, i tried powercfg.exe /hibernate on, but that does nothing (though the command prompt administrator system accepts it) and of course i tried the basic way (-Choose what the power buttons do. Next click the Change Settings...
  5. Hibernation of a Desktop PC on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernation of a Desktop PC on Windows 10: I just rebooted my desktop PC running Windows 10. I have set my power/sleep settings to sleep or shutdown, but NOT to hibernate. Can I either delete the hibernation file of almost 5 GB? Or move it from my C: drive to say drive B: or D: on the same computer? The C: drive of is...
  6. how do I connect my airpods to my PC with Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do I connect my airpods to my PC with Windows 10 Pro?: I can't seem to find anything on line to help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-connect-my-airpods-to-my-pc-with-windows/58998320-187b-4c28-a89e-8409215d5b30
  7. How I install Window 10 pro Original version from web without formatting in my Desktop PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How I install Window 10 pro Original version from web without formatting in my Desktop PC?: Kindly guide me How I install Windows 10 pro Original version from the web without formatting in my Desktop PC? Download & Install the product version from https://www.microsoft.com/.But product key has not been asked by the system after updating with latest version after...
  8. Windows 10 Pro version 1803 update failure on my desktop PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro version 1803 update failure on my desktop PC: My PC is currently running Windows 10 Pro version 1703. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro version 1803 using the Windows 10 Update Assistant. The update process failed at 80% of the installation and provides error code 0x8007001f. The following is the error log in the...
  9. Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 Hibernate is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops, and might not be available for all PCs (PCs with InstantGo don't have the hibernate option). While sleep...
  10. Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Windows To Go Workspace using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable hibernate windows 10 pro

2. enable hibernate in windows 10 pro

3. jan 2019 surface pro 4 enable hibernate