Windows 10: How Do I: enable recent folders like Mac Os Finder does? (more)

Discus and support How Do I: enable recent folders like Mac Os Finder does? (more) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, The only thing I miss on Windows coming from the Mac side, is when you save in one application, then switch over to another, and when you go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tedbragg, Mar 20, 2017.

1. tedbragg Win User

How Do I: enable recent folders like Mac Os Finder does? (more)

Howdy,

The only thing I miss on Windows coming from the Mac side, is when you save in one application, then switch over to another, and when you go to open a file the Finder points you back to where you were before. It's a simple and very effective timesaver. I didn't have to fish and drill through folders, even on the office network.

On Win10, I'm constantly drilling down from top level. I know there's a way to enable this, as it was an active feature way back in 98se. I hope MS didn't remove this.

Example: Making photo edits in Adobe PS, save to disk. Switch over to InDesign, click on Place, and instead of being greeted with the last location I saved the InD file, it brings up the location of the just-edited photo. Clicking on File/Save takes me to previous location InD file was saved.

Windows 98se and XP Explorers could be enabled to do this. I haven't been able to get 7 or 10 to, though. Can this be done?

:)

tedbragg, Mar 20, 2017

2. Tabs feature in windows file explorer

Does any one know if microsoft will add tabs feature to windows file explorer (like in mac os finder & ubuntu nautilus) in next anniversary updates?

There are some unoffical 3rd party softwares which will add the tabs feature to file explorer but they are really bad and not comparable to tabs feature in mac os finder or even tabs in ubuntu nautilis.

Thank you guys

MehrzadAhmadian, Mar 20, 2017
  3. Nokia 5230 and iSync

Hi redarmadillo,

try the off-the-shelf solution provided by tangle (see above). It provides 2 configuration files both for iSync and Nokia Multimedia Transfer, and they work with me on Mac OS 10.5. Follow the enclosed detailed instructions for a simple installation (INTALL.txt)
    or do-it-yourself instructions for adapting configurations your way (HOWTO.txt).

It's likely they work also on Tiger, but it really depends on how NMT and iSync are designed: I'm not sure the Mac OS version makes a difference. The only question might be whether the folder where to store the .profile files is the same in Tiger: this I
    don't know.

In any case a simple test should be safe.

Piero

(Note: as mentioned in an earlier answer the downloadable .dmg file has an additional .txt suffix. To get it right use the contextual menu on tangle's link in his post to download the file. When it is on your Mac, remove the ".txt" suffix in the Finder and
    then double-click the .dmg to open it)

pierof---01, Mar 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

A 3rd party program like Listary perhaps? (free/commercial).

E.g. CTRL CTRL adds a box below an open/save dialogue, click one of the icons to get favourites/ recent etc lists, click on one of those for the open/save box to open that folder.

How Do I: enable recent folders like Mac Os Finder does? (more) [​IMG]

Example- Listary box below open dialogue box for Kingsoft (WPS) Writer.

I also still use Filebox Extender (not supported) which has convenient recent/favourite buttons in the title bars of many open/save boxes and file explorer. However, sadly it is showing its age in a couple of respects.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2017
Thema:

1. How Do I: enable recent folders like Mac Os Finder does? (more) - Similar Threads - enable recent folders

2. How do I transfer minecraft java from Mac OS to windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I transfer minecraft java from Mac OS to windows?: I have brought Minecraft Java on mac os and I'm going to use Windows. I don't know how to transfer it from Mac to Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-minecraft-java-from-mac-os-to/b8111f1b-ba65-47ec-a26b-c78ad5675c8f
  3. How to enable recent files/folders history for RemoteApps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable recent files/folders history for RemoteApps?: When working via classic Remote Desktop a user can see the history of recently accessed files and folders , for example, in File Explorer view. That is because Windows creates shortcuts in the Recent folder.However, when working with RemoteApps such shortcuts are simply not...
  4. How to enable recent files/folders history for RemoteApps?

How to enable recent files/folders history for RemoteApps?: When working via classic Remote Desktop a user can see the history of recently accessed files and folders , for example, in File Explorer view. That is because Windows creates shortcuts in the Recent folder.However, when working with RemoteApps such shortcuts are simply not...
  5. How do I get Recent folders!!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get Recent folders!!!!: I've been searching through the forums and despite MANY posts regarding this throughout the years, I found no solution.How do I get a Recent folders option from INSIDE application's menus like save or when uploading files through a browser etc?I'm a UX and UI professional...
  6. How do I get Recent folders!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get Recent folders!!!!: I've been searching through the forums and despite MANY posts regarding this throughout the years, I found no solution.How do I get a Recent folders option from INSIDE application's menus like save or when uploading files through a browser etc?I'm a UX and UI professional...
  7. How do I get Recent folders!!!!

8. Is it possible to make the command prompt more like the Mac terminal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make the command prompt more like the Mac terminal?: Hi everyone, I started using a windows laptop recently, and overall it's been pretty decent, but I kind of miss the mac terminal. I like using bash and having all of the preinstalled libraries in the terminal. I am curious if there are any reliable tutorials on how to make...
  9. How to customize Windows OS like Mac OS X?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to customize Windows OS like Mac OS X?: Hello I'm a Mac user who's moved to PC after decades of Mac use. I do 3D computer graphics. I still do office communication & office work on a Mac laptop and share files via Dropbox. I'd like to customize my PC with various add-ons, but I'm afraid to this without a better...
  10. How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make Explorer remember last location, like Mac Finder?: On Macs, once you open or save a file in a location, no matter which app you switch over to, when you go to open or save in THAt one, it'll point you back to your last used folder. This saves me a LOT of time, especially when it's a deep sub-folder on a network share. How...