Windows 10: How do I enable Stereo Mix when my headphones are plugged it?

Discus and support How do I enable Stereo Mix when my headphones are plugged it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I do not use USB headphones. My headphones are plugged into the stereo audio jack in my laptop. My laptop is a Dell, and it is running Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ben321, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ben321 Win User

How do I enable Stereo Mix when my headphones are plugged it?

I do not use USB headphones. My headphones are plugged into the stereo audio jack in my laptop. My laptop is a Dell, and it is running Windows 10.

Usually using Stereo Mix (which appears as an entry in the "recording" tab in the Windows audio control panel), I'm able to have sound recording software monitor and record the output to the speakers. This is useful when running software that produces sound, but has no feature to save the sound to a file. Stereo Mix allows me to run separate software to record the sound, as it plays from the first piece of software, so I can save the sound to a WAV file.

Unfortunately. This seems to only work when my headphones aren't plugged in. As soon as I plug in headphones, Stereo Mix stops recording the audio signal coming out of the speakers. How does Stereo Mix work? Does it work digitally to record the data being sent to the audio hardware? Or is it actually an analog-to-digital-converter that measures the analog voltage being sent to the speakers? Is Stereo Mix simply incapable of measuring the analog signal that goes to the headphones, because headphones use different wires to carry the signal than is used by the internal speaker (thus preventing Stereo Mix from being able to even see the signal)?

If it's not a problem with diffferent wires being used in the hardware for the headphones, then it must be a problem with how the sound drivers are programmed, as if it's not a hardware defect, then it should be able to record the digital data being sent to the audio hardware (regardless of whether the final destination of the signal is the headphones or the internal speakers).

I hope somebody can solve this, and recommend a way to enable Stereo Mix to be used, even when the headphones are plugged in.

:)

Ben321, Feb 20, 2017
  2. thamKM Win User

Realtek audio not able to record after Windows 10 update

try do not plug in the pc line out when you do recording(headphone line out),

and record stereo mix direct in your recording software.

thamKM, Feb 20, 2017
  3. How to stream Nokia Music Mixes via Play To

Nokia Music Mix Radio offline mixes are not available outside your Lumia device. Unless you plug it into your stereo using the headphone out obviously..How do I enable Stereo Mix when my headphones are plugged it? ;)

Paul van der Heu, Feb 20, 2017
  4. Dude Win User

Welcome to the forums. See if this works for you

[youtube]dG9WqmSicxs[/youtube]

Thema:

1. How do I enable Stereo Mix when my headphones are plugged it? - Similar Threads - enable Stereo Mix

2. How to enable Stereo Mix by GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable Stereo Mix by GPO: Hello I'm trying to enable the Stereo Mix option via gpedit.msc because I have to enable it to many computers. how I do it?Best regards/Ivar Bergelin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-by-gpo/49c0b69a-f8ea-4963-a4fa-aea54d8d4598
  3. How to enable Stereo Mix by GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable Stereo Mix by GPO: Hello I'm trying to enable the Stereo Mix option via gpedit.msc because I have to enable it to many computers. how I do it?Best regards/Ivar Bergelin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-by-gpo/49c0b69a-f8ea-4963-a4fa-aea54d8d4598
  4. How to enable Stereo Mix by GPO

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to enable Stereo Mix in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to enable Stereo Mix in Windows 10: How to enable Stereo Mix in Windows 10? I have read tutorial dated 2018 but it seems that it is outdated now 2021 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-10/1b47dea5-30d9-4992-907f-6e9f5bf1b2ee
  6. Bluetooth headphones and stereo mix

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth headphones and stereo mix: Can't get it to work no matter what I try. Stereo mix is enabled as the default device, listen to this device is turned on and the bluetooth headphones are picked. No sound is being picked up. Stereo mix works perfectly for wired headphones. submitted by /u/goodnightgotham...
  7. Delay with Stereo Mix between bluetooth headphones with APTX enabled/disabled and speakers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delay with Stereo Mix between bluetooth headphones with APTX enabled/disabled and speakers: I am trying to play through both speakers and headphones at the same time so I can sing and hear a good quality version of the song in my right ear and myself and the speakers in my left ear, with one headphone cup off of my head. Any help would be great! Thanks! submitted...
  8. Stereo Mix

Stereo Mix: Why has Stereo Mix been removed as a recording option from Windows 10? This was a very useful feature in previous Windows versions and one that I very much depended upon for the successful completion of my collegiate studies. What do you suggest as a way to enable it again?...
  9. How to enable Stereo Mix on my Windows 10..

How to enable Stereo Mix on my Windows 10..: dSeen from some post: if the sound card? driver? or system doesn't support Stereo Mix, it's impossible to use. So does anyone know how to check whether my sound card support it? Under sound recording option, i've checked "show disabled devices", no stereo mix at all... Many...
  10. How to enable Stereo Mix in Windows 10

How to enable Stereo Mix in Windows 10: I'm running Dell Precision T5400 on Windows 10 I'm trying to enable stereo mix but I can't find it This is picture in sound setting: [ATTACH] This is picture in my Driver manager: [ATTACH] and this is information of my PC: [ATTACH] Can I get any suggest ?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable speakers when headphones are plugged in

2. how do I make stereo mix appear if I dont have anything plugged in