Windows 10: How do I ensure a full backup prior to installation

Discus and support How do I ensure a full backup prior to installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to do a full backup of my drive "C" in the event I have to recover. I'm running Windows 7 Home now. I have a number of apps on it from both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by websquad, Sep 6, 2015.

1. websquad Win User

How do I ensure a full backup prior to installation

I want to do a full backup of my drive "C" in the event I have to recover. I'm running Windows 7 Home now. I have a number of apps on it from both Microsoft and Adobe, and I can't afford to loose them if the upgrade to Windows 10 goes bad. Are these the correct steps:
    • Create a system image
    • Create a system repair disk
    • Copy all data file I can find from other hard disks (drives D, E, etc.)
    Is this all I need to do to have a high level of confidence in the update?

Thanks,
    Bob

:)

websquad, Sep 6, 2015

2. How do you do a full backup?

I don't think there is any other option. Maybe manually copy your memory content.

You may also try to lookup Ovi Suite 2.2 beta....you may be able to find a shared version of it on the net.

neoakl---01, Sep 6, 2015
  3. How do you do a full backup?

Ok will do, thanks

richwhite---01, Sep 6, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

This is exactly what I have done. Yes, I would say your list is complete.

If you want to be really, really sure, you might want to try playing your backup back on a different machine so that you know, that it is really working. I have not done that before my upgrade.

Joergi, Sep 6, 2015
  5. websquad Win User
    websquad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I ensure a full backup prior to installation - Similar Threads - ensure full backup

2. How can I ensure the cleanest W11 install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I ensure the cleanest W11 install?: I’ve been struggling with windows randomly deciding to ruin my computer for some months now. Every time I would get the computer to a properly working state for a few days out of nowhere Windows will decide to make the computer unusable one way or another leading me to have...
  3. How can I ensure the cleanest W11 install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I ensure the cleanest W11 install?: I’ve been struggling with windows randomly deciding to ruin my computer for some months now. Every time I would get the computer to a properly working state for a few days out of nowhere Windows will decide to make the computer unusable one way or another leading me to have...
  4. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  5. Full backup and restore on clean install?

Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  6. How do you do a System Backup prior to doing Full Devise Encryption on new computer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you do a System Backup prior to doing Full Devise Encryption on new computer...: Got a new laptop, and my IT department tells me I have to do a system backup followed by a Full Disk Encryption. I've got an external hard drive for storing the backup, and can't find any instructions on what to do next. My IT dept doesn't have instructions to share specific...
  7. How do you do a System Backup prior to doing Full Devise Encryption on new computer...

How do you do a System Backup prior to doing Full Devise Encryption on new computer...: Got a new laptop, and my IT department tells me I have to do a system backup followed by a Full Disk Encryption. I've got an external hard drive for storing the backup, and can't find any instructions on what to do next. My IT dept doesn't have instructions to share specific...
  8. how to preview an update prior to installing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to preview an update prior to installing?: I would prefer to know what a new update contains before allowing it to be installed to prevent unneeded or unwanted additions to my Pc, if possible. How can I view the new update that is showing as ready on Updates/Security Settings page before it is downloaded and...
  9. Data to backup prior to feature update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data to backup prior to feature update?: Alright so, I'm actually pretty tech savvy. Yet I am unfamiliar with enough to know the answer to this... Essentially, I want to back everything up as I'm currently on 1709 (Educational, so support ended in October) and am getting ready for the 20H2 update. Now, my laptop, as...
  10. How do I fix this...It was going on prior to clean install...and is still going on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I fix this...It was going on prior to clean install...and is still going on: I keep getting a CMD box popping up randomly with this text FINDSTR: Cannot open c:\ProgramData\acer\updater2\updater2.xml The system cannot find the path specified. Cannot access file C:\Program Files\DriverSetupUtility\FUB\+ FINDSTR: Cannot open c:\ProgramData\packard...