Windows 10: How do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD?

Discus and support How do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD? 93625 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fjk61011, Sep 16, 2017.

1. fjk61011 Win User

How do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD?

:)

fjk61011, Sep 16, 2017

2. So now how do I get an iso of that windows 10 after the upgrade or free download.

microsoft will have the iso out soon as windows 10 roll out is complete

akeemscott, Sep 16, 2017
  3. So now how do I get an iso of that windows 10 after the upgrade or free download.

So I am upgrading windows 10 or getting it free after requesting it for July 29.

So now how do I get an iso of that windows 10 after the upgrade or free download.

Is there a website I go to.

HerbertMcDonald, Sep 16, 2017
  4. How do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD?

Which edition? DVD should be fine to fit 4,37 GB, that is usually enough. Enterprise is 3GB, Pro is 4,1GB, etc.

TairikuOkami, Sep 16, 2017
  5. fjk61011 Win User
    I downloaded 16232 and 16251 from the Windows Insider site.

16232 burns to a DVD+R. 16251 doesn't.

There are four editions on the 16251 which I installed from a USB drive.

I want to burn 16251 so as I can fit it on a DVD+R.

fjk61011, Sep 16, 2017
  6. TairikuOkami, Sep 16, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Use a double sided dvd disk unless your writer is positively ancient!

cereberus, Sep 16, 2017
  8. fjk61011 Win User

Tis ancient like myself

fjk61011, Sep 16, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Easy to do, although space saved might not be enough to you.

1.) Mount your multi-edition Windows 10 ISO

2.) Open an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell

3.) Check available editions with following command replacing drive letter and path in WimFile:W:\Sources\install.wim (or install.esd) with the actual drive letter and path to install.wim on your mounted ISO. Note the index number for your preferred edition:

dism /Get-WimInfo /Wimfile:W:\Sources\install.wim

In this example I have the official Slow Ring ISO for build 16251 which contains 9 editions. As I would like to extract the W10 PRO image, I will use its index number 8:

How do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD? [​IMG]

4.) Run following command, replacing drive letter and path in SourceImageFile with actual path to install.wim (or install.esd) on your mounted ISO, SourceIndex number with the actual index of edition you want to extract, and DestinationImageFile path with path where you want to save the extracted single edition install.wim:

dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:W:\Sources\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFileHow do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD? :D:\install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

5.) Copy the full ISO content from mounted ISO to a folder (I use folder ISO_Files for this) on your hard disk, then replace the original install.wim file in ISO_Files\Sources folder with your extracted single edition install.wim and finally create new ISO as told in Part Five in this tutorial: Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

That's it. In this example, the space saved was just under half a GB. Original Build 16251 Multi Edition ISO (UK English) install.wim with 9 editions:

Extracted single edition W10 PRO install.wim:

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks @Kari! I was just going through your tutorial to figure out where to point the OP to create the ISO file after he extracted the single edition to a new install.wim file - and you beat me to it!

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

12. fjk61011 Win User
    OK. Success so far. Going to try to make the ISO now.

fjk61011, Sep 16, 2017
  13. Kari Win User

Let us know how it went, if the space saved was enough to fir the image on a DVD.

14. fjk61011 Win User
    Stuck at making iso. Not sure which option to use.

fjk61011, Sep 16, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
Thema:

1. How do I extract an edition from an ISO so that it will fit on a DVD? - Similar Threads - extract edition ISO

2. How do I extract an old Windows App so I can use it in a new version?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I extract an old Windows App so I can use it in a new version?: I am trying to extract this View 3d App in a virtual machine https://i.imgur.com/cdCd9WD.png submitted by /u/yuze_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e58oce/how_do_i_extract_an_old_windows_app_so_i_can_use/
  3. How do I burn a DVD so the videos are not in alphabetical order?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I burn a DVD so the videos are not in alphabetical order?: When I burn a CD no matter what order I add videos, it puts them in alphabetical order. I want them in the order I add them. How do I do this? I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 and I use the CD software that comes with it....
  4. how do I burn a dvd and con press it it to fit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how do I burn a dvd and con press it it to fit: how do I con press my video to fit on a 8.5 disk it telling me that it is 12.2ge it is in my doc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-burn-a-dvd-and-con-press-it-it-to-fit/dd255d0f-0707-47c9-aed7-0e86afe5eb65
  5. How do I find the path to the ISO file of a mounted virtual DVD.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How do I find the path to the ISO file of a mounted virtual DVD.: Downloaded Windows 10 Iso using a program from one of the links here: Windows ISO Version 1511 help needed - Windows 10 Forums, and I have the ISO mounted as a virtual DVD drive - but cannot find where the ISO has downloaded to. Is there an easy generic way - command line,...
  6. Program to extract label info from ISO disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program to extract label info from ISO disc: I know there is one, I had it and lost it. 93667
  7. How Do I Boot From a DVD - Dell AIO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How Do I Boot From a DVD - Dell AIO: I have my parents' 6 month old Dell All-In-One monstrosity. Since these is practically nothing on the chassis beyond the service tag number I had to use that to determine that it's a Dell Inspiron 24 5488 with a 64 bit Windows 10 OS. I have no idea if it's Home or Pro.I have...
  8. Extract A Single Version from All-in-One ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extract A Single Version from All-in-One ISO: Hello. I have a Windows 8.1 PC with UEFI BIOS. I am going to upgrade this Windows with Windows 10. I downloaded the ISO because recently I formatted this PC so inorder to get the free upgrade is a long way! Unfortunately, the ISO I downloaded is an All-In-One type and is...
  9. How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?: To try and keep a long story as short as possible: I'm trying to install Win 10 on an external SSD, which I can boot on my MacBook Pro. To complete the installation I have downloaded: - install.esd and converted it to install.wim - Windows 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft -...
  10. How to Extract Files from Windows 10 Installation DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Extract Files from Windows 10 Installation DVD: There is a Windows 7 tutorial called Extract Files from Windows 7 Installation DVD and it works great. I need to extract files from a Windows 10 Installation DVD and did not find a tutorial so thought to follow the same process as the Windows 7 tutorial but it fails on...