Windows 10: How do I force Win10 update to re-install Windows Media Player 12

Discus and support How do I force Win10 update to re-install Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm not sure whether this issue should be listed under the Programs and Apps category. Perhaps you could put me right here. I'm finding my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cplloyd42, Oct 12, 2016.

1. cplloyd42 Win User

How do I force Win10 update to re-install Windows Media Player 12

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this issue should be listed under the Programs and Apps category. Perhaps you could put me right here.

I'm finding my WMP is not able to play my Audible .aa and .aax audiobooks, and will not import them. This has been a problem for the past 3-4 months, before that WMP (v12) worked OK. I've removed its library so that it can rebuild it suspecting a corrupt library, but when I point it to the area where my audiobooks are located, it does not recognize them. It's probably a DRM issue, and I was hoping that a re-install of WMP might help fix the problem. I believe this is best accomplished by letting a Win10 update to run, but perhaps this is wishful thinking. Alternatively, does WMP need to be authorized with Audible in order to play these files - if so, how do I do this?

I can't find WMP in the Programs and Features system tool, so can't remove it. I've tried installing WMP11 but this fails because the version in my system is a higher number (v12.0.14393.82). I've tried downloading WMP12 but the sites that claim they have it available, cause either my MacAfee or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to block the download.

I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer me.

Paul.

:)

cplloyd42, Oct 12, 2016

2. how do I re-install Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 10?

You are welcome Shiela.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 12, 2016
  3. how do I re-install Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 10?

I accidentally deleted WMP 12. (could not find it in apps to uninstall). I want to re-install it but can't find any way to do that. HELP!

SheilaSchultzSRS, Oct 12, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

MP12 is part of Windows. Go to Turn Windows features On/Off. Under Media features deselect MP12, reboot, reselect it then reboot again. There are also 3 Troubleshooters for MP12 you can try.

Steve C, Oct 12, 2016
  5. cplloyd42 Win User
    Thanks for that, Steve C. That's a tool I've never used before. It appeared to remove and reinstall WMP12, although the library may not have been deleted.

Sadly, this hasn't had the effect I desired - .aa file failed to play, whereas Audible's AudibleManager utility has no problems with the same file. I noticed on one site some discussion that Audible has in the past changed its DRM process and that this can take some time to filter through to WMP and similar applications. This might explain my experience when I first updated to Win10 - WMP couldn't play Audible files, but after a few months it could. Perhaps this is what is occurring now. I'll just have to be patient and see if it again sorts itself out. It's just surprising that, having just rebuilt a Win10 system from scratch after a disk failure, it has no trouble with WMP12 playing the .aa and .aax - hence my idea of re-installing WMP.

Well, you've solved my original query so I consider this thread to be complete. The existing problem will need to be pursued in other ways.

Kind regards,
    Paul.

cplloyd42, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I force Win10 update to re-install Windows Media Player 12 - Similar Threads - force Win10 update

2. How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?: How do I set windows media player as the default DVD Player? When ever I play a DVD it opens ClipChmp. How do I change that?<Changed to a question><Original title: Windows Media Player 12>...
  3. How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?: How do I set windows media player as the default DVD Player? When ever I play a DVD it opens ClipChmp. How do I change that?<Changed to a question><Original title: Windows Media Player 12>...
  4. How do I download media player 12 to Windows 11?

How do I download media player 12 to Windows 11?: How do I download media player 12 to Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-download-media-player-12-to-windows-11/62f2e06c-b4df-4612-b2d2-b14128797dc4
  5. How do I download media player 12 to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I download media player 12 to Windows 11?: How do I download media player 12 to Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-download-media-player-12-to-windows-11/62f2e06c-b4df-4612-b2d2-b14128797dc4
  6. windows media player re-install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows media player re-install: had to uninstall my media player. trying to reinstall. Windows 10. Followed the link on the Microsoft page: HOWEVER, the old option of "install media player" is now gone from the application menu choice on my end, also, so i can't install from Microsoft. and i don't want to...
  7. media player 12

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    media player 12: Why does windows media player 12 only show my pictures for a brief moment when I try to view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-12/353aba39-5e4c-4aee-af58-893f54ac8410"
  8. Windows Media Player 12

Windows Media Player 12: I have a new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed on it, have had MANY MANY problems, one of the biggest is with the Media Player which would NOT burn cd's for me. I finally just "uninstalled" it completely, been trying both iTunes and just direct burning via my dvd rw...
  9. how to install windows 10 media player 12

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to install windows 10 media player 12: I don't know how to install windows media player12 HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-to-install-windows-10-media-player-12/55d96b76-fc5a-44df-b596-ff7bec1f65b0
  10. media player 12

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    media player 12: up until last Wednesday my media player was working now I cant open my media player 12 in windows 10 the following problem comes up "cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet" can you solve this problem for me please Ray...