Windows 10: How do I format two drives from different PCs and swap them?

Discus and support How do I format two drives from different PCs and swap them? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there! I have a small dilemma and I would like some help. I'm currently using an old laptop that has a HDD of 750 GB. My brother is giving me its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tsilva, May 10, 2018.

1. tsilva Win User

How do I format two drives from different PCs and swap them?

Hi there!

I have a small dilemma and I would like some help.

I'm currently using an old laptop that has a HDD of 750 GB. My brother is giving me its newer laptop and I would like to give this laptop to my mother. Unfortunately, my brother's PC only has 500 GB. So, I would like to swap the hard drives and as such, I would need to format both HDDs and then install Win 10 on both laptops.

Usually, I always formatted the disk while doing a Clean install during the Windows set up. When I searched on Youtube about formatting a hard drive, people would always use the Disk Management program and connect the HDD with an adapter to the laptop. I don't have this adapter and I wanted to do this right away because I'll be going back home in a few days (I live on a different country from my mother).

Is it possible to start the Clean install procedure, format the disk and just stop the procedure there before the windows set up starts installing everything? This is one of main problems, I can't just install Win 10 normally because it'll install the drivers of the laptop where the HDD is in.

I really would like to just do "Reset this PC" on both laptops and simply swap them. But I guess that's impossible. The two laptops have more then 5 years of difference. Even though, both are ASUS.

Thanks in advance.

:)

tsilva, May 10, 2018
  2. kjl1956 Win User

UEFI bios, win10 on two different drives, one 1607, one 1703 creators update

UEFI bios, win10 on two different drives, one 1607, one 1703 Creators Update.

Had issues with 1703 Creators Update on this pc, mainly audio, dts & dd.

Had cloned 1607 first before 1703 Creators Update on this pc, swapped drives.

Now getting messages to install 1703 every day.

The question here is this, I do not want to take the chance of the same issues recurring.

Would it be easier to swap out the drive that has 1703 or cause issues with data

corruption on other media (storage) as it did when swapping 1703 to 1607.

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

kjl1956, May 11, 2018
  3. 2007erees Win User
    Recover Drive is now (C) and OS is now (D)???

Hi,

After upgrading to Windows 10 from Window 8.1, these two drives have swapped letters. Now all my apps and programs are being installed on the Recovery drive which has filled up really quickly. How do i swap them back?

Thanks

2007erees, May 11, 2018
Thema:

How do I format two drives from different PCs and swap them?

1. How do I format two drives from different PCs and swap them? - Similar Threads - format drives different

2. Can I Swap Windows 10 Product Keys between two PCs?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I Swap Windows 10 Product Keys between two PCs?: Hi I have two PCs one with Windows 10 home and the other with Windows 10 pro. Is it possible to swap the product key for the Windows 10 home PC with the Windows 10 pro PC and vice versa? Would this delete any documents/etc from either PC? Thank you in advance for your help...
  3. Two PCs but two different internet speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two PCs but two different internet speeds: I get on about 450Mbps on my several Dell Windows 10 PCs. However, one of my Dell PCs is running Windows 7. The speed on it is about 8Mbps. All of the PCs are networked via Cat5 cables. My iPhones see about 100Mbps wireless of course.So is it Windows 7 that causes the...
  4. Stuttering and Hitching on two different PCs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuttering and Hitching on two different PCs: So this is particularly prevalent in games, there’s an intermittent stutter like a dropped frame or two, it’s driving me mad - what’s worse is I’m encountering it on two different rigs.1st rig: Ryzen 5 5600X, 16GB 3000MHz, 3060Ti 8GB, NVME SSD2nd rig: Ryzen 9 5800H, 16GB...
  5. Can I use software installed on a SSD external drive on two different PCs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use software installed on a SSD external drive on two different PCs?: I wonder if it is possible to install and run software from an external ssd, on two different computers. Not at same time, but the same external harddrive. Will that work? And what about single-licensed software installed with serialnumber. Will that work on one of them,...
  6. My boot drive and system drive may be on two different disks. How do I switch them back?...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My boot drive and system drive may be on two different disks. How do I switch them back?...: Good morning all, First, TLDR; boot and system drives are on two different disks. How do I get everything on the SSD, from the HDD? I am going to lay out the entire situation here, start to finish, in order to possibly get advice for the future and to ensure that all the...
  7. One Microsoft Account, two PCs and two different licences.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    One Microsoft Account, two PCs and two different licences.: Hello guys. Please help me with a guidance, how to properly do such process: Conditions: I got my Microsoft Account, with one desktop device on it main PC and a Windows Home LicenseOEM. I am buying a new PC for my second location in my country. I do not want to make...
  8. If I have two rigs with activated W10 and swap boot drives between them, will W10 be...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If I have two rigs with activated W10 and swap boot drives between them, will W10 be...: I just acquired a new gaming rig. It already has an SSD with W10 home 64-bit activated. I also have my current SSD which also has W10 home 64-bit activated. If I take out both SSDs and swap them with each other, will I screw myself out of both licenses due to hardware IDs...
  9. how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one?: yeah like my title says i just gotta need a word count on this thing.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-swap-windows-from-1-ssd-to-a-different/e51cb526-56f3-4472-a06c-79ca5fd0753b
  10. Win 10 swapped my right and left screens--how do I swap them back?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 swapped my right and left screens--how do I swap them back?: Just finished upgrading from WIn 7 to Win 10 Pro x64, and it seems to have gone well. But the background image and icons formerly on my left monitor are now on my right one, and vice versa. How, short of physically rearranging the displays, do I get them back where they...