Windows 10: How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?

Discus and support How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I play a game available on the Windows 10 app store called World of Tanks Blitz and many of the community members create customized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Silevern, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Silevern Win User

How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder?

Hi everyone,

I play a game available on the Windows 10 app store called World of Tanks Blitz and many of the community members create customized camouflage patterns that you can apply to your tank. The game has its own camouflage patterns, but the more tech-savvy folks in the community will modify them to look better. Great game by the way, would rate 8/8.

Someone posted a smoking hot pattern that I like, so I decided to try to install it and replace the current file for the camo pattern with this new one. However, I discovered that I could not find the folder that contains all of the game files, so after finding a tutorial I have located the WindowsApps folder. A challenge, eh? Take me on, I have the Internet at my disposal!

More Internet sleuthing told me that the WindowsApps folder belongs to the system, and even an administrator account cannot modify the contents without some fiddling with Permissions and stuff. Drat!

So I stumbled upon this guide:
    How to Get Access to WindowsApps Folder in Windows 10

I followed the instructions exactly; however, I discovered that when I pasted the new camo pattern file into the appropriate folder, and ordered my computer to replace the existing file with the new one, it would tell me that I would "need administrator permission to copy to this folder." I pressed the Continue button that had the little yellow and blue administrator shield, and figured that since I use an admin account it would work... clicking that would put me in a loop of reading "You need permission to perform this action," clicking "Try Again," and reading the same message. Rotten system, what's going on?!

So clearly I didn't do something correctly. I reviewed the guide and the only step that I had a minor issue with was selecting a new owner for the WindowsApps folder. I changed the owner using my admin account, which is my email... or is it? I'm not entirely sure.

Is there anything that I'm missing? Some kind of nefarious Windows 10 update that I didn't pay attention to? Quality control issues at Samsung? A fatally flawed instruction from my kindergarten reading teacher?

Thanks a bunch,

:)

Silevern, Aug 27, 2016

2. WindowsApps Folder

Hey, how are you doing.

I've got a problem, I had a file of passwords compressed in RAR format that I was hiding under WindowsApps folder. And then one day I was unable to access that folder. It was something along the lines. They are corrupted / This user doesn't have the access
    to these files anymore.

So I was fidling around under the "Advanced Security Settings for Windows Apps" to gain the full control again.

And also clicked : Replace owner on subconteiners and objects.

And now I can open the the WindowsApps folder, but it just shows as empty.

Please Help.

MikeMaroni1, Aug 27, 2016
  3. .Charlie. Win User
    WindowsApps folder on my data drive

Recently I had to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. After reinstallation I noticed "WindowsApps" file folder on my data drive. So in setup I made the necessary change to have new apps saved to my system drive "C:" instead of my data drive "D:".

The question is: How can I delete the old WindowsApps file folder from my data drive? It is not a hidden file so it just takes up room, and no mater what I try I cannot make it a hidden file, change the security settings to gain full control, nor can I
    move it to another directory. Without full control I cannot delete this file folder, and deleting it is what I would love to do. Any help would be appreciated!

.Charlie., Aug 27, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Silevern, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Using the "Take Ownership" context menu in the tutorial below on the WindowsApps folder should be able to help. It will make your account the owner of the folder and its contents, and allow the owner (your account) full control of the folder and its contents.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 27, 2016
  5. Silevern Win User
    Argh, it still doesn't work! I looked carefully at the screenshots on the Take Ownership installation tutorial and I noticed that when the command prompt stuff finishes, it's supposed to say

"SUCCESS: [folder] now owned by user [user].
    Successfully process X files; failed processing X files
    Press any key to continue..."

My command prompt will spend about a minute running through every single file in WindowsApps and then will pause. I do not see the above "Success" message.

Should I try the Remove Take Ownership tool, and then taking ownership again?

Silevern, Aug 27, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's normal for it to stop like that in the command prompt when there are that many files. It should still have worked.

Test copying a file in the folder afterwards to see if you are able to now. Just to note, that you will not be able to copy/move a file from an external source directly into a Windows system folder. To do that, you would have to copy/move the file to your desktop first, then copy/move the file into the system folder.

Brink, Aug 27, 2016
  7. Silevern Win User
    That must be the reason! Thanks for this tip, I'll try it. I had been copying directly from my Downloads folder... will let you know if it works.

Silevern, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I gain absolute control over WindowsApps folder? - Similar Threads - gain absolute control

2. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  3. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  4. GAINING ABSOLUTE FILE CONTROL / PRIVILEGES?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    GAINING ABSOLUTE FILE CONTROL / PRIVILEGES?: What is the secret to gaining absolute file control being able to read / write / execute ALL files? i.e. I want to rename cd C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.549981C3F5F10_2.2102.8653.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Cortana.exe to No.exe. Access denied. Even in a System /...
  5. How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I gain full control over WindowsApps folder?: I want to install mods in my kingdom come copy, but I cant as it throws error 0x8000FFFF, hence not allowing my to do shit. I need to create folders, replace files and stuff. I could copy the files, but achievements are somewhat more important submitted by /u/iiTheBeast...
  6. How to gain control

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to gain control: Number one, I strongly suspect that Windows 10 FORCES me to take updates, and I strongly suspect that this is either the root cause or contributing factor in recent crash and lockup to inescapable Preparing Automatic Repair" hanging screen. Can't tell you version or build...
  7. How do I hide the WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I hide the WindowsApps folder?: I know that the WindowsApps folder is for the apps I installed from the windows store but I moved it into my D:/ drive instead of the C:/ drive. It's just kind of cluttering up space and I want to hide it since I won't open it anyway. Whenever I try to do Properties > Hide,...
  8. How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to gain access to WindowsApps folder not in C?: Hello guys. I followed this guide to gain access for WindowsApps folder, and it worked. Now, I changed default drive for WindowsApps, to install Gears of War and Quantum Break(in future) in a larger drive. But the method to gain access to the WindowsApps folder, seem to not...
  9. How to gain full control over the system32 folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to gain full control over the system32 folder?: HelloMy computer's username is Steve and the PC's name is Steve-PC.I wish to have control over my system32 folder and all its subfolders and files, so I go to Windows | System32 | Properties | Security tab and see this: [img] and I click on the Advanced button and get...
  10. How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to gain access to the WindowsApps folder?: I already googled it and every tutorial is the same. When I go to do it, it doesn't work. I don't have a Microsoft account. I specified a local account user name. This is what I'm selecting as owner. The computer is not transferring access to the user im selecting. I want...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i gain absolute control over windowsapps folder