Windows 10: How do I get administrative permission to save photos, etc?

Discus and support How do I get administrative permission to save photos, etc? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now cannot save files to my folders. I am listed as administrator when I boot up and this is my personal laptop PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Daveb, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Daveb Win User

How do I get administrative permission to save photos, etc?

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now cannot save files to my folders. I am listed as administrator when I boot up and this is my personal laptop PC, so there are no other users. I have looked and looked for where to fix this and cannot find where to do this. Everything worked fine in 8.1 before the upgrade. It tells me I need administrative permission to save the photo, etc., but how do I give myself this permission?

:)

Daveb, Aug 1, 2015
  2. MBH 1433 Win User

Downloading photos from Gmail

How do I download photos from Gmail into Windows 10? When I try to click on Photos and save. I get a message that says that I don't have permission and to contact the administrator. What do I do?

MBH 1433, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Permissions to save updated files denied

I log on with my windows 10 account password. I can access Photoshop, Picasa and the windows 10 new Photos and make updates, however when I try to save I receive a permission denied and have administrator unlock file or grant permission. I have admin authority.
    If I access the apps with logon as Administrator I can save the changes. How can I get universal permission to all photo files?

KarenGingell, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Retrofire Win User

Hi Dave,

I too have had a surprising number of permissions issues.

If you navigate to your pictures folder, and you look at the security tab, do you see the expected permissions? Meaning, you should see permissions for SYSTEM, administrators, users, your personal account....

Let's see what you're up against here, and then we can talk fixes.

Retrofire, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Daveb Win User
    I show four entries here: SYSTEM, account unknown, Home users (with my name PC name), and Administrators (my PC name again). All of these have all the permissions boxes checked.

Update: the account unknown does not have all boxes checked. Full Control and Modify are not checked here. I do not know where this account is from.

Daveb, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Daveb Win User
    I posted earlier about not being able to get administrative permission to save files after updating to Windows 10. Someone posted a solution that works but the problem now is that the new settings are not saved and I have to redo the changes every time I boot up. This is a very time consuming and frustrating procedure and I shouldn't have to do this every day. What do I have to do to make these changes permanent?

Daveb, Aug 5, 2015
  7. akareload Win User
    1. Right click an affected folder.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the Security tab
    4. Click the "Advanced" button.
    5. Click "Change" next to Owner.
    6. Type your username, click the "Check Names" button, then click OK.
    7. Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" under the owner's name.
    8. Click OK again. If you get a message saying "Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?", click "Yes" and you're done.
    9. Click the "Edit" button.
    10. Click on your username from the list.
    11. Check "Full control" underneath it.
    12. Click OK.
    13. Click OK again.

Repeat with all of the problematic folders.

akareload, Aug 13, 2015
  8. figment Win User

figment, Aug 13, 2015
  9. This seems to be working...thank you! OneDrive is syncing both ways and I can move files without being nagged to death. We'll see if this resets when I restart next like it does for some people and seems to have done before. Again, Thank you!

Ruthie Rayne, Aug 14, 2015
  10. Slugger Win User
    You can also select OneDrive properties->Security->Advanced. Highlight your Microsoft account. Check ON Replace all child permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object. Now I can drag and drop without a popup saying I don't have permission.

Slugger, Aug 14, 2015
  11. I tried that, but it didn't work...Unfortunately there was an update applied this morning when I rebooted, and now my Start Menu and other things don't work. I decided to back up the stuff I have locally and do a totally clean install. We did it on an identical machine in the house and had no problem whatsoever. Thanks again.

Ruthie Rayne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I get administrative permission to save photos, etc? - Similar Threads - administrative permission save

2. How do I get permission to a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get permission to a folder?: I reseted my laptop and now this drive that I used more has backed up or something and I can't acces it, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission-to-a-folder/3fc13414-6e39-4a7e-8c33-acbf8cb79420
  3. How do I get permission to a folder?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I get permission to a folder?: I reseted my laptop and now this drive that I used more has backed up or something and I can't acces it, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission-to-a-folder/3fc13414-6e39-4a7e-8c33-acbf8cb79420
  4. How do I give myself Administrators right etc.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I give myself Administrators right etc.: I am the only User and am the Administrator. When I received my PC back from the tech people after a problem and they had to reinstall Windows 10 I noticed that I did not need to enter a PIN to be able to use my PC. So I decided to set one up using the Settings Menu and all...
  5. how do i ger permission to load a photo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i ger permission to load a photo: Until recently I could copy a photo from an email to my desktop and then file it. now the PC requires me to get permission to file the photo. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-ger-permission-to-load-a-photo/2c7128c4-817a-4b98-a7a6-90ea9a2668bf
  6. How do I change administrator permissions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change administrator permissions?: I am unable to delete files. Error message says to contact the administrator. I am the administrator, owner and sole user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-administrator-permissions/3535f0d4-0c0b-4af3-ad87-c1f49ff7b195"
  7. How do I get permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I get permission: how do I get permission? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission/ff20f65a-2d3a-4205-b59e-6e15b615f927"
  8. Administrator permissions: How do I get full access of my computer?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator permissions: How do I get full access of my computer?: When trying to rename, copy or delete certain files or folders, I keep getting the annoying "You need administrator permission" prompt. I then click the button and it's done. But it's totally annoying and it seems so random because those files are no important system files or...
  9. how do I get administrator permission to use a file

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how do I get administrator permission to use a file: Often, like today, I need to get administrator permission or sign in as administrator to do something. Today, for example, I could not move a file from one folder to another without administrator permission. I am the sole owner and user of my laptop (Lenovo Ideapad G580). I...
  10. How do I SAVE / UPLOAD photos

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I SAVE / UPLOAD photos: Hi please excuse my complete ignorance, since downloading my " free windows 10 " I cant see how to download / save any fotos...when I try to a window opens giving my just the option of "windows picture viewer" but that doesnt seem to be installed, just an app for "photos" and...