Windows 10: how do I get administrator permission to use a file

Discus and support how do I get administrator permission to use a file in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Often, like today, I need to get administrator permission or sign in as administrator to do something. Today, for example, I could not move a file from... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by casale, Sep 19, 2016.

1. casale Win User

how do I get administrator permission to use a file

Often, like today, I need to get administrator permission or sign in as administrator to do something. Today, for example, I could not move a file from one folder to another without administrator permission. I am the sole owner and user of my laptop (Lenovo Ideapad G580). I don't know how to "reach" the administrator. Any help?

:)

casale, Sep 19, 2016

2. How do I get Administrator permission?

This could have happened due to the corrupted Windows component. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you

update your drivers
    . We also suggest that you run SFC and DISM to repair the Window component. You can follow the steps provided by

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP)
    in this
    article

Let us know if you require any further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Sep 19, 2016
  3. How do I get Administrator permission?

Anthony, in previous Forums situation I kept replying with quote till the Forum person asked that I not. I won't this time but if you prefer that I
    do, please say so.

No network, just this H-P Pavilion desktop, connecting online through Google-Chrome.

I had made NO changes to the PC. Used it yesterday, everything worked same as it always had; then today, the slightly different variations, but BOTH User accounts had same Admin permission requirement, leading to same no-can-do by me.

Had been using only my local user account, but attempted to hook in with MS when that's what the Password window seemed to indicate.

Sorry such a doofus but I'm an occasional user of music and video software editing, otherwise only do e-mail and usual online searches.

ScottSegraves, Sep 19, 2016
  4. Vesao Win User

Vesao, Sep 19, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    If the folder you are trying to copy to is (say) C:\Program Files or the one for the Start menu you really don't want to start taking ownership of them. All hell could break loose if you mess up the permissions on those! If you try to copy to a restricted folder then you will be prompted...

how do I get administrator permission to use a file [​IMG]

...click 'Continue' and you will either (if yours is an administrator account) complete the copying successfully, or (for a standard user account) be asked for the password of one of the administrator accounts before being allowed to continue. Windows will give you the name of the administrator account, you just have to provide the password.

6. casale Win User
    Dear Vessao,

Thanks for the speedy reply. However, problem remains: I don't have an administrator PASSWORD . I don't remember ever being asked to create one. Again, I am the owner and only user of the laptop.

casale, Sep 19, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    When Windows 10 is installed, the first user account it creates is an administrator one. If you only have one account on yours, then it will be an administrator (else you wouldn't be able to configure your PC or add more users).

The easiest way to check what type of account you have is to click 'Accounts' in 'Settings', it will tell you if you are an administrator and have the ability to manage/create other accounts in 'Family & other people', like this:

A standard user account will only see this:

What type of account do you have?

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how do I get administrator permission to use a file - Similar Threads - administrator permission file

2. How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?: How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-file-that-needs-administrator/e01eecd7-57b2-4d8c-9e92-31d4870533fc
  3. How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?: How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-file-that-needs-administrator/e01eecd7-57b2-4d8c-9e92-31d4870533fc
  4. How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. how do I get permission to download my file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do I get permission to download my file: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ABOMINATION_BLITZ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/wfl23g/how_do_i_get_permission_to_download_my_file/
  6. How do I change administrator permissions?

How do I change administrator permissions?: I am unable to delete files. Error message says to contact the administrator. I am the administrator, owner and sole user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-administrator-permissions/3535f0d4-0c0b-4af3-ad87-c1f49ff7b195"
  7. How do I get permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I get permission: how do I get permission? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission/ff20f65a-2d3a-4205-b59e-6e15b615f927"
  8. How do I get Permission change files

How do I get Permission change files: I'm trying to un-install Microsoft Edge so I can re-install it (because it's not working properly so I want to start over) but everytime I try to delete it, it says I need permission but the problem is when I go to properties and click security, it already says the...
  9. Administrator permissions: How do I get full access of my computer?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator permissions: How do I get full access of my computer?: When trying to rename, copy or delete certain files or folders, I keep getting the annoying "You need administrator permission" prompt. I then click the button and it's done. But it's totally annoying and it seems so random because those files are no important system files or...
  10. How do I get administrative permission to save photos, etc?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I get administrative permission to save photos, etc?: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now cannot save files to my folders. I am listed as administrator when I boot up and this is my personal laptop PC, so there are no other users. I have looked and looked for where to fix this and cannot find where to do this. Everything...