Windows 10: How Do I Get Downloaded Files as Last on Desktop?

Discus and support How Do I Get Downloaded Files as Last on Desktop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I download a file to my desktop it ends up in the upper left hand corner of the desktop all the time, like it was the first file. How do I get it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yahanna, Sep 7, 2017.

1. yahanna Win User

How Do I Get Downloaded Files as Last on Desktop?

When I download a file to my desktop it ends up in the upper left hand corner of the desktop all the time, like it was the first file. How do I get it as the last file of all the files listed on the desktop?

:)

yahanna, Sep 7, 2017

2. How do I get my pics to show as thubnails on windows 10

no help at all I have windows 10 I could not find icon cache DB

georgesmithzt, Sep 7, 2017
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    How do I get my pics to show as thubnails on windows 10

Hello,

I can understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will certainly help you with this issue.

I would like to know the troubleshooting steps you have tried to fix the issue.

Windows keeps a copy of all of your picture, video, and document thumbnails so they can be displayed quickly when you open a folder. The thumbnail preview problems can be resolved by clearing the thumbnail database and let the system rebuild it as
    and when required. To do so, follow the methods below.

Method 1: Delete thumbnail cache.

I suggest you to delete the thumbnail cache by
    Disk Cleanup

• Open Disk Cleanup by pressing
      Windows key
      on the keyboard and type Disk Cleanup

• Click Disk Cleanup.

• In Files to delete
      check the Thumbnails box and click on OK.

• Click on the Delete Files button.

• Disk Cleanup will now clear the thumbnail cache and close.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:
    Rebuild Icon Cache

Step 1: To Rebuild icon cache follow the below mentioned steps

1 Open Folder Options to select (dot) Show hidden files and folders.

2. Open a Windows Explorer window.

3. Go to C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local

4. Right click on IconCache.db and click on Delete.

5. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.

NOTE: This deletes the file to the Recycle Bin. It is safe to empty the Recycle Bin when finished.

6. Close the window.

7. Empty the Recycle Bin.

8. Restart the computer.

9. When you go back, you will notice the Size of the IconCache.db file is smaller, and the Date Modified is now the current date. (See screenshot below)

NOTE: If for some reason IconCache.db is not there or the size has not changed much, then just restart the computer again. You may need to restart a couple of times in some cases.

10. The icon cache has been rebuilt.

Step 2: Rebulid By default, IconCache.db is the hidden file.

You need to unhide the file and Navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\

To unhide the file:

• Press the Windows+S key combination to open the “Search” box.
    • Type folder into the Search box, then select Folder Options from the list of search results. The “Folder Options” window should open.
    • Select the View tab.
    • Under “Advanced Settings”, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Click Apply, then click Ok.
    Now all of your system’s hidden files and folders should be visible.

Note: Undo the change if you don’t see the pictures yet.

Locate the following file IconCache.db and rename it to
    IconCache.db.old

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Refer to Windows 8.1 steps, as they are applicable to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

@yahanna

I don't use the Desktop for such, so this is a stab in the dark.

The default of hierarchy ranking of File Explorer (I think) is folders first > then files > then shortcuts (there are other categories as well in folders). The default columns for my Desktop folder in Detail view is Name > Size > Item type > Date modified.

The only thing I can think of is grab the date column and drag it to the far left, then place it in ascending order (arrowhead up). Any downloaded file would be dated with the date it's downloaded so I think it would end up at the end. You may have to move and/or configure other columns as well. Not all together sure how it would display on the actual desktop.

You may also have to perform this in the Desktop folder within your User folder?

Hope that helps or at least gets you pointed in the right direction.

Edit:

See my post below.

Tony K, Sep 7, 2017
  5. New items on the desktop are placed in the "next available" location.
    Available locations start at the top left and continue down to the bottom.
    When that first column is full, the next file goes to the top of the second column.

That's the way the desktop works. A new file goes to the next available location.

margrave55, Sep 7, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    The Downloads folder is the proper place to download downloads! You could drag the folder to the desttop so you have an easy to reach link for it.

swarfega, Sep 7, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    @yahanna

Forget the File Explorer sort, for I don't think it has anything to do with displaying or sorting items on the Desktop. With a good night's sleep and thinking about this I think I came up with a better solution. This is also in light of what margrave55 posted. My apologies, for like a said, I don't use the Desktop anymore this way since the advent of the Start Screen in 8/8.1. I have mine set to show no icons.

Right click the Desktop to get its context menu > In the View category I would think you would have to choose "Align icons to grid" in order for the system to display the last item made. Not totally sure on that one. You'd have to experiment.

How Do I Get Downloaded Files as Last on Desktop? [​IMG]

Then in the Sort category choose "Date modified" in order for the system to sort it the way you want it. Be aware that if another item changes date then that would be displayed last.

How Do I Get Downloaded Files as Last on Desktop? [​IMG]

Tony K, Sep 7, 2017
  8. yahanna Win User

Thats it! Thats the answer.. thankss!

yahanna, Sep 8, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you. *Smile

Tony K, Sep 10, 2017
  10. yahanna Win User
    For some unkown reason "Date modified" doesnt stick. It works initially when you click on it. But on other days I notice its not checked on anymore. Is there a fix to this so that it stays on this setting forever?

yahanna, Sep 12, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    It isn't going to stick . It will sort what you have by date and then anything new will appear at the end (starting from the top left and working down then across) taking the last free space.

You would have to repeatedly sort by date if that is what you want.

What you could do is try running a script like this at every logon (Windows 10 works the same) Sort desktop icons by name - Windows XP

It might be easier just to use the sort in File Explorer though - especially if you stored your download in "Downloads" folder.

12. Tony K Win User
    Hmm. I thought the problem would be as I stated "Be aware that if another item changes date then that would be displayed last". I'm wondering why it doesn't hold that setting you made. By logic it should.

On the other hand, lx07's solution with the script looks to be a better choice, for when an item with a new date is created (which sooner or later it will) will change the sort. I think there is a way to run that script in PowerShell via saving it from within it as a ps1 file. I have a few. A simple click on it will run it quickly. However, you would have to make sure that the script is correct/fitting to your system. I'm not qualified to do that. If you ask the coding guru, Kari, he may look it over for you.

He's not partial to PMs, so you may want to summons him here with a @ before his name Kari. That will get his attention.

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How Do I Get Downloaded Files as Last on Desktop? - Similar Threads - Downloaded Files Last

2. how do I get permission to download my file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do I get permission to download my file: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ABOMINATION_BLITZ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/wfl23g/how_do_i_get_permission_to_download_my_file/
  3. There is a "desktop" notepad file on my desktop. How do i get rid of it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    There is a "desktop" notepad file on my desktop. How do i get rid of it?: So today out of the blue as usual another thing bug happened which is that now there is a notepad fie called "desktop" that appeared on my desktop, I really don't know what that is. I tried looking everywhere for an answer but all the tutorials I found were to hide two...
  4. There is a "desktop" notepad file on my desktop. How do i get rid of it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is a "desktop" notepad file on my desktop. How do i get rid of it?: So today out of the blue as usual another thing bug happened which is that now there is a notepad fie called "desktop" that appeared on my desktop, I really don't know what that is. I tried looking everywhere for an answer but all the tutorials I found were to hide two...
  5. There is a "desktop" notepad file on my desktop. How do i get rid of it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How do I get your last update NOW?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I get your last update NOW?: ALL CAPS YELLING - STOP PUTTING THIS EDGE AND OTHER **** ON MY MACHINE.HOW DO I REMOVE IT AND THE NEWS INTREST WINDOW? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-your-last-update-now/59f3ada7-6ab9-41e0-ba6e-403258ff7091
  7. how do i download bnz file ofx to my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i download bnz file ofx to my desktop: how do i download an ofx bank file to my desktop so i can send it to my avvountant. Zero wil onlydo future ones but i need to go hacek 18 months,...
  8. How do I get downloads to automatically download into the downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get downloads to automatically download into the downloads folder: A few weeks ago when I downloaded something I had it download to my desktop. Ever since then whenever I download something, it saves to the desktop instead of the downloads folder. How do I get downloads to automatically download into the downloads folder? I've tried...
  9. how do I get an app to download

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    how do I get an app to download: I purchased Affinity Designer last night and it still has not downloaded. It is in a pending mode. It checked the program and says downloading but the download bar has not even moved since last night....
  10. how do I get app icons on my desktop i just downloaded?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I get app icons on my desktop i just downloaded?: How do I get all my app icons on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-app-icons-on-my-desktop-i-just/18a7bd55-ba69-45cd-b83a-b0c98ae23147