Windows 10: How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ?

Discus and support How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 Home from ISO, clean install, and the overlays (in OneDrive) have never worked, it is not a 15 item limit issue as this happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BlizzardUK, Aug 10, 2017.

1. How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ?

I installed Windows 10 Home from ISO, clean install, and the overlays (in OneDrive) have never worked, it is not a 15 item limit issue as this happened before DropBox or others were installed (DropBox and Mega overlays all work fine). I looked in the overlay registry section and saw 3 entries labelled SkyDrive, I guess the previous name for OneDrive. I tried everything but couldn't get it to work, including uninstalling, unlinking PC, and so on, in the end I just deleted the entries in RegEdit hoping they would be automatically remade. They weren't, but it is no different now then before as it obviously still doesn't work.
    How can I force it to work ? I even tried moving reg entries over from a working PC, but that didn't work either, and the ISO used to install that PC was the same, I am guessing the numbers in the registry string need to be different for each PC.

Any help be appreciated, but please don't mention the limit thing, as it definitely isn't that, and that is the only thing online I can find info about for overlays not working in File Explorer.

Thanks for any help !!

:)

BlizzardUK, Aug 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Gray x's on some desktop icons

Because OneDrive is a Microsoft program, Windows wants to use that as its default. When you use other Cloud service applications on Windows, the cloud applications have a sync conflict.

The link that I posted has this statement in it: "Newer versions of OneDrive and OneDrive for Business check automatically, but Windows only supports a finite number of icon overlays. If you have other applications
    installed that heavily use icon overlays on files and folders, such as Dropbox, those applications may take priority in displaying their icon overlays and suppress the icon overlays for OneDrive or OneDrive for Business."

This tells me windows gets confused with the icon overlays when there are multiple cloud services. Doesn't matter which one was installed first. That page has an automatic fix application on it. I ran it, and my problems
    have since gone away.

MayoTheGreat, Aug 10, 2017
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Icon overlays in Windows 10

Hi,

There are currently 15 slots allotted for icon overlays in the system image list of Windows 10. 4 of these are reserved for the system, and OneDrive uses 5, leaving six slots for use by other icon overlay handlers. If more than 15 icon overlays are registered
    in the system, the extra icon overlays aren't used. This limit of 15 overlay icons applies to Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions about your computer.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Yolvi Ell, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ?

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  5. Hi. Would those icons also be classed as overlays though ? I will check it out. Thanks.

BlizzardUK, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    To be sure > By overlay with OneDrive folder icons > Do you mean the green checkmarks?

How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ? [​IMG]

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  8. How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ?

Yep, they don't appear for OneDrive and never had (installed this new PC 3 days ago), even with that being the only cloud service on the PC. I initially checked registry incase it was pushed down the list by other things, but it was at the top. After trying everything else, I just deleted the 3 SkyDrive entries on hope they would be recreated. They didn't, and still doesn't work even after OneDrive reinstall and unlinking. Very confusing.

BlizzardUK, Aug 10, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Yes, a head scratcher for sure. I think you've done all you can and I'm out of ideas. Sometimes these things work themselves out. Maybe give it a few boots and days.

Someone else may chime in here with a fix. Please let us know if it does self heal or you find anything. Good luck.

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    I'm afraid I can't help other than to say that my clean install (Creators) has never had these to my knowledge.

How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ? [​IMG]

Mooly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ?

1. How do I get OneDrive overlays working when NOT a limit problem ? - Similar Threads - OneDrive overlays working

2. How do I get time limits to work again on child's device?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I get time limits to work again on child's device?: My child is set as a standard user on their computer as opposed to an administrator but the time restrictions via the app are no longer working. How can I fix this so that I can once again set time limits on their computer device? It used to work very well but now doesn't...
  3. How do I get time limits to work again on child's device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get time limits to work again on child's device?: My child is set as a standard user on their computer as opposed to an administrator but the time restrictions via the app are no longer working. How can I fix this so that I can once again set time limits on their computer device? It used to work very well but now doesn't...
  4. How do I get time limits to work again on child's device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I get rid of OneDrive?

How do I get rid of OneDrive?: Split from this thread. Since you've been most helpful with my quick access issue - let me try another.Hope its allowed -Just today I noticed that my one drive was working. I find it strange because I never signed into it on my new laptop. In fact, I do not like it, want it...
  6. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  7. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  8. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

9. OneDrive How do i get rid of it

OneDrive How do i get rid of it: I hate the program, I have tried to disable it does not work. There must be a way. Itis to the point of going to something othan than Windows....HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-how-do-i-get-rid-of-it/64fdccb1-b853-425d-83ce-85c39b9f81a3
  10. How do I get the activate windows overlay back?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I get the activate windows overlay back?: I like the activate windows overlay, how do I get it back? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-the-activate-windows-overlay-back/0977496e-b15a-4776-b9ae-59eda9fd3b4c