Windows 10: How do I get recent docs when pinned to start?

Discus and support How do I get recent docs when pinned to start? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm an oldschool start menu kind of person, and not quite so keen on the new start menu yet. I'm willing to give it a chance as it's the future of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vexorg, Oct 14, 2015.

1. vexorg Win User

How do I get recent docs when pinned to start?

I'm an oldschool start menu kind of person, and not quite so keen on the new start menu yet. I'm willing to give it a chance as it's the future of windows.

There are some parts copied over from xp / win7 and other parts not. What I used most out of the start menu before was from the pinned (old style pinned at top) or recent programs that have the little arrow with the recent docs that had been opened by that program.

It's such a brilliant time saving way to re-open files that have been worked on.

My windows 10 was an upgrade from windows7 professional. It's kept some of these under the most used, like word, acrobat, etc. but not others I used often, like excel or epson scanner. And since upgrading to windows 10, I have used these two more than any other program (or "app"). They don't move into the "most used" - why not?

And how can I pin apps into the start so that it has the recent docs option arrow. Pinning it only adds to the tile section and no option to see recent docs opened.

Frustratingly, word and acrobat still have the recent docs in the most used section. So the function is there, just no way to make windows 10 do what the last 20 years of windows done with ease.

:)

vexorg, Oct 14, 2015

2. Windows 10 Start Menu Pinned Files

In Windows 7, Start Menu entries for applications, such as Excel, would include a list of recently used files for each app. In addition, you could pin the most important files. This was a VERY easy way to open key spreadsheets, word docs, etc....

How do I do this in Windows 10?

MikeSchumann, Oct 14, 2015
  3. how to do Win User
    HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Oct 14, 2015
  4. vexorg Win User

It's jump list I am looking for when programs are pinned to the start menu. how do you do this as even the reg hack doesn't work.

vexorg, Oct 15, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Right clicking on almost all elements has been vastly improved in Build 10565.

How do I get recent docs when pinned to start? [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 15, 2015
  6. vexorg Win User
    Where do I find the build number in windows10?

Right click on any tile and it only gives me:
    - unpin form start
    - resize
    - pin to taskbar
    - uninstall
    - run as admin
    - open file location

Not too happy about having uninstall in there, to easy to click by mistake

vexorg, Oct 15, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Click Start and type winver for Build version.

You should get 'are you sure you want to uninstall this program' warning. *Wink

Edwin, Oct 15, 2015
  8. vexorg Win User

Build 10240, does it not update itself each week like other windows would have done.

vexorg, Oct 15, 2015
  9. Build 10565 how soon before I can use it.
    Is this the one under test now

hTconeM9user, Oct 15, 2015
  10. vexorg Win User
    Is 10240 the latest build or not?

vexorg, Oct 16, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    10240 is the latest 'Release' Build, 10565 is the latest Insider Preview.

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I get recent docs when pinned to start? - Similar Threads - recent docs pinned

2. How do I require a PIN on start up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I require a PIN on start up?: For security reasons we would like to change the start up settings on our Windows PC to require a PIN on start up but when I go to settings > accounts > sign-in options > and select Windows Hello PIN, then restart the computer it just logs in without requesting a PIN. We have...
  3. How do I get Recent folders!!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get Recent folders!!!!: I've been searching through the forums and despite MANY posts regarding this throughout the years, I found no solution.How do I get a Recent folders option from INSIDE application's menus like save or when uploading files through a browser etc?I'm a UX and UI professional...
  4. How do I get Recent folders!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get Recent folders!!!!: I've been searching through the forums and despite MANY posts regarding this throughout the years, I found no solution.How do I get a Recent folders option from INSIDE application's menus like save or when uploading files through a browser etc?I'm a UX and UI professional...
  5. How do I get Recent folders!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How do I turn a text doc into a pdf doc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I turn a text doc into a pdf doc: How do I turn a text doc into a pdf doc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-a-text-doc-into-a-pdf-doc/db5dc231-a0cf-412b-a22f-339fdf4c06c5"
  7. How to clear Recent Docs list in Wordpad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clear Recent Docs list in Wordpad?: How do you close a single file and/or clear a file from the Recent Docs list in Wordpad? This applies to using Wordpad from any device. ***Modified title from: Closing files in Wordpad ***...
  8. After getting PIN from MS - Open Recent docs/workbooks lists old files

in Microsoft Office and 365
    After getting PIN from MS - Open Recent docs/workbooks lists old files: Just a couple of days ago I switched from stand alone Win10 using an administrator account (no PIN or password) to a MS PIN. Since then, when I go into Word or Excel my list of unpinned Recent files shows files I worked on at least one or two years ago. My actual recent files...
  9. How do i get rid of pin on start up

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i get rid of pin on start up: is there a way of not putting in a pin or password on start up?iv tryed to remove it but it looks as if they forgot a tab to disable this option.*Mad*Mad 17907
  10. Is it possible to pin recent doc to Word icon on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible to pin recent doc to Word icon on taskbar?: Under Win 7 you can pin recent docs to Word pinned on taskbar and freely remove others from the list. Don't see these options anymore. 8123

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clicking on pinned icon for most recent docs

2. Files pinned to start up dated 2/4/2019