Windows 10: How do I get Windows 10 update to recognize my external drive?

Discus and support How do I get Windows 10 update to recognize my external drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Early on in the Windows 10 update process, I was able to upgrade an HP Stream 7 and a Stream 11 to Windows 10. Both had the same 32GB RAM and nominal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eagleseye, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Eagleseye Win User

How do I get Windows 10 update to recognize my external drive?

Early on in the Windows 10 update process, I was able to upgrade an HP Stream 7 and a Stream 11 to Windows 10. Both had the same 32GB RAM and nominal 32GB eMMC as the Stream 14 I am wrestling with. Both came to a point where they told me the device had insufficient space on its C:\ drive. In both instances I selected an external Micro SD drive, and off it went with the upgrade.
    In this instance I cannot get past that point. I select the external drive (a 320GB external USB spinner) but it doesn't accept that or any other external device I offer it.
    When I click "Refresh" it says that it needs 10GB on C:\ drive, and eventually says that the upgrade failed.
    The computer has been wiped, and reset to factory spec for W8.1 with all updates installed. It has ~20GB on C, and 7GB in another partition, so even if I find a way to remove the partition it wont be enough.
    I'm about to have to give up on this thing and just make the poor user run with W8.1 until further notice, unless some kind soul can give me some idea of how to get past this point.
    Thank you!

:)

Eagleseye, Dec 12, 2015
  2. teazintaz Win User

How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my external hard drive?

1. when I plug in the external hard drive the light on the hard drive flashes and I get no response from my computer that I plugged it in.

2. My external hard drive is a Toshiba Canvio USB 3 (B) 750 GB

3. Yes. I've connected to all 3 usb ports and the only thing that happens is the light on the external hard drive flashes. The computer says the hard drive has the most current driver and that the hard drive is working properly.

teazintaz, Dec 12, 2015
  3. How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my external hard drive?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please answer the below questions to understand the situation better.

1. What happens when you try to connect your external hard drive?

2. What is the make and model of your external hard drive?

3. Have you tried connecting to different USB ports and checked whether it detects?

I would suggest you to check if device is detected in device manager and if you see a red x or yellow exclamation on device drivers.

Please refer the below thread and the suggestions provided by
    Vinodh_Kumar V replied on December 2, 2015

External Hard Drive not showing on Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Dec 12, 2015
  4. TrustMe Win User

Maybe try a USB flash drive?

TrustMe, Dec 12, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I get Windows 10 update to recognize my external drive? - Similar Threads - update recognize external

2. How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?: Windows 10 update requires more disk space. I have cleared quite a lot from my device, but to no avail. How can I use external drive such as USB stick? Information available on websites does not match options presented to me. Can anyone help please?...
  3. How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?: Windows 10 update requires more disk space. I have cleared quite a lot from my device, but to no avail. How can I use external drive such as USB stick? Information available on websites does not match options presented to me. Can anyone help please?...
  4. How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive?: How to get windows 10 pro to recognize a external cd/dvd drive? Trying to load Turbotax cd. Connected the cd drive. Starts to boot, then shuts down. I can use the vlc media player to watch movies. Media player does not recognize the Turbotax cd. Can anyone please give me...
  6. External drive not recognized

External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  7. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  8. External Drives not recognized

External Drives not recognized: My external hard drive and USB storage device both not working properly(Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.1734 if that helps any). Have tried restarting, updating drivers etc.. Devices show in Disk Management and Devices and Printers but can't open or save anything to either of them....
  9. Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!

Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!: Hello, I recently converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a CRU external enclosure for 2 6TB HDD in a RAID 1 configuration. I only use the external drive to store 100,000 images for use with Lightroom/Photoshop and I turn the external drive Off when finished as I...
  10. How do I get windows to recognize my other hard drive?

How do I get windows to recognize my other hard drive?: I can't get windows to add my second hard drive nor my two dvd roms. Add a device can't find them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-do-i-get-windows-to-recognize-my-other-hard/b024c4d5-ac02-4e93-8e07-1f87859252ed

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i get windows 10 to recognise external drive

2. how do i get my windows 10 to recognize my phone

3. hp stream 11 wont recognize external storage

4. how to get windows updates to recognize my external drive