Windows 10: how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?

Discus and support how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What would suggest I do, McAfee came pre installed on my HP Laptop. My "free" subscription ends in a few days and I noticed that my Windows Defender... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Heshie75v, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Heshie75v Win User

how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?

What would suggest I do, McAfee came pre installed on my HP Laptop. My "free" subscription ends in a few days and I noticed that my Windows Defender does NOT work. It is grayed out because of McAfee as I have learned reading other posts on this board.
    Other AV programs have this effect on Windows Defender in many cases.
    I guess my question is how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?
    Thanks

:)

Heshie75v, Jun 9, 2016

2. How do I get Windows Defender working after hit by viris??I

I had a virus hit me and wonder how to get WD working again as It does not work after upgrading to build 14332????

RifaHodgson, Jun 9, 2016
  3. José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jun 9, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Soon as you remove McAfee, Windows Defender should come back on ....they won't run at same time.

OldMike65, Jun 9, 2016
  5. Yes mine came on straight away and updated itself to the latest version, the only thing you have to make sure is that you run a scan otherwise it will flash up you are not fully protected

hTconeM9user, Jun 9, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    To : Heshie75v

Follow the advises posted by OldMike65, post #6 and post #32.

davidhk, Jun 9, 2016
  7. FWIW The direct download link at McAfee - and INSTRUCTIONS - for the MCPR (McAfee consumer product removal) tool are here:
    Knowledge Base

Sometimes it must be run more than once, rebooting each time, for complete removal. (Rarely, it needs to be run from Windows safe mode.)

HTH, MM (McAfee survivor)

MoxieMomma, Jun 9, 2016
  8. how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?

Yes follow what has been posted but you may need to install and run Revo Uninstaller it comes with a 30 day trial.
    When I uninstalled mine, I found it had left behind some folders with some files still in it
    How I got rid of them was
    File Explorer
    Scroll to C Drive
    Then go to Programs where you should find the folders that is where you can use Revo
    Also go to Programs X86 where you should find the same again do as above
    Once Revo had found them just click delete and lot of files may come up put a tick in all of them then press delete.
    Mine took about 5-10 mins to clear on both.
    Once done McAfee will be gone forever
    Then you will find Defender working
    Bring it up and click Update
    Once done it will need to scan
    Once Scanned you are then fully protected
    Get back to us if you get stuck

hTconeM9user, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee? - Similar Threads - Defender working uninstall

2. How do I uninstall Mcafee

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I uninstall Mcafee: I have been using windows 11 for about a year and I am just so fed up with Mcafee. I cannot find a way to uninstall it and it keeps changing my browser to **** yahoo. Mcafee is the **** "anti-virus software" ever, I just want to burn it. How do I uninstall it....
  3. How do I uninstall Mcafee

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I uninstall Mcafee: I have been using windows 11 for about a year and I am just so fed up with Mcafee. I cannot find a way to uninstall it and it keeps changing my browser to **** yahoo. Mcafee is the **** "anti-virus software" ever, I just want to burn it. How do I uninstall it....
  4. how do I uninstall webadvisor by mcAfee?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I uninstall webadvisor by mcAfee?: how do I uninstall webadvisor by mcAfee? I have tried seceral ways and nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-uninstall-webadvisor-by-mcafee/1f4738b7-3af7-4a65-8203-449a49db1bb6
  5. how do I uninstall webadvisor by mcAfee?

how do I uninstall webadvisor by mcAfee?: how do I uninstall webadvisor by mcAfee? I have tried seceral ways and nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-uninstall-webadvisor-by-mcafee/1f4738b7-3af7-4a65-8203-449a49db1bb6
  6. how do I uninstall webadvisor by mcAfee?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows Defender crashes on startup after uninstalling McAfee?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender crashes on startup after uninstalling McAfee?: When I bought my new PC, MacAfee was preinstalled. Seeing that Windows Defender was good enough, I uninstalled McAfee. I still can't open Windows Defender, but still receive notifications about automatic scans. sorry about the GIF quality, I couldn't attach a video...
  8. Windows Defender crashes on startup after uninstalling McAfee?

Windows Defender crashes on startup after uninstalling McAfee?: When I bought my new PC, MacAfee was preinstalled. Seeing that Windows Defender was good enough, I uninstalled McAfee. I still can't open Windows Defender, but still receive notifications about automatic scans. sorry about the GIF quality, I couldn't attach a video...
  9. How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?: My McAfee free month that was preinstalled is over and I want to remove it and turn on my Windows Defender firewall but when I try to delete McAfee, it says I need administrative permission. I am the sole owner and user of this PC. How do I access and set myself up as the...
  10. Can I uninstall the McAfee and get Defender back?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I uninstall the McAfee and get Defender back?: I bought and installed a McAfee antivirus program as it looked like they were pressuring me to do so. Did I lose Defender when I did that? Now I found out I don't need an additional program. Can I uninstall the McAfee and get Defender back?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot start windows defender after uninstalling mcafee

2. how do I turn on windows defender and get rid of macafee

3. windows 10 get rid of mcafee renew nagging

4. what is the effect of running mcafee and windows defender at the same time,
  5. does windows defender interact with mcAfee,
  6. after i remove mcafee will windows defender work?,
  7. if i uninstall mcafee will it effect defender as it is installed and running,
  8. remove app in windows that is keeping windows defender from working,
  9. when i removed mcafee windows defender stopped working,
  10. getting window defender to work after removing other av product,
  11. defender after macafee uninstall,
  12. steps to get windows defender working after antivirus uninstall,
  13. windows defender not working after uninstall iolo,
  14. uninstall mcafee and use windows defender,
  15. do you have to uninstall mcafee to get windows defender working