Windows 10: How Do I Go Back to Windows 10 Start Menu ?

Discus and support How Do I Go Back to Windows 10 Start Menu ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I feel like this is a dumb question but I can't find the answer anywhere. I am one of those that happens to like the new Windows 9/10 Start Menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ImPappy, Nov 21, 2015.

1. ImPappy Win User

How Do I Go Back to Windows 10 Start Menu ?

I feel like this is a dumb question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

I am one of those that happens to like the new Windows 9/10 Start Menu system and, after I installed Windows 10, I took great pains to set it up the way I wanted it. (I upgraded from 7 or 8, I can't remember.)

Somehow, however, something I installed changed it back to the the old Windows 7/8 menu system which is very usable of course but I like the new one.

How do I get it back and do I have to rebuild it all over again?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all .. and nice to be a new member of your forum.*Smile

Alan

:)

ImPappy, Nov 21, 2015

2. How do do I get my start menu back to the original settings?

When I turned on my HP Stream computer the Start menu had disappeared. How do I get back to it?

<Moved from Windows Insider preview forums>

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

RuthieCarter, Nov 21, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    How do do I get my start menu back to the original settings?

Do you have a Taskbar with a Windows icon on the left end? Is click on it.

lacrumb, Nov 21, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Welcome to the forums. Check your programs and features. It sounds like you installed maybe Classic shell or start 8. Uninstall that and W10 menu will be back.

5. strollin Win User
    It sounds as if you may have installed a 3rd party Start menu program such as "Classic Shell". If so, you need to figure out which one you installed and then uninstall it from Programs and Features.

If you can't figure out which you installed, you could post screen shots of the programs listed in Programs and Features and someone should be able to tell you which you need to uninstall.

strollin, Nov 21, 2015
  6. ImPappy Win User
    The only program which I can think of which installed after upgrading to W10 is IOBIT to do periodic PC maintenance. It was recommended by a friend. Could this be it?

ImPappy, Nov 21, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    @ImPappy:
    Can you post a screenshot or two?

Edwin, Nov 21, 2015
  8. Williams Win User

To be sure go to Control Panel -> Unistall a Program and see if it is installed any of the programs mentioned above.

Williams, Nov 21, 2015
  9. ImPappy Win User
    How can I get a screen shot of the start menu ? It closes as soon as I try and do something.

ImPappy, Nov 21, 2015
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Try hitting the Print screen Key - this should place a copy of the entire screen into the clipboard, you can then paste it into an image editor

Barman58, Nov 21, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    You could open Windows Snipping Tool, choose a 'Delay' then click 'New', quickly open Start, then click and drag a capture area when the screen dims:

How Do I Go  Back to Windows 10 Start Menu ? [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 21, 2015
  12. ImPappy Win User
    How Do I Go  Back to Windows 10 Start Menu ? [​IMG]

This is what my Start Screen Looks like now

ImPappy, Nov 21, 2015
  13. Williams Win User

Its start menu 8. Just remove it from control panel.

Its the app near Record time on your desktop.

Hope it helps,

Williams, Nov 22, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Definitely Classic Shell or Start10 or similar. If you right click on the Start button, what does it show you.

Ztruker, Nov 22, 2015
  15. ImPappy Win User
    Yup .. that did it .. tnx ... IOBIT was the culprit that installed it. Thank You for your input .. you were spot on.

Alan

ImPappy, Nov 22, 2015
Thema:

1. How Do I Go Back to Windows 10 Start Menu ? - Similar Threads - Start Menu

2. Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu: So, I am trying to open the Start menu, but it's not responding and after that, it crashes and restarts. Every time I press the Windows button to open the Start menu, the desktop flickers and the taskbar restarts itself. How do I fix this?...
  3. Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu: So, I am trying to open the Start menu, but it's not responding and after that, it crashes and restarts. Every time I press the Windows button to open the Start menu, the desktop flickers and the taskbar restarts itself. How do I fix this?...
  4. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  5. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder: I have developed a program with installer. The program is installed in the programs folder. The program has also a link in the menu start. However the icon is empty:When I start the program from menu the icon the icon on the taskbar is also emptyWhen I start the program...
  6. Taskbar menu start icon empty when program is started from programs folder

7. Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?: I'm a log time user of Windows 10. Every 3 months approximately over the last 4 or 5 years, two things happen:1 I click on the Start menu and nothing appears.This next bit is predictable and always happens next...2 After a reboot, all my pinned start bar items have...
  8. Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?

Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?: I'm a log time user of Windows 10. Every 3 months approximately over the last 4 or 5 years, two things happen:1 I click on the Start menu and nothing appears.This next bit is predictable and always happens next...2 After a reboot, all my pinned start bar items have...
  9. Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu: Starting next month and available as a preview right now, Windows 11's Start Menu will show promotions for certain apps. This time, advertised apps will show up in the recommended section of the Start Menu of the operating system. The new placement complements the...