Windows 10: How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly?

Discus and support How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi everyone, This is my first post on the forum. I tried Windows 10 over a year ago but decided to go back to 8.1. Ive decided to come over to Windows... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by sportsfan148, Apr 17, 2017.

1. How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly?

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post on the forum. I tried Windows 10 over a year ago but decided to go back to 8.1. Ive decided to come over to Windows 10 permanently now so bare with me Im a total Windows 10 novice!!! How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly? :) My question is about importing bookmarks in the Edge browser. With Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1 I always backed up my Bookmarks/favorites in HTM format by exporting to a USB flash drive for safe keeping. Also, Ive always used a local account on my laptop previously so when Ive done a clean install ive imported the bookmarks into explorer after Windows installation. Everywhere Ive searched on the net says that you cant import bookmarks in HTM file format directly into Edge yet. Ive read that with Windows 10..you have to firstly import the bookmarks into Internet Explorer 11 and then have Edge import them from the Internet Explorer browser. Is that still the case?
    My current situation is I have my Bookmarks/favorites from Windows 8.1 saved in HTM file format on a USB flash drive and I want to know the correct method to transfer my Bookmarks over into the Edge browser in Windows 10.
    Also, For future reference...When you have the bookmarks set up in Edge. How do you back them up correctly...and import them back into Edge when required?
    I just want to be sure I understand the Import/Export Bookmark/Favorites file correctly and if it can be done in HTM file format as I used to be able to do in Windows 8.1.
    Thanks for your patience. Im sorry if that was a long read!! How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly? :)

:)

sportsfan148, Apr 17, 2017

2. How can you import Edge favorites in Windows 10

Are you wanting to import Edge Favorites into Internet Explorer

or

import Internet Explorer Favorites into Edge?

or

import Favorites/Bookmarks from another browser into Edge or Internet Explorer?

Don

Don Varnau, Apr 17, 2017
  3. Import Chrome Settings (Passwords n' Such... Not Bookmarks/Favorites) to Edge?

I've already imported my bookmarks/favorites. Now I want to import the settings, passwords, and other pre-filled information and so on to Edge, as well. How can I do this?

NateHevens, Apr 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly?

Brink, Apr 17, 2017
  5. Hi Brink..nice to meet you. Thanks for the Welcome How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly? :)
    I downloaded the Creators Update at the weekend..version 1703. When I click on settings in Edge...theres an option to Import favourites from another browser. When you click on that you get import from Internet Explorer. Then underneath theres Import or Export from a file saying that files can be imported or exported as HTML files. My HTM Bookmark is an older bookmark created when I was running Windows 8.1. That's why I came on here to ask the question to check that this option works for older HTM Bookmarks that were saved to a USB while using Windows 8.1...or if you can only import HTM Bookmarks that have previously been exported using Edge on Windows 10 and not those Bookmarks that have been exported from Internet Explorer on Windows 8.1?

sportsfan148, Apr 18, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You'll be able to use any .htm or .html file of favorites to import into Microsoft Edge. *Smile

Brink, Apr 18, 2017
  7. Hi Brink. Ive just tried importing from the saved Bookmark. Just in case there was a possibility the Bookmark may have been corrupted... I have three different bookmarks stored...so I tried them all. The first time I tried..I clicked import from file, and selected the Bookmark. It said it had done so I went to view my newly imported favorites in Edge. I noticed several bookmarks missing from different folders.although I would say probably 95% of them were there. In my saved Bookmarks I have 27 different folders..all placed under a folder with the heading All Sites. The transfer across to Edge transfers all the folders into Edge..but only the first 7 stay within the All Sites Folder. It then takes a subflolder out the of the 7th folder and places that under the All sites folder. The other 20 folders are just placed under the folder Imported Bookmark. I tried this several times with my 3 different stored bookmarks..with exactly the same result each time.
    So I thought I would try importing the stored Bookmark into Internet Explorer. I then imported my favorites over from the Internet Explorer browser across into the Edge browser. Everything was imported into Edge with all the links and folders in the correct format. Nothing missing and all the 27 folders were in their correct place. One thing did happen though. While I was viewing them In Edge..they just vanished. I clicked on the Hub again and they'd gone!!! So I imported them from the Internet Explorer again and theyre all back again and so far theyre still there. What do you think is going on Brink?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 18, 2017
  9. Thanks for that info on resetting Brink. I'll bear that in mind. One other thing Ive just noticed. When I took a closer look at my favorites in Edge I did notice that some of favorites were missing from the folders. 5 or 6 I could see straight away. So I deleted all the favorites from Edge again. Last time I closed Internet Explorer down completely and opened Edge from the taskbar, then imported my favorites from Internet Explorer Browser. So I thought Id try a different method this time. I opened Internet Explorer and checked all my favorites were still correctly listed..they were all OK. So instead of closing Internet Explorer down and Opening Edge from the Taskbar...I clicked on the link at the top of the screen where the Tabs are where there is a link to Open Edge from there. I clicked on that...so in effect Internet Explorer and Edge were both open at the same time. Then I imported the favorites over into Edge from Internet Explorer. This time everything is transferred perfectly. I don't, know what you think about this Brink. But my feeling from my testing is that the Import from an HTML file is still buggy and it seems that you even have to be careful that you import your favorites from Internet Explorer into Edge in a certain way as well

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Usually, they import fine, but yeah you'll still get a bug now and then.

Brink, Apr 18, 2017
  11. torre Win User
    Just a note about the export of Edge favorites.

On my system, Chrome will not open the exported html file. Has to be opened with Edge (did not try IE).

torre, Apr 19, 2017
  12. That's good to know Torre. I don't use Chrome on my laptop..only on my Smartphone. It does seem that from my findings and yours too that the Import/export HTML feature in Edge is definitely buggy

sportsfan148, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I import HTM bookmark/favorites into Edge correctly? - Similar Threads - import HTM bookmark

2. Stored Favorites/Bookmarks in Chromium Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Stored Favorites/Bookmarks in Chromium Edge: Windows 10 v. 21H1 Every site I visit states the following: You'll find the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) bookmarks/favourites over here: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks ("Bookmarks" is the actual file). All is great until I get to...
  3. How do I import Favorites bar from Chrome to Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    How do I import Favorites bar from Chrome to Edge.: Hi, I want to export Bookmarks bar (not bookmarks) from Chrome and then import to Edge's Favorites bar. How do I do? Thank you, 65317
  4. How import bookmark firefox on edge ?

in Browsers and Email
    How import bookmark firefox on edge ?: Please a read different web page but no find solution to import bookmark from firefox on edge Thnak Hispa 13234
  5. How do I import saved IE11 favorites into Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I import saved IE11 favorites into Edge?: Folks, Before I wiped my Windows 7 install, I exported my IE11 favorites into an HTM file, "bookmark", by using IE11's "export" feature. My clean Windows 10 install only has 2 browsers: Edge and Chrome. I do not want to install IE11. How do I get the saved...
  6. How to import Firefox favorites into Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How to import Firefox favorites into Edge: I'd like to try Edge, but Edge won't even see Firefox as one of my installed browsers even though it is my default browser. I'm not going to use a browser that requires me to enter hundreds of sites one at a time. Any suggestions on a way to import FF favorites since it won't...
  7. Unable to import favorites in to Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to import favorites in to Edge?: Hey Guys I have saved my favourites in the default folder, they appear and work in ie, but when I try and import them in to edge the error states: Couldn't import favourites Not very informative? Any help appreciated 12277
  8. bookmark/favorite

in Browsers and Email
    bookmark/favorite: Is there a free appthat will find a bookmark/favorite in ie11?? Is there a free appthat will find a bookmark/favorite in ie11?? 103890
  9. Import/Export Edge Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Import/Export Edge Favorites: Microsoft Edge Favorites - Export in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Though Edge may not be the browser of choice, would like to hear reviews/comments of the above method of export/import of favorites from those that have used the method. This method was designed...
  10. Import or Export Internet Explorer Favorites with HTM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import or Export Internet Explorer Favorites with HTM in Windows 10: How to: Import or Export Internet Explorer Favorites with HTM in Windows 10 How to Import or Export Internet Explorer Favorites with HTM file in Windows 10 [img] Information Keep track of the websites you visit frequently by storing them as favorites in Internet...