Windows 10: How do I install an older graphics driver and stop future updates?

Discus and support How do I install an older graphics driver and stop future updates? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use Intel HD Graphics 4000 that came with my i5 3570. My main online game is an old golf sim, Links 2003. I am able to play the game quite well in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by craigwf, Jun 9, 2015.

1. craigwf Win User

How do I install an older graphics driver and stop future updates?

I use Intel HD Graphics 4000 that came with my i5 3570. My main online game is an old golf sim, Links 2003. I am able to play the game quite well in Win 7 with the 2012 video driver version, but all the more current versions have problems with that game. This is easily solved in Windows 7..... I simply don't install any new drivers. When I installed Win 10 (on a separate partition), the most current video drivers were installed. The OS will not allow me to install the older drivers. If I uninstall the newer drivers first, a reboot is required after which the same newer drivers get installed again. Please tell me how to get the older drivers (that work with my game) installed and keep the OS from updating them in the future without my consent.

:)

craigwf, Jun 9, 2015
  2. rbockman Win User

unwanted Nvidia driver update

Windows 10 update keeps installing an older driver for my Nvidia graphics card. How can I stop update from doing this?

rbockman, Jun 9, 2015
  3. rbockman Win User
    unwanted Nvidia driver update

Windows 10 update keeps installing an older driver for my Nvidia graphics card. How can I stop update from doing this?

rbockman, Jun 9, 2015
  4. craigwf Win User

I run older games that only run well using the graphics drivers of a few years ago. I do not want Win 10 installing updated graphics drivers. How do I accomplish that?

craigwf, Jun 9, 2015
  5. batlhilz Win User
    batlhilz, Jun 9, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    go into device manager and disable the current video driver (do not reboot, yet)

try to install the old video driver (if will install)

Reboot

upon reboot windows will most likely re-use the newer driver

go into device manager and "Roll Back" the video driver > that will usually do the trick

you can also block windows update - from updating drivers automatically
    via System > advanced system setting > hardware TAB > device installation settings > No, let me choose and never

Kyhi, Jun 9, 2015
  7. craigwf Win User
    Older driver installed after allowing it to overwrite files from the disabled newer driver. After rebooted, Win 10 kept the older driver and I can now play Links 2003.....Yay! I disabled future device driver updates per your instructions. Thanks, Kyhi

craigwf, Jun 23, 2015
  8. craigwf Win User

Last night did an update. Despite having followed the instructions to not install new drivers, the update process installed new video and audio drivers. Now I can't play Links 2003 any more without rolling back the driver. But what's worse, Windows 10 is broken! The settings screen cannot be made to go away, even by ending task with Task Manager. With it up, nothing else works. Cannot even bring up the Menu to do a proper shutdown. This OS is nowhere near ready for public consumption.

N.B. After doing a cold reboot and undoing the ineffectual choice to not update device drivers, the locked-up Settings page problem has gone away.

craigwf, Jun 27, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    You choose to update..

10. craigwf Win User
    Come on, Kyhi, stop teasing me! We're talking about Windows 10 here, not one of the prior OS's where you could choose from a list of possible updates which ones you want to download and install. If there is a way to choose in Windows 10, please tell us because I haven't found it.

craigwf, Jun 28, 2015
  11. Microsoft released a utility that allows you to disable certain driver updates from downloading/installing. Here's a link:
    WUShowhide utility (on microsoft.com)

mvpcabinets, Aug 5, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
  13. How do I install an older graphics driver and stop future updates?

WUShowhide is only with regards to Windows Update right? What if the driver is being autoreinstalled by Windows itself?

I have this Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (MacBook Pro 2011 w/ Boot Camp) whose driver I need to roll back to an earlier version for things to work properly, however Windows keeps reinstalling the newer version (when scanning for hardware changes, when rebooting etc.).

I tried the method outlined at http://windowsinstructed.com/disable...in-windows-10/ to no avail:

• Open File Explorer and go to This PC.
    • Then click on System Properties
    • Under the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings group, click on Change settings.
    • Click on the Hardware tab.
    • Under the the Device Installation Settings group, click on Device Installation Settings
    • Now click on No, Let me choose what to do, then select Never Install Drivers from Windows Update.
    • Click on Save Settings, a system reboot is then necessary for the changes to take effect.

From: Disable automatic driver installation in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

bulldows95, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Simple Win User
    You can stop Windows updating the driver by configuring policies as below:

Run "gpedit.msc" --> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Device Installation --> Device Installation Restrictions --> (Double Click) Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs or Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings --> Select "Enabled" and perform the necessary changes.
    Detailed procedure:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530324.aspx
    p.s. To allow Windows to install/update drivers for this device again, perform the above and set it back to "Not Configured".

Simple, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I install an older graphics driver and stop future updates? - Similar Threads - install older graphics

2. Windows update continually installs older intel graphics drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update continually installs older intel graphics drivers: I am running the latest Windows 11 and find Windows Update always wants to install Intel Corporation - Display driver 26.x. While Intel Driver and Support Assistant DSA wants to always install Intel Iris Plus Graphics driver 31.0.101.2121. Windows Update wins because it is...
  3. Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics Driver: SYSTEM-Alienware m17 R3Device name Gen6 Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Installed on ‎8/‎20/‎2020 OS build 19043.1706...
  4. Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics Driver: SYSTEM-Alienware m17 R3Device name Gen6 Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Installed on ‎8/‎20/‎2020 OS build 19043.1706...
  5. Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows update trying to install older graphics driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows update trying to install older graphics driver: Windows 10 version 20H2 is trying to install a 2017 Intel graphics driver which will overwrite the 2020 version and cause previously fixed sign out issues to reoccur. How do I stop this now that the 'howtohide' diagnostic cabinet has been moved or deleted Error 404? Lenovo...
  7. Windows Update Installed Older 2017 NVidia Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows Update Installed Older 2017 NVidia Graphics Driver: Just wondering is there a way to make windows update stop installing a Graphics Driver from 2017 for my NVIDIA ASUS STRIX GTX 980 graphics card.I always uses the latest driver from NVIDIA which works the best for me other than a older 2017 driver.Any help with this greatly...
  8. Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics driver

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics driver: Windows 10 - 17134.191 Update insists installing and older Intel Graphics driver over the manually installed newest version available. Only started doing this recently. How do I stop this from happening? [img] [img] 115580
  9. Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics driver

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Update keeps installing older Intel Graphics driver: Windows 10 - 17134.191 Update insists installing and older Intel Graphics driver over the manually installed newest version available. Only started doing this recently. How do I stop this from happening? [img] [img] 115580
  10. How do I install an older IME driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I install an older IME driver?: I hear the Intel Management Engine Driver is causing my sleep/resume problems. I installed the v10 fine, but cannot install v9.5(which is the one I need). It says This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. 22518