Windows 10: How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop?

Discus and support How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The laptop that I’m using right now needs to have Windows 10 reinstalled. So the situation is this, my Windows 10 was having issues, so I clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zijincheng, Mar 22, 2016.

1. How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop?

The laptop that I’m using right now needs to have Windows 10 reinstalled. So the situation is this, my Windows 10 was having issues, so I clean installed windows 10 using the recovery in the hard drive, but the recovery img was literally just windows 10 without any of the prerequisite drivers, like WiFi, sound, so I'm stuck with a laptop that runs Windows 10, but nothing works because there are no drivers. (who provides a recovery img without drivers!!). In addition, the device manager was no help either as there is not list of device names so I couldn't search it up online and install it either.

So I contacted the manufacturer for drivers and they pointed me instead to the entire recovery RAR file below, which they claim has all the required drivers. I extracted it, and it contains files and folders instead of an ISO. I believe this collection of files/folders to be a recovery. See the picture below for what is inside. My question is how do I use this recovery image to install on the laptop?

I know how to install Windows 10 ISOs onto USBs to reinstall computers, and I even tried copying all the files from that RAR onto a USB and booting from it, but it just runs a CMD and then exits without having done anything. I’m at a complete loss as to what or how to utilize this recovery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See below for a screenshot of what the RAR file contains. Also find the link below for the recovery RAR files if anyone wants to take a stab (which I very much want to right now...in the physical sense)
    百度网盘-链接不存在

How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop? [​IMG]

EDIT: Windows.old didn't have any driver exe files either.

:)

zijincheng, Mar 22, 2016

2. How do I install this recovery RAR on my laptop?

Are you trying to clean install win 10? If so I would not mess around with a recovery but rather download the win 10 ISO which you are familiar with.

If you do not want to clean install but rather try to repair the current OS I would still download the ISO>boot from it>do a repair install to the current OS.

Can you be more specific?

I would use the Techbench link

The Official Final Windows 10 download is now available (10586)

Use the download tool to create ISO media to update your windows.

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Mar 22, 2016
  3. How do I install this recovery RAR on my laptop?

Since I have no idea what is in the "recovery" folders You may want to start by reading the "read me" file at the bottom of the folders. If that does not help you you should probably contact the computer maker.

If it is simply a driver issue I may be able to help you with that.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Mar 22, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop?

Post the contents of 0_flash.bat.

BTW: Judging by the spelling of "Reamde.txt", doesn't look promising.

Superfly, Mar 22, 2016
  5. No problem, will do that once I get home. Also, the readme.txt contains gibberish, I think it's encoded in chinese ASCII but it comes out all weird.

zijincheng, Mar 22, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    I bet the installers for your device drivers can be found in all of those language specific folders. If you are using an English Windows, open the EN-US folder and see what it contains.

About the 0_flash.bat, my guess is, judging by the fact this is part of manufacturer's recovery system, it's for flashing BIOS.

7. So opening up those folders just has a bootmgr.efi.mui file, the exact same as in all the other language folders. This is what I posted in another forum, hopefully it will help.

This is what the bat file says:

cd /d %~dp0
    fptw.exe -f I8211V6MIPI_V1.7.6G_R008_L1B1T1C65H0_LogoKM1082_20150909.bin
    pause
    c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0

This is in the scripts folder:

How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop? [​IMG]

And I finally got the readme decrypted, see the original mandarin then the google translate version:

TP:无
    recovery加入oem信息
    把Scripts下的所有文件拷贝到升级优盘的Scripts下,解决第一次开机在Audit模式下无法操作的问题并带测试工具
    多语言:英式英语(默认)、中文简体,中文繁体,美式英语,法语,德国,俄语

TP: No
    Join oem recovery information
    Scripts to copy all the files under the next upgrade to the USB Scripts, to solve the problem the first boot in Audit mode with inoperable and testing tools
    Multi-language: British English (the default), Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, American English, French, German, Russian

zijincheng, Mar 23, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Basically, that looks like the contents of a recovery partition that would be used by either manufacturer extra software or possibly bios to restore the computer to factory state, and probably factory crapware as well. I think about the best you could do with it is extract the drivers from it, if you can find them. I wonder if they are included in the install.wim or install.esd file in the sources directory. Is there an install.wim or install.esd file in the sources directory? And how big is it?

BTW, the link you posted in your OP is dead....

NavyLCDR, Mar 23, 2016
  9. Thanks for telling me, about the link, not much I can do about it, guess the manufacturer took it offline???

Also, regarding your question about the wim/esd file, is it possible to copy that wim file into an ISO and install it from there? The WIM file is 6GB by the way

zijincheng, Mar 23, 2016
  10. There is also a USMTT.pkg, would that be where all the drivers are kept? If so, how do I install it?

zijincheng, Mar 23, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    So, it looks like the WIM file would contain more than just Vanilla windows which would be just over 3GB in size (unless it contains more than 1 version of Windows). What I would try is open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt. Run:

REAGENTC.EXE /setosimage /path D:\Sources /index 1

The path in red will be the path to the folder that contains the install.wim file.

then REAGENTC /enable

If those commands are successful, then reboot the computer into recovery (hold down shift when you click restart). Then try to reset the computer and it should use the install.wim file. You might have to copy the install.wim file to a different partition with a different drive letter than Windows, though, for it to work. Not sure about that.

NavyLCDR, Mar 23, 2016
  12. Thanks just tried that. Didn't work though, it reinstalled Win10 but no drivers installed. The wim file is still there though

zijincheng, Mar 23, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

You can search the folder where the recovery image is extracted to and look for *.inf files.

NavyLCDR, Mar 23, 2016
  14. Can't you download the drivers you need from the manufacturer's site (individually)? I'd get the chipset and network drivers, then see if Windows Update can do the rest.

DeaconFrost, Mar 23, 2016
  15. DavidY Win User
    usmt.ppkg is a 'Provisioning Package'.

Edited: I think contains extra software from the Manufacturer (aka bloatware) but it might have drivers in it too. Thinking about it, there is an option when creating a usmt.ppkg to include drivers, so worth a look.

You can copy (or rename, but copy is safer) from .ppkg to .wim and then use DISM to mount the WIM file to see what's inside.

DavidY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop? - Similar Threads - install recovery zip

2. .exe and .zip files corrupted. How do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .exe and .zip files corrupted. How do I fix it?: Just a question. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-and-zip-files-corrupted-how-do-i-fix-it/96d1a290-403e-46b6-a475-458ef4c4bab2
  3. .exe and .zip files corrupted. How do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .exe and .zip files corrupted. How do I fix it?: Just a question. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-and-zip-files-corrupted-how-do-i-fix-it/96d1a290-403e-46b6-a475-458ef4c4bab2
  4. How do I delete files that are zipped?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete files that are zipped?: Hi Microsoft,I wanted to download a free game from Google Chrome. The downloading instructions were unclear to me so I think I messed up something. I had to download a preinstalled game as a file then a .zip file and I also needed another app called 7-zip to extract the file....
  5. How do I delete files that are zipped?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete files that are zipped?: Hi Microsoft,I wanted to download a free game from Google Chrome. The downloading instructions were unclear to me so I think I messed up something. I had to download a preinstalled game as a file then a .zip file and I also needed another app called 7-zip to extract the file....
  6. How do I do a clean install of Windows on a laptop in recovery mode?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I do a clean install of Windows on a laptop in recovery mode?: One of my laptops is in recovery mode but I don't the time or patience to try to recover the system to what it was and then install all the various updates. Since there is no important data on that laptop, I'd like to abandon the old data and just bring the laptop up to the...
  7. How do I zip the components of my minidump?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I zip the components of my minidump?: So I need to zip up my minidump files to send to Microsoft support and whenever I try to right click the selected files and go to Send to > Compressed Zip File, it gives me an error message saying “file not found or no read permission" submitted by /u/L0mm [link]...
  8. How do I install an app from a zip folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I install an app from a zip folder?: This may be a dumb question, but I need to know. I downloaded an app that's a zipped folder. I opened it, but it was just a file. Or that's what it seems to be. How do I open an app that's a zip folder? Do I open it to program files? How do I do that? I'm really dumb...
  9. How do i locate and then open a Zipped File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i locate and then open a Zipped File: How do I locate and then open a Zipped file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-locate-and-then-open-a-zipped-file/568a9251-6639-4a2e-834d-22a985e8084d"
  10. How do I open zip files in Windows 10? Do I need to install Winzip?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I open zip files in Windows 10? Do I need to install Winzip?: I have spent a frustrating half-hour trying to download and open a zip file containing an electronics service manual without success. As stated in title, I don't have Winzip, but understand that such files can be opened without this program, yet all I get is a drop-down menu,...