Windows 10: How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7?

Discus and support How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I only have ONE computer...a desktop...yes, it will run windows 10. I want to play around with Windows 10 before giving up Windows 7. Here's what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeeRex, Aug 5, 2015.

1. LeeRex Win User

How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7?

I only have ONE computer...a desktop...yes, it will run windows 10. I want to play around with Windows 10 before giving up Windows 7. Here's what I want to do:

Install two newly formatted hard drives (500 gb)
    Place Windows 10 on the new hard drives
    Keep my current Windows 7 just as it is
    Keep Windows 10 & 7 separate from one another so that one installation will not contaminate the other.

Thanks for your thoughtful solutions!

:)

LeeRex, Aug 5, 2015

2. Deleting all restore points in Windows 10

I have a lot of System restore points showing up in System restore from image backups. in System restore in Windows 10. My question is can I delete the restore points off of my computer and if so is it safe to do this without causing harm to my Windows
    10 installation.

Shawn Robert Robinson, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10

Hello,

I have just installed windows 10 on my PC which was automatically installed on my C drive.

My old Windows 7 is sitting in my D drive,

My Question is. Can I now format my D drive without doing any harm to the performance.

I'm well pleased so far with Windows 10, It is much quicker.

Michaelvan Weber, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Personally I'd recommend installing W10 on a separate drive, obviously though you'd have to buy a copy of Windows 10 if you're not upgrading your copy of W7. If you do go this route be sure to unplug all other drives whil installing W10.

Boozad, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    Did you buy Windows 10 on sale? How much did you pay?

Rocky, Aug 5, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Here's what I suggest you to do:
    • From Windows 7, download & Install Macrium Reflect Free. Connect one of your new 500GB HD and clone your current Windows 7 to it. Follow step 1,2,3 from the screen shot:

How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7? [​IMG]

• Disconnect your current Windows 7 then boot up with the new cloned copy of Windows 7
    • Upgrade it to Windows 10 so it will be fully activated.
    • If you decide to keep Windows 10 then do a fresh install of Windows 10. If not, disconnect the 500GB HD containing Windows 10 then re-connect your Windows 7
    • You are back to where it was before.

topgundcp, Aug 5, 2015
  7. rjkolo Win User
    Option 1: Download VMware player (free) and find an ISO and install windows 10 that way. You can play with it inside of the virtual environment, decided if you like it or not, then delete the VM and install Windows 10 or keep Windows 7 based on your decision.

Option 2: Just upgrade to Windows 10 ( you will probably like it) and if you do not like it, you have 30 days to go back to Windows 7 after you upgrade. Windows will allow you to do that, it is built in.

rjkolo, Aug 6, 2015
  8. LeeRex Win User

Very well thought out solutions...kudos to you all! All direct and to the point. Thanks

LeeRex, Aug 7, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Several people have had failures when attempting to go back to their previous OS. I would not rely upon rollback, but make an image before upgrading with Macrium Reflect.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  10. LeeRex Win User
    Worried me a bit, too.RJ's suggestion of a virtual machine sounded good so I'm working with that for the time being. Thanks Commander...Navy guy myself

LeeRex, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7? - Similar Threads - install without harming

2. How do I install windows 7 on my old laptop without a usb and without errors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I install windows 7 on my old laptop without a usb and without errors?: It won't let me install windows 7 on my old laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-windows-7-on-my-old-laptop/f9f028f0-d7e0-4197-8a28-42bfeb58856a
  3. How do I install windows 7 on my old laptop without a usb and without errors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I install windows 7 on my old laptop without a usb and without errors?: It won't let me install windows 7 on my old laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-windows-7-on-my-old-laptop/f9f028f0-d7e0-4197-8a28-42bfeb58856a
  4. How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?: Hello.I have currently got Windows 10 installed on my laptop it originally came with Windows 11, but, I've been willing to install Windows 7 on my laptop.So I downloaded the ISO, and I also downloaded PowerISO, so that I can mount the ISO. When I try picking a driver to...
  5. How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?

How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?: Hello.I have currently got Windows 10 installed on my laptop it originally came with Windows 11, but, I've been willing to install Windows 7 on my laptop.So I downloaded the ISO, and I also downloaded PowerISO, so that I can mount the ISO. When I try picking a driver to...
  6. How do i re-install Windows 7 without CD ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i re-install Windows 7 without CD ?: Hello.I have a old laptop that i would like to sell and because of that re-install Windows 7, so that all traces of me gets deleted and also so that its like someone just bought from a store, what options do i have ?Thanks....
  7. How do i re-install Windows 7 without CD ?

How do i re-install Windows 7 without CD ?: Hello.I have a old laptop that i would like to sell and because of that re-install Windows 7, so that all traces of me gets deleted and also so that its like someone just bought from a store, what options do i have ?Thanks....
  8. How do I install windows 7 without losing my copy of windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I install windows 7 without losing my copy of windows 10?: hi. I currently using Asus A442UR with implanted windows 10 inside. It's quite expensive for me, both the windows and the laptop itself, that now I have no more money to upgrade RAM and Harddisk And, the laptop running slowly. I been tired to keep reinstalling windows,...
  9. How Do I re-activate windows without installing Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How Do I re-activate windows without installing Windows 7: My Motherboard bit the dust so I replaced it. Now windows won't activate. This is an upgrade from Windows 7 when the free Win 10 was offered. I tried signing in using my MS account but it gave me the error saying you do not have a OS purchased. No I did not purchase 10 I...
  10. How do i install windows 10 without csm

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i install windows 10 without csm: Hello, I have a problem that i installed windows 10 with csm enabled so when i go into bios and turn off csm my system doesn't boot up and there is no boot options. I want to reinstall it with csm disabled but i don't know how. I have windows 10 home 64bit original usb...