Windows 10: How do I know if ChkDsk has done anything to my files?

Discus and support How do I know if ChkDsk has done anything to my files? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi guys, I just did a chkdsk /r and I got the log from eventvwr. However after reading the log, I'm still unsure as to what actions have been taken... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by illonus, Aug 4, 2016.

1. illonus Win User

How do I know if ChkDsk has done anything to my files?

Hi guys, I just did a chkdsk /r and I got the log from eventvwr. However after reading the log, I'm still unsure as to what actions have been taken after the scan, and I'm also afraid that any actions had possibly removed any files. Could someone guide me through each line, and tell me if there was any actions taken (esp those that might indicate files becoming lost) if possible please? Thanks in advance!

Log:
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is OS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    738304 file records processed. File verification completed.
    13485 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
    Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    889616 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 4380 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 4380 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 4380 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    75657 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    35814736 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
    738288 files processed. File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
    140869215 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

964239359 KB total disk space.
    399501492 KB in 388924 files.
    387224 KB in 75658 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    873783 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    563476860 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    241059839 total allocation units on disk.
    140869215 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 44 0b 00 4f 16 07 00 62 78 0d 00 00 00 00 00 .D..O...bx......
    69 0f 00 00 5d 62 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 i...]b..........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

:)

illonus, Aug 4, 2016

2. How do I know if my data on my phone has transfered to my PC?

When I sync my Phone, the WMDC states that I am synced and recognizes my phone. However, I recently upgraded to 6.5 Windows Mobile. When I synced my phone to transfer the data from my PC to my phone, nothing transfered. I don't even know where to find
    any of my data in the WMDC. Any ideas?

RonMalcomson, Aug 4, 2016
  3. How do I know if my data on my phone has transfered to my PC?

What data do you want to sync to your computer? Do you have Outlook installed on your computer?

Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices |
    http://pocketprimer.com

Julie fka profjulie, Aug 4, 2016
  4. Beaupeep Win User

Nothing to be worried about. If it had found any lost file fragments it would have informed you.

As mentioned in the log entry the utility has made corrections to the bitmap as it found free space marked as allocated. And no bad clusters found after the surface scan. Your hard disk & the data on it are healthy.

All that said, please make sure you backup your data regularly. Hard disks are known to fail.

Beaupeep, Aug 4, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    If it finds anything and "fixes" it, there would be *.chk folder/file on C. partition. It's very difficult to extract anything useful from it so I just delete it.

CountMike, Aug 4, 2016
  6. illonus Win User
    Alright thanks guys for the reply! One more question.

"CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap." - Is it common for this to happen? (I read somewhere using the program Eraser could possibly be related to this happening)

And are there any chance of that space actually being allocated but erroneously detected as free space by Chkdsk, and thus having some data lost?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my paranoia, don't like to lose things lol

illonus, Aug 4, 2016
  7. Beaupeep Win User
    It's not common but does happen. I've not experienced any detrimental effects on my data after such a 'repair'.

If you don't like losing data (like me) consider backing it up regularly. Backup frequency depends on how frequently your data changes. My backup program is set to do incremental disk backups every few hours.

Beaupeep, Aug 4, 2016
  8. illonus Win User

OK thank you very much for clarifying my doubts, and I will back up more frequently as per your advice. Have a good day *Smile

illonus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I know if ChkDsk has done anything to my files? - Similar Threads - ChkDsk has done

2. How do I undo everything OneDrive has done?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I undo everything OneDrive has done?: I have a few clients - they work with mutiple companies and one of them had them install one drive. Now they can't even create text files on their desktop. I looked - their desktop is now part of a one drive folder. I tried to uninstall onedrive but it is still in that...
  3. How do I undo everything OneDrive has done?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I undo everything OneDrive has done?: I have a few clients - they work with mutiple companies and one of them had them install one drive. Now they can't even create text files on their desktop. I looked - their desktop is now part of a one drive folder. I tried to uninstall onedrive but it is still in that...
  4. chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.: I have a external drive with A LOT of bad sectors on it, it is connected by a sata to usb connector. I ran chkdsk F: /f /r and it failed so I added /x and it seemed to get on much better but has been stuck on 10% for the past hour and is at stage 2 of the process. Now, on my...
  5. chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.: I have a external drive with A LOT of bad sectors on it, it is connected by a sata to usb connector. I ran chkdsk F: /f /r and it failed so I added /x and it seemed to get on much better but has been stuck on 10% for the past hour and is at stage 2 of the process. Now, on my...
  6. chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Estimated time for chkdsk to done

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Estimated time for chkdsk to done: Hi. I want to ask, how long for chkdsk to done? I have maybe 528 GB on my C drive main disk. And i want to know estimated time for drives that have 1-5 TB of storage....
  8. Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything: I am running a dualboot setup with Linux Mint 19.1 and Windows 10. Recently, I've started to notice that some of the files on my Windows partition have corrupted (so far I've only seen 3 corrupt files in Event Viewer, none of which are important). (It's also worth noting that...
  9. activatation, how to know if it is done???

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activatation, how to know if it is done???: see above .. wow.. how hard can this be lol https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activatation-how-to-know-if-it-is-done/d93a0655-29b4-4917-9b67-bfbfbecaa66a"
  10. How do I run chkdsk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I run chkdsk: I keep getting this error message...something to the effect of "something wrong w/D drive and needs to be scanned". I went on line and was told to click win key and x, then select command prompt administrator, then type in D f / r / x. Is this correct or should there be...