Windows 10: How do I know if I'm connected to the internet / windows update

Discus and support How do I know if I'm connected to the internet / windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Three things. Got Windows 10 on my tablet and I've got no idea how to see if I'm connected to the internet (short of trying a browser). Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xenole, Oct 24, 2016.

1. xenole Win User

How do I know if I'm connected to the internet / windows update

Three things.

Got Windows 10 on my tablet and I've got no idea how to see if I'm connected to the internet (short of trying a browser).
    Windows 7 had the wi-fi or internet icon in the bottom right hand corner but I've nothing and can't find any way of getting it.

Secondly, how do I update Windows? I Googled some things but I can't find a single option that lets me do anything such as downloading updates or even updating drivers.

Thirdly, my network card keeps saying disabled. I enable it, a box appears saying "enabling" yet the box next to the Bluetooth box stays grey and say "disabled". I can possibly access the internet but then it cuts me off saying "no connection".

:)

xenole, Oct 24, 2016
  2. jbbrown96 Win User

How do I know if I am getting the latest update for Win 10

Thanks for such a prompt reply. But unfortunately, it seems that the response does not in any way respond to my question. So perhaps, I´m still not being clear with my question. Yesterday, 5 Feb. 2016, I updated my computer to version 1511 Build 10586. This
    was updated from build 10240. Now, logic would dictate that 10586 comes after 10240, so therefore, it would follow that 10586 is the newer version.

The question comes from the fact that when I did a simple google search, there were people posting comments about version 1511 Build 10586 in November 2015. Now, I know, without a doubt that I received build 10240 AFTER November 2015. So, my question once
    again is:

If version 1511 Build 10586 is "the latest and most up to date," why is Win 10 computer, which has been set to auto update since purchase, receiving this "latest and greatest" update 4 months after most other people did? Was there a version 1511 Build 10586
    pushed out in November of 2015 that I did not receive? Are there TWO version 1511 Build 10586 updates?

This is the entire point of my question. If it was new in Nov. 2015, then it´s not new today, which causes me to question how I know--without a doubt--that the "new" version pushed to my computer, is, in fact, the "newEST" version?

Thanks again. I am not trying to be sarcastic or difficult. I simply want a straight answer to my question.

jbbrown96, Oct 24, 2016
  3. How do I know if I am getting the latest update for Win 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed.
    In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows
    Updates are installed.

If any updates are installing on your system you can check this in Update & Security page. Click on Settings > select Update & Security.

If you want to check the list of installed updates on your system,

In search type View installed Updates and hit enter.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 24, 2016
  4. How do I know if I'm connected to the internet / windows update

Welcome to the forum *Smile

1)
    • Right click on an empty space in the Taskbar
    • Settings
    • Scroll down to Notification Area
    • Click on Select which icons appear on the taskbar
    • Change Network to On
    Then
    • Click on the Wifi icon in right of Taskbar
    • You will see a list of available networks and the one you are connected to, a pointer hover will also show this..
    Also there is turn Wifi and Airplane mode On or Off
    Click on Network settings for various options

2)
    • Settings
    • Update & security
    • Click on Check for updates
    Also, there are various links to update options on that page

3)
    Sorry, I don't know anything about network cards etc. Someone else will probably be able to help with this but I think they will need more information, at least the make and model of your tablet computer

FrillyBits, Oct 24, 2016
  5. xenole Win User
    I don't have any "settings" options.

I right click on the taskbar and get a menu that says:

Toolbars
    Search
    Show Task View Button
    Show Touch Keyboard Button
    etc.

The wi-fi symbol is on my taskbar - it just takes ages to respond, assuming it does anything.
    Just nowhere near as user friendly as Win7.

As for "settings", did a search and found something, backtracked from there and a got a window with different options come up including "update and security" but I don't seem to have any direct route to it or I can't tell exactly what's happening (says "downloading or waiting to install")

Linx 10 tablet.

xenole, Oct 24, 2016
  6. strollin Win User
    You need to access "All settings" from the Action Center. There should be a rectangular icon on the right side of the Taskbar. Click on that to access the Action Center. The Action Center pops out from the right side of the screen. Near the bottom of the Action Center you should see a button labeled "All settings", click it and then you will see "Update & security".

However, you really don't need to manually check for updates since in Windows 10, updates are automatically downloaded and installed.

strollin, Oct 24, 2016
  7. xenole Win User
    I assume you mean the square speech / text bubble?
    I right click on that, it comes up with "open action centre" and "quiet hours" but clicking on "open action centre" does nothing.

xenole, Oct 24, 2016
  8. How do I know if I'm connected to the internet / windows update

Settings should be at the bottom of that menu?

Click the Start Button on the taskbar and you should see a gear icon right above a Power icon up the left side of the screen. Assuming your taskbar is at the bottom. Clicking the gear Icon should open Settings.

alphanumeric, Oct 24, 2016
  9. alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I know if I'm connected to the internet / windows update

1. How do I know if I'm connected to the internet / windows update - Similar Threads - I'm connected internet

2. Windows said "I'm not connected to internet". But i have internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows said "I'm not connected to internet". But i have internet.: My windows say that i have no internet, but i can navigate on internet, i can play video games online, chat, and i can do this. What can i do?, HELP!...
  3. Windows said "I'm not connected to internet". But i have internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows said "I'm not connected to internet". But i have internet.: My windows say that i have no internet, but i can navigate on internet, i can play video games online, chat, and i can do this. What can i do?, HELP!...
  4. Windows said "I'm not connected to internet". But i have internet.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How do I connect to the internet?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I connect to the internet?: My laptop can always connect to my WIFI, but somehow can´t connect to the internet. it always says 'No Internet, Secured'. I have to restart my laptop every time in order to connect to the internet....
  6. How do I connect to the internet?

How do I connect to the internet?: My laptop can always connect to my WIFI, but somehow can´t connect to the internet. it always says 'No Internet, Secured'. I have to restart my laptop every time in order to connect to the internet....
  7. How do I connect to the internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. How do I know if I'm on the offical roblox we

How do I know if I'm on the offical roblox we: Whenever I try to download it, it says roblox.website.exe. Is this the real one? add me on discord so i can show you proof, John Parrot#7734 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-know-if-im-on-the-offical-roblox-we/92a260ea-0a7f-4b6b-8272-93f418fb8842
  9. Windows Network & Internet Says I'm Connected to the Internet but I'm NOT

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Network & Internet Says I'm Connected to the Internet but I'm NOT: In the Network & Internet settings of windows 10 I am seeing "You're connected to the internet" . But none of my browsers can get to a website. This computer is connected with an ethernet. I have restarted my router and all of my other ethernet and wifi computers can...
  10. How do I know if i'm being hacked?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I know if i'm being hacked?: how do I know if i'm being hacked ? what exactly helps to notice that my windows is hacked ? [Original Title: security]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Do I need to be connected to the Internet to get windows updates

2. how do i know i.m connected to the internet

3. how do I know if i m connected to the internent