Windows 10: How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition?

Discus and support How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The regular Win10 updates usually don't affect users much, but new editions add (and maybe subtract or change) functions. Now that MS is rolling out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Newmaven, May 13, 2017.

1. Newmaven Win User

How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition?

The regular Win10 updates usually don't affect users much, but new editions add (and maybe subtract or change) functions. Now that MS is rolling out Creators Update over time, how do I know when I have it?

:)

Newmaven, May 13, 2017
  2. LCRT Win User
  3. how do i know if my phone is updated to the latest anniversary update ?

So I just bought Lumia 640 XL some days ago & it's updated to 10.0.14393.321 OS Build (Version 1607) I wanna know if it's the latest anniversary update. And if it's not the anniversary update then how do I get it ? because when I check for updates it says
    my phone is up to date. Thanks How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition? :)

Shivam Adhvaryu, May 13, 2017
  4. How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition?

Hi Newmaven

windows Key + X, click on system. If your build is 1703 then you have it. 1607 is Anniversary update.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 13, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your Windows will stop working.

Just kidding!

Type Winver in search and run it (winver). Version 1607 is the Anniversary Update. Version 1703 is Creator's Update.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2017
  6. Newmaven Win User
    Win+X/System yielded a panel of info that did not mention the Windows build. Winver worked.

Still, it would be smart if MS popped an on-screen notice when a new OS edition was installed, with a link to info on its new features.

Newmaven, May 13, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    It used to be that (almost) every application had a Help menu item, and under Help, an About menu item. Alt+h, a brought this dialog up like a Winver screen without license or expiration date.

Here's Regedit's Help, About dialog on the right.

My solution is to use BGInfo from Microsoft Windows Sysinternals with a string made from several custom fields from the registry the BGInfo editor on the left and the display string in the lower right:

How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition? [​IMG]

I could schedule the Compaq.bgi configuration script to run at startup, but I just run it when I know there's been an update after patch Tuesday. When multibooting, it's worth knowing exactly which version your'e in - the insiders have watermarks, but I like to know which user I am logged in as and computer name, 64-or 32-bit the version number etc. especially with several machines on the go.

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition?

1. How do I know when Win 10 has updated to a new edition? - Similar Threads - has updated edition

2. how do i know if a laptop needs a new battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i know if a laptop needs a new battery: My two year old Dell laptop runs out of battery power after two hours. How can I tell if I need a new battery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-know-if-a-laptop-needs-a-new-battery/6ea06f17-63c8-4c80-bd74-5adbc3758540
  3. how do i know if a laptop needs a new battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i know if a laptop needs a new battery: My two year old Dell laptop runs out of battery power after two hours. How can I tell if I need a new battery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-know-if-a-laptop-needs-a-new-battery/6ea06f17-63c8-4c80-bd74-5adbc3758540
  4. how do i know if a laptop needs a new battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How do I know when my Windows 10 was activated?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I know when my Windows 10 was activated?: Hi How do I know when my Windows 10 was activated? And how many times has it been activated? Activated as product code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-know-when-my-windows-10-was-activated/e5647ff1-5aa3-45b7-a0da-44eec4cfc14a
  6. How do I know if a backup has ended and was successfully?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I know if a backup has ended and was successfully?: How do I know if a back up has ended and was successfully? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up/e2acf5e6-e521-4419-a406-840b4ccf979f"
  7. How do I know which updates are pending

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I know which updates are pending: Win 10 Pro 1703 The other day I paused updates to prevent new big one coming through. Yesterday I unpause it to get a Defender/Antivirus update, it worked and let it download and install. I then paused updates again. However I cannot find a way to see which updates are...
  8. How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Install: I think I my have fudged my install a little. I used minitool partition wizard to recover the 450MB recovery partition and may have went the wrong way about it. So.......... How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Pro Install, and what partitions should be present before...
  9. How do I copy files from my old computer to new that has Win 10 ??

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I copy files from my old computer to new that has Win 10 ??: I can easily copy/move files from old computer with XP pro via a shared folder or a flash drive to new with Win 10 .Cant work out how to copy straight to a desk top folder Its no hassle to copy/move from the shared folder to desk top but like to keep the desk top tidy. Must...
  10. How do I know if drivers for my laptop are compatible with Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I know if drivers for my laptop are compatible with Win 10?: I'm using a Samsung NP370R5E-A06UK (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP370R5E-A06UK) and currently running Win 7 on it. I want to upgrade to Win 10, but I don't know if all the device drivers will be compatible with it. I really would not want to spend 4 hours of time...