Windows 10: How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

Discus and support How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To try and keep a long story as short as possible: I'm trying to install Win 10 on an external SSD, which I can boot on my MacBook Pro. To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DCEd, Oct 3, 2016.

1. DCEd Win User

How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

To try and keep a long story as short as possible:

I'm trying to install Win 10 on an external SSD, which I can boot on my MacBook Pro.

To complete the installation I have downloaded:
    - install.esd and converted it to install.wim
    - Windows 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft
    - Boot Camp drivers from Apple

The final piece of the puzzle is to complete this step:

• Windows AIK (free) running on your Virtual Machine or on your PC, or just the imagex.exe file (the rest of the Windows AIK package is not needed)

This is to complete this final stage of the installation:

Step 3: Deploy the Windows installation image

• Still using the command prompt in admin mode (you didn't close it, did you? *Wink ), locate the imagex.exe file mentioned in the "What you'll need" section and access its folder. In our example, we have put this file in C:\imagex\imagex.exe
    • Your Windows installation ISO has probably several installation options in it. So in order to identify the right one, type in the following:imagex.exe /info C:\wim\install.wim
    • Now identify the INDEX number of the installation that you wish to deploy. You will use it in the next step.
    • Type the following and hit enter. Replace 1 with the INDEX you identified in the previous step. Also remember to replace o: with the letter you have chosen in the previous step:imagex.exe /apply C:\wim\install.wim 1 o:
      This will take some time. The Windows installation image is being deployed to your external drive
    • Once done, type the following to create the boot section (remember to replace o: and b: with the letters you've chosen in the previous step)How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file? :eek::\windows\system32\bcdboot o:\windows /f ALL /s b:

I'm doing this on a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7.
      I've also purchased a genuine license for Windows 10 Pro.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

:)

DCEd, Oct 3, 2016

2. The only virus on my computer is windows 10

wimlib-imagex.exe extracted the drivers and dlls from install.wim from the sources folder on the windows 10 ISO. After drivers and dll's on the current installation were replaced, an in place upgrade was accomplished. I don't know why it just did, I'm thinking
    the ISO I downloaded was different from the online upgrade image. In any case I have my old apps and hopefully 10 will be better than 7.

thanks

bill a.

Bill.Anderson, Oct 3, 2016
  3. loyall Win User
    Setting a task trigger to create a daily System Restore point

Ramesh.

I followed the instructions at the website you gave me, but I don't think the task I created will work. Here is what happened.

The extract process is troublesome. I located the zip file in Downloads. I right clicked and selected Extract All. I was offered a location, but instead I chose browse, and selected C:\Windows. I clicked Extract. The resulting folder and location is C:\Windows\automatic_restore_point.zip
    I was under the impression that extracted files should not end in zip? Also the entry in the Task Scheduler library includes an error code: 0x41303.

What should I do now? Do you think the task will work?

loyall, Oct 3, 2016
Thema:

How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

1. How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file? - Similar Threads - locate extract imagex

2. how do i delete the file that failed to extract on winrar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i delete the file that failed to extract on winrar: so basically i tried extracting this huge file but i cancelled cuz it was so slow when cancelled it took alot of space in my laptop i had about 26 gb left now i have 12.6 gb left how do i fics...
  3. how do i delete the file that failed to extract on winrar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i delete the file that failed to extract on winrar: so basically i tried extracting this huge file but i cancelled cuz it was so slow when cancelled it took alot of space in my laptop i had about 26 gb left now i have 12.6 gb left how do i fics...
  4. I can't move nor extract .exe files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't move nor extract .exe files: I'm unable to move .exe files from a .zip into other location as they don't get moved. If i do it from the administrator account they get moved without any issue and stay on my other account, i have tried to enable admin privileges on my account but it seems like i did...
  5. Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation: After resetting my PC I have encountered some problems which do not allow me to install several programs: I am not able to install my Brother printers' drivers - installation ends with a message "Failed to decompress the archive". A similar message appears when I tried to...
  6. Exe File Location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Exe File Location: Hey guys, I installed a driver with an exe file a while back for a school project but no longer need it and I'm wondering if I am able to figure out which driver it installed from the exe file. I couldn't find it in my system's drivers so I am asking if there is a way to...
  7. CODECs .exe file location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CODECs .exe file location: Downloaded this .exe file, which landed in Documents. Should it be in Apps folder? Want to successfully install it. Never before had anything to do with an .exe file....
  8. 1152: Error extracting files to the temporary location

in Windows 10 News
    1152: Error extracting files to the temporary location: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you extract the contents of a file or when an installation is in progress, the extraction of its files to a temporary location fails, then this post may help you. Some times in a situation like this, you may [...] This post 1152: Error extracting files...
  9. How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps?

How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps?: I have an application that allows editing with another app. The old way to find the executable is to right-click on the icon that opens the app, then properties. How do you find the exe in win 10?? 26278
  10. How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?: BTW: this post relates to an earlier post of today. I'm creating a new post, because (a) I don't want to hijack my own post, and (b) I don't want to hide possibly useful info inside the wrong title. The older post is here. I'll need to go back and edit the older post after I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. where do i find imagex executable