Windows 10: How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps?

Discus and support How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an application that allows editing with another app. The old way to find the executable is to right-click on the icon that opens the app, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lbeck, Oct 13, 2015.

1. lbeck Win User

How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps?

I have an application that allows editing with another app. The old way to find the executable is to right-click on the icon that opens the app, then properties. How do you find the exe in win 10??

:)

lbeck, Oct 13, 2015
  2. bvalley Win User

DLLHOST32.exe

How do I remove DLLHOST32.exe from WIN 10?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

bvalley, Oct 13, 2015
  3. In Windows 10 I keep losing prefences in File Explorer,and IE. Apps point to the wrong directories.

Today I downloaded Win10.exe and reinstalled Win10. I have never had a disk for Win 10. All of my pointers point to the wrong locations!

KellySchnick, Oct 13, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 13, 2015
  5. lbeck Win User
    Well, that stinks. Not being a developer, how do I access some sort of file that defines/points to an application so that I can reference it in another program?

Also to drag it to my desktop. I'm still using the windows 7 desktop and not the windows 10 tiles screen.

lbeck, Oct 13, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, these are accessible in 'Open With' and you can drag the shortcut from the Win 10 start menu onto the desktop, Classic Shell start menu or wherever you like.

Not sure what you mean by Windows 7 desktop.. presumably you mean (like me) you're primarily a desktop user. Point is, the tiled apps run windowed so they can be used in a desktop environment. So, for example, because I've dragged some shortcuts from the Win 10 menu and added them to Classic Shell's start menu, I can, for example, open Classic Shell start menu , type 'Corta' and get a shortcut to Cortana listed. (But Win S is much quicker.. and hey, I've no real use for Cortana except for mild amusement- like asking Cortana 'How old are you?'!

There are some good reference apps in the Store..

No idea offhand about referencing them from another program.. needs research.

dalchina, Oct 14, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    To start a modern app from command prompt you can use use start.exe (See Opening Windows 8 Apps from a Command Prompt or Script). For example: Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. D:\Users\Hali>start BingWeather: D:\Users\Hali>[/quote] If you want to put shortcuts to modern apps on your desktop you can do this:

1. Open the Windows 8 style fly-out search by hitting :start: + R together and then entering the following: Code: %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe -sta {C90FB8CA-3295-4462-A721-2935E83694BA}[/quote]
    How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps? [​IMG]

2. Search for a modern app (such as weather)

3. Right click and open file location.

4. In the file explorer window that opens right click on the modern app you want and Create shortcut

5. You'll get the message "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?" Reply Yes and it will be placed on desktop.

Notice the target type is xxxxxxxxxxxx!App not Application which it is for legacy Applications.

8. rsdnn Win User

rsdnn, Mar 13, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Pardon? See how different a shortcut to one is..

And try adding one to Send to... you can't. Needs an 'exe' that accepts a parameter for that to work.

dalchina, Mar 13, 2016
  10. rsdnn Win User
    the appx should be compressed

rsdnn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I locate the .exe for Win 10 apps? - Similar Threads - locate exe apps

2. How can I move the Minecraft windows 10 .exe file to a different location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I move the Minecraft windows 10 .exe file to a different location?: I have found out that the .exe file is in the windows apps folder but I want to move it so I can add it to steam to stream. Steam does not recognize the path because the folder is blocking anything from viewing it. I think this is ok as long as Microsoft does not put files...
  3. How can I move the Minecraft windows 10 .exe file to a different location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I move the Minecraft windows 10 .exe file to a different location?: I have found out that the .exe file is in the windows apps folder but I want to move it so I can add it to steam to stream. Steam does not recognize the path because the folder is blocking anything from viewing it. I think this is ok as long as Microsoft does not put files...
  4. How can I move the Minecraft windows 10 .exe file to a different location?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. Exe File Location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Exe File Location: Hey guys, I installed a driver with an exe file a while back for a school project but no longer need it and I'm wondering if I am able to figure out which driver it installed from the exe file. I couldn't find it in my system's drivers so I am asking if there is a way to...
  6. How do I delete a location in The Weather Channel app in windows 10?

How do I delete a location in The Weather Channel app in windows 10?: How do I delete a location in The Weather Channel app in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weather-channel-app/dc61094f-1eb3-45b1-94e7-878c08279d12
  7. how do I change my computer "Location" Win 10...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I change my computer "Location" Win 10...: how do I change my computer "Location" Win 10... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-change-my-computer-location-win-10/4536acae-f1ca-4811-9e62-06e522e82b86
  8. Message location of Win 10 Mail app messages

in Browsers and Email
    Message location of Win 10 Mail app messages: How can I move location of messages in windows 10 mail app form the default location on drive C: to drive d: ? Walter 97741
  9. How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?: BTW: this post relates to an earlier post of today. I'm creating a new post, because (a) I don't want to hijack my own post, and (b) I don't want to hide possibly useful info inside the wrong title. The older post is here. I'll need to go back and edit the older post after I...
  10. Here's how to find location of Metro Apps in Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Here's how to find location of Metro Apps in Win 10: Hi there Some of you might want to put some metro apps as short cuts on the desktop without having to use tiles etc. You can also create LINKS and save these on a custom toolbar if you want. 1) run the following command : explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder 2) when the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .exe file

2. how to find an exe file in windows 10

3. applications.exe

4. windows 10 locate exe,
  5. exe opener,
  6. equalizer app windows 10,
  7. winstore.app.exe,
  8. application files exe,
  9. windows store choose install location,
  10. all apps windows 10,
  11. find windows exe windows 10,