Windows 10: How do I make an image of my drive on laptop to get SSD?

Discus and support How do I make an image of my drive on laptop to get SSD? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Thinking of purchasing a new hard drive for my i7 laptop. It's an HP system that is a couple of years old. It has a toshiba hard drive 500GB. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pittguy578, Aug 19, 2015.

1. How do I make an image of my drive on laptop to get SSD?

Thinking of purchasing a new hard drive for my i7 laptop. It's an HP system that is a couple of years old. It has a toshiba hard drive 500GB. I am thinking that is what is causing to be "slow" compared to even my old laptop. Things just aren't that snappy. Just wondering though. How do I make an image of my hard drive with a laptop since there is only one bay for a drive? Is there a "kit" that would enable it to be ran as a external usb drive to get it done ?

:)

pittguy578, Aug 19, 2015

2. How do I get windows 10 to make automatic image backups on a 2nd windows 10 system (over the network)

Hi Steven,

Thanks posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue will be better suited on Microsoft Technet forum. So, I suggest you to post your query on Microsoft Technet forum.

Refer to the below link:

Technet forums

For any query related to Windows Operating System, feel free to post on Microsoft Community.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 19, 2015
  3. How do I get windows 10 to make automatic image backups on a 2nd windows 10 system (over the network)

I'm asking for help with the backup and networking features that are part of the Windows 10 Operating System.

StevenValentine408, Aug 19, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

How do I make an image of my drive on laptop to get SSD?

topgundcp, Aug 19, 2015
  5. Traijan Win User
    I used this:
    Encrypted USB Drive - Secure External Hard Drive

The last time that I wanted to upgrade my single drive notebook. Thankfully now I have a two drive notebook which makes things like backups a bit quicker.

Nice thing about this unit is that I've been using it now as an external usb drive. When I swapped in the new SSD (that had the cloned info on it) I continued to use the original drive connected to this device on an as needed basis to backup data as it will read just as a usb drive. So I often swap it between my desktop and my laptops when I want to share data quicker than trying to move it across our home lan.

And now the Warnings:
    It only works with 2.5" drives. I tried hooking it up to a typical Desktop sized drive and the computer didn't even notice anything was connected, but we are talking about laptops so that shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing I experienced is that I was using this as a simple USB drive after cloning my drive and when I took that hdd and plugged it into an SATA port on my desktop (figuring I'd just do it that way to get faster transfers) it wouldn't work, it wanted to do something to the MBR which ended up wiping the drive, once it was cleaned and reformatted though it worked fine as another internal drive to my desktop. Again most people won't do that but it's something to be aware of.

Traijan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I make an image of my drive on laptop to get SSD?

1. How do I make an image of my drive on laptop to get SSD? - Similar Threads - image drive laptop

2. How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?: Hello,I have a Dell Laptop that came with 512 gb ssd and recently I installed a new 2 tb ssd and cloned the original drive. I have changed where storage is saved from the settings menu as well as changing boot order. However, everything keeps trying to install or save to the...
  3. How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?: Hello,I have a Dell Laptop that came with 512 gb ssd and recently I installed a new 2 tb ssd and cloned the original drive. I have changed where storage is saved from the settings menu as well as changing boot order. However, everything keeps trying to install or save to the...
  4. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  5. How do I make the SSD my main hard drive with the HHD still on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make the SSD my main hard drive with the HHD still on my computer?: I just went out and bought myself an HDD to help with the lag even when I have an Alienware R11. My PC came with 8GB of memory, so I also bought 2 16GB memory extenders. I am very paranoid with having viruses since getting the new installs, so I wiped the pc clean. I want to...
  6. How do I make the SSD my main hard drive with the HHD still on my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make the SSD my main hard drive with the HHD still on my computer?: I just went out and bought myself an HDD to help with the lag even when I have an Alienware R11. My PC came with 8GB of memory, so I also bought 2 16GB memory extenders. I am very paranoid with having viruses since getting the new installs, so I wiped the pc clean. I want to...
  7. Making my SSD the boot drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Making my SSD the boot drive: I want to make my new SSD my boot drive and I think to do that I have to install windows 10 on it, select it as the boot drive in bios and that should be it, right? I've already formatted it so I'm not worried about that Before I make a mistake though I wanted to get my...
  8. How to make the most of my SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make the most of my SSD drive?: I have a laptop with a 120 GB SSD drive and a secondary 1TB HDD. I moved my Windows file folders (documents, images, downloads etc.) to the HDD. I read that an SSD is significantly faster than the other type of drive. So my question is whether i have to do something specific...
  9. How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?: Hello, so I recently Installed windows to my new Kingston ssd and I have noticed that it does not display in my bios as the main boot drive for UEFI. So whenever I have to turn off my computer or restart it I have to press f9 boot drive selector and manually select my ssd to...
  10. How do I make windows search, search in my SSD and HARD DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make windows search, search in my SSD and HARD DRIVE?: I don't want to use a 3rd party software that's a program. I don't mind if the 3rd party software replaces my search bar but I want to make my search bar use my HDD and my SSD. My Windows 10 is in my SSD and let me show you [img] [img] [img] like i added my...