Windows 10: How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD?

Discus and support How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay so basically I have a game called Quake 3 on my HDD and a different quake on my SSD. I want it to be like the old Windows 7 where if I typed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by McSweg, Aug 28, 2017.

1. McSweg Win User

How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD?

Okay so basically I have a game called Quake 3 on my HDD and a different quake on my SSD.

I want it to be like the old Windows 7 where if I typed Quake it would find that file but how?

I managed to disable cortana and it now shows "Search Windows" instead of cortana

How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD? [​IMG]

:)

McSweg, Aug 28, 2017
  2. tedathy Win User

indexing and search on desktop with SSD and HDD installed

I have Dell Optiplex 3020 with two drives installed.

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/nS2RBNB0HB56945X, rev EMT02B6Q, SMART Status:
    Healthy

SSD as drive C: with the windows system and working files.

The HDD is drive E WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCC3F0CTLJN9, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status:
    Healthy

and I backup files on to this HDD.

The properties of C: under general tab is set to "allow files to have contents indexed

The properties of E: under general tab is not set to "allow files to have contents indexed

When I use Cortana to search the backed up version of my file on HDD drive E are returned and not the working version on SSD drive C

How do I prevent the search returning filenames from HDD drive E?

I only want to search the working files on SSD drive C:

Help and suggestions please

tedathy, Aug 28, 2017
  3. How do I make cortana for android talk?

I just downloaded the cortana for android app, but she doesn't talk.

How do I set up her voice?

annushkaenkeli, Aug 28, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

That means changing the security permissions on the old hard drive.

bro67, Aug 29, 2017
  5. Instead of struggling with Cortana and Windows Search my preference is to use 2 third party software. I set one to only search my C drive and the other to only search my second drive. Both Everything and UltraSearch can search both drives if wanted, with UltraSearch you can very quickly include and exclude drives from the search Both are small, fast, reliable, very efficient and free

Everything Search
    UltraSearch

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Aug 29, 2017
  6. McSweg Win User
    It doesn't even search all files from my SSD or HDD I don't even know which one it searches through.. I know it doesn't find everything.

McSweg, Aug 29, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Again, you have to change the Security permissions for that other drive, by going in to explorer where it shows the drive for C: and most likely the old one as D: or whatever drive letter, then right click on the old drive, choose properties and then choose Security to change the permissions on the whole drive to your user ID>

bro67, Aug 30, 2017
  8. How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD?

I'm on the latest windows insider build and the feature seems to have made a comeback. It now displays all the files regardless of it's location in my computer. I did request for it in the feedback option in Cortana, that may have helped.

anthonybaus, Sep 1, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    What version of Windows that you are using has zero to do with how your searches go. There are more powerful third party search programs out there that do not tell Microsoft what you are searching for. I suggest that you go to majorgeeks.com and look for a third party search program tat works a lot better than the search feature that Microsoft uses.

Cortona will tell Microsoft for their metrics how someone is using that program to search for stuff and how the OS is returning what may or may not have been asked for Windows search to look for.

bro67, Sep 1, 2017
  10. McSweg Win User
    what do you mean?

McSweg, Sep 1, 2017
  11. I've tried a lot of those 3rd party ones and eventually stuck with Everything Search, but none of them is quite as effective as Cortana to search music files, which is what I do most of the time I hit up a search.

My main gripe with Cortana was that it forced me to click through filters to get results for files stored in other partitions and external drives, which was annoying cuz I run windows on a small SSD and store media on HDD. Now that it has been rectified, I have no problem using it as my only search tool notwithstanding the privacy concerns you've mentioned.

anthonybaus, Sep 1, 2017
  12. I'm assuming you've indexed all the drives you want to be included in Search Options. Even then, I've noticed that Cortana won't display results for .exe files that are not in the Programs List as well as many other file types. Just use Everything if you want a reliable search for everything.

anthonybaus, Sep 1, 2017
  13. McSweg Win User

Yeah, I put my SSD and HDD as the index, everything is checked but it isn't looking for everything

McSweg, Sep 1, 2017
  14. reddice Win User
    I agree. Cortana is 100% useless. I disable that ditz as soon as I install Windows 10 on all machines and install Everything and give it the Cortana icon *092

reddice, Sep 1, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    Stop using Cortona, index only indexes the files and folders for you to search through the File Explorer window, not Cortana. A suggestion was made above to try Everything Search, which you can find at majorgeeks.com.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I make Cortana search for files from HDD + SSD? - Similar Threads - Cortana search files

2. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...
  3. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...
  4. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do i transfer files from my HDD to my SSD?

How do i transfer files from my HDD to my SSD?: I bought a ssd and I need to know how i can transfer all my files from that hard drive to the ssd. I deleted enough apps to make sure my HDD has enough space to transfer all the downloads and files, etc, to my SSD. I also want to make it so windows boots off my SSD instead of...
  6. How do I transfer drivers from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I transfer drivers from HDD to SSD?: I’m currently running a hard disk as a main boot drive. I have all my drivers on it but I wanted to run an SSD for faster boot time and better performance. Is there a way to avoid driver hunting and just move all of my drivers on a boot SSD? submitted by /u/yagop1 [link]...
  7. How do i search with Cortana Effectivly?

in Cortana
    How do i search with Cortana Effectivly?: i just started utlizing cortana and im trying to understand how to search is force for specific files on my computer So let's say I was searching for a video file by its name. How do i get cortana to find it for me? becuse so far everytime im l;ooking for videos she gives...
  8. How do I permanetly move a file from the SSD to HDD?

How do I permanetly move a file from the SSD to HDD?: I just bought a new computer with both SSD and HDD. For some reason all screen captures are being saved directly to the C drive (SSD). I have moved the captures file from the C drive to the D drive (HDD), however anytime I take a new screen shot the image capture is still...
  9. How to transfer files from SSD to HDD?

How to transfer files from SSD to HDD?: I am currently using Acer Swift 3 Windows 10. This laptop has two storages which are SSD and HDD. Every time I download or transfer any files from my pen drives, the files will be saved in SSD. I do not know how to save in HDD. I want to save in HDD because it has larger...
  10. How do I make windows search, search in my SSD and HARD DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make windows search, search in my SSD and HARD DRIVE?: I don't want to use a 3rd party software that's a program. I don't mind if the 3rd party software replaces my search bar but I want to make my search bar use my HDD and my SSD. My Windows 10 is in my SSD and let me show you [img] [img] [img] like i added my...