Windows 10: How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder?

Discus and support How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the left folder tree panel in File Explorer, there are root folders including Quick Access, OneDrive, This PC, etc. Under This PC, there are several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KyleDelaney, Apr 15, 2017.

1. How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder?

In the left folder tree panel in File Explorer, there are root folders including Quick Access, OneDrive, This PC, etc. Under This PC, there are several folders like Downloads and Music which refer to local directories as expected. But This PC > Documents refers to OneDrive/Documents. This is inconsistent and surprising, and can very easily screw me up. Is there a way to correct this so that the folders under This PC are all local?

If the solution is to change the location in the folder's properties, I get this error when I try that.

How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder? [​IMG]

:)

KyleDelaney, Apr 15, 2017
  2. Erin_913 Win User

How do I remap the "documents" folder under "this pc"?

I have removed OneDrive from my computer as it was causing storage locations issues and I didn't like it. Now I want to remap the "documents" folder under "this PC" to my user document folder, but don't have the option to change the folder location. How
    do I do this in Windows 10?

Erin_913, Apr 15, 2017
  3. How do I remap the "documents" folder under "this pc"?

Run Restore_Documents_Default_Location.bat from
    here

RobertJWin, Apr 15, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder?

Brink, Apr 15, 2017
  5. Thank you, Brink. My OneDrive autosave settings are already set to this PC only. I still cannot move the folder.

I see in that thread that AnubhavArun seems to be having the same problem as me.

I should add that in File Explorer both the This PC area and the Kyle Delaney area link only to my OneDrive Documents and Pictures and not my local Documents and Pictures.

KyleDelaney, Apr 16, 2017
  6. I have this same problem. Did you find a solution?

Durangoforcards, Jun 18, 2017
  7. I didn't. Right now I'm just working around it. I've renamed Document and Pictures to "OneDrive Documents" and "OneDrive Pictures" so I don't get confused, but their names get reset sometimes and I don't know what triggers it.

KyleDelaney, Jun 18, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 18, 2017
  9. The Documents doesn't display the Location tab:

Pictures shows the Location Tab

But after step 6 in the instructions, I get the following message:

When I reply yes, I get the following message:

This is all using the Pictures folder. There is no option to change the Documents folder

Thank you for the help

Durangoforcards, Jun 19, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Those are your OneDrive folders, and not your user folders. It's a good thing you didn't move the folder.

Go ahead and post a screenshot showing where you see these folders at to see what may be happening.

Brink, Jun 19, 2017
  11. The screen shot I sent is from File Explorer, I right clicked on the Documents and Pictures under This PC in the dashboard and chose displayed Properties to show the OneDrive folder.

If I choose Documents This PC under Frequent folders, it shows Documents on my c drive:

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You have "Quick access" opened in File Explorer instead of "This PC". "This PC" under those folders just indicate that they are are stored on "This PC" in their default "C:\Users\tomst" location.

What location did you have open that contained Documents and Pictures in your OneDrive folder from post #7 above?

Brink, Jun 19, 2017
  13. pepanee Win User

Hey Durangoforcards, I noticed that you use under-dashes for "colons" and "slashes" in the naming of your files in File Explorer (because File Explorer cannot accept the colon ":" nor the slash "/").

I use colons and slashes in my file names by using the alternate Unicode version of those characters. You can try it out if you want (copy-paste the following Unicode characters to your file name in File Explorer. It actually works)

For the colon, you can use ։
    For the slash, you can use ⧸

pepanee, Jun 19, 2017
  14. Brink,

All of the other screenshots I showed are from the dashboard using "This PC".

Thanks for your help. I am considering doing a reset of Windows 10. I know this problem originated because I specified OneDrive as my default in the configuration. Even though I have changed this designation, File Explorer still uses the original setting.

15. pepanee,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it

Thema:

1. How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder? - Similar Threads - “Documents” under refer

2. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  3. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  4. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. how do I make a make a local documents folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I make a make a local documents folder?: All documents I save to my PC automatically gets added to an online documents folder that takes of space in my onedrive. I would rather like to save them locally on my pc and not to my onedrive. How do I set up a local documents folder?...
  6. how do I make a make a local documents folder?

how do I make a make a local documents folder?: All documents I save to my PC automatically gets added to an online documents folder that takes of space in my onedrive. I would rather like to save them locally on my pc and not to my onedrive. How do I set up a local documents folder?...
  7. WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS: I would like to get the DOCUMENTS folder OUT OF ONE DRIVE where it has gone with the latest update.why does MS do these things?Can someone help please in putting the DOCUMENTS back under PC & not ONE DRIVE?thanksLesley...
  8. WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS

WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS: I would like to get the DOCUMENTS folder OUT OF ONE DRIVE where it has gone with the latest update.why does MS do these things?Can someone help please in putting the DOCUMENTS back under PC & not ONE DRIVE?thanksLesley...
  9. How do I change one of the 2 Documents Folders under This PC to Videos

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change one of the 2 Documents Folders under This PC to Videos: I was moving my libraries to different drives and made a mistake with my Videos folder, and now I have two Documents folders under 'This PC'. The folder that used to be my videos folder is now called Documents and directs me to the same folder as the original Documents...
  10. Duplicate Documents folder Under This Pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Documents folder Under This Pc: Hey all Version 1511 installed. Other fixes don't work. I tried removing documents from this pc with the reg file. Also didn't work. With time, number of documents folders increase. The folders go away when clicked into another folder or a new explorer window opened....