Windows 10: How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?

Discus and support How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have just got a 120gb SSD and i put it in my laptop along with my 1tb SSHD and my 32gb Mssd. now i would like to have this as my final output... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by xdarkmario, Apr 17, 2017.

1. How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?

I have just got a 120gb SSD and i put it in my laptop along with my 1tb SSHD and my 32gb Mssd.
    now i would like to have this as my final output

120gb SSD holding ONLY windows files/installation and possible some small apps (bootable)

and my large 1TB for everything else (non bootable) used for raw storage, Games, data, apps/programs

i keep reading things on google that people can do this but whenever i try even with the same software i get things like "the destination drive is smaller then the source drive")

can i achieve this?

:)

xdarkmario, Apr 17, 2017
  2. DennisPA Win User

Windows 10 Home update (with SSD) to Windows 10 Home version 1511, 10586

From what I have read the answer is to expand the partition since it's to small, however the software I have seen will only do that if there id free space next to the partition and this isn't the case.

So the answer which does work, is to get the original HDD and clone the SDD onto the HDD (note samsung software won't do this) and then upgrade on the HDD and then migrate back.

DennisPA, Apr 17, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Hard drive failing - What can I do to transfer/ clone my drive?

You can clone your Windows from drive to drive with no problems .

You do need enough space on your HDD drive to create a free space as large as your Windows C:\ drive

for the clone. The cloning tool will create the partition in the free space.

- Make sure the HDD gets a good defrag/optimise after doing the clone.

Note that you have been running Windows on an SSD for a long time that Windows will be
    very slow loading from HDD.

I only really appreciated how much an SSD helps after cloning my Windows to a HDD for backup.

- Macrium Reflect is highly regarded.

AOEMI Partition assistant is another good free tool ( they use the term Migrate vs clone/image )

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

- If you really want to be safe make two clones, if possible. Should lightning strike twice....

BossDweeb, Apr 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?

Read this thread right next to yours:
    How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive? - - Windows 10 Forums

Your answers are in posts #8 and #10

Now, though, if the original source partition has more space used on it than the target SSD will hold, you will need to move some stuff off the source partition to get the used space down to less than the capacity you have left on the SSD after you copy over the system and recovery partitions (copying over the recovery partition is optional).

NavyLCDR, Apr 17, 2017
  5. I have about 857gb used out if my 1tb

xdarkmario, Apr 17, 2017
  6. and as i said ALL apps just says the destination drive is smaller then the source drive

xdarkmario, Apr 17, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 17, 2017
  8. How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?

I was maybe expecting to selectively move just the windows critical files.
    My Windows is setup in a complicated way with a series of systemlinks.

xdarkmario, Apr 17, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Again, it all depends on what is in which partitions. You can only clone a partition with less than about 90 GB used space to a 120 GB SSD and still have room for a system partition and recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, Apr 17, 2017
  10. My data And system partition seems to be together

xdarkmario, Apr 17, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Probably your best bet, then, is going to be a clean install of Windows to the new SSD.

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2017
  12. Well I have used systemlinks to fix a lot of issues in Windows before so perhaps going full systemlinks and redirecting paths on a dirty install on the SSD may work?

xdarkmario, Apr 18, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

But how do you propose to get Windows installed onto the SSD?

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD? - Similar Threads - Migrate partition large

2. Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD: Hi all,I need to replace my current C drive SSD too small with a larger SSD. Windows updates are resource pigs and I'm almost out of space. I've read several articles and it seems it either takes two or three simple steps using the free Macrium Clone function or the Windows...
  3. Migrating to SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating to SSD from HDD: Hello there, A few years back, I purchased a Lenovo Y470 Laptop with a preinstalled Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition which was then updated to Windows 10 Home Edition. Now, my laptop has gotten very low in speed and I want to replace the HDD with an SSD drive keeping both...
  4. Migrating from HDD to SSD

Migrating from HDD to SSD: How to check if i have completely migrated from my HDD to SSD. I actually have done it about a year back. The laptop is running fine. BUt i cannot access my bios. Also cannot create recovery disc. Finally can i delete old windows files taking up space in my HDD....
  5. How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD

How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD: My new Windows 10 v. Home 1909 desktop has a 128 GB SSD (C drive) and a 1TB internal HDD (D drive). If I understand correctly the OS pc boots in the SSD and all current Programs and Programs (x86) files are in the C drive. The C drive is already more than half full and I have...
  6. How to migrate from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to migrate from HDD to SSD: So I reinstalled Windows on my new SSD and I'm looking fora way to use all my apps installed on my old HDD on my new SSD without reinstalling them. I thought of symlinks but I couldn't get them to work right. What's the best way to use UWP and program data already installed...
  7. Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Migrating from Hdd to ssd: Migrating from Hdd to ssd Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software...
  8. Migrating from HDd to ssd

Migrating from HDd to ssd: Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-from-hdd-to-ssd/c2565ea0-ce8a-44b6-a828-e7cdbffa73f6
  9. Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:)

Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:): I just got a new PC with the following setup: Drive C: is a 128 GB SSD and Drive D: is a 2 TB HDD. Even though I have not installed any programs (like MS Office Pro), C: only has 61.7 FB free of 117 GB. I'm totally scared of what will happen if I start installing...
  10. Migration from hdd to ssd

Migration from hdd to ssd: Windows 10 is currently on a 1.5 Tb hdd that is almost full. I want to purchase an ssd to use as the boot/system drive. I do not want to shell out for a large sdd. I do not want to do a fresh install of windows unless I can save all of my settings and not have to reinstall...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to convert larger hdd windows to ssd

2. How do I (only) migrate Windows from a 1TB HDD/SSD to a smaller SSD?