Windows 10: How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Discus and support How do I move my operating system to a SSD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So hey guys I am looking forward to replace my laptop HDD with a SSD. My laptop is the Toshiba Satellite l70 pro 17.3". I have a basic idea of doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015.

1. How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

So hey guys I am looking forward to replace my laptop HDD with a SSD. My laptop is the Toshiba Satellite l70 pro 17.3". I have a basic idea of doing transferring windows 8 to an SSD but apparently it is harder to transfer Windows 10 to a SSD when compared to Windows 8 and 7. So can someone please help me as of how do i do this, i would really appreciate your help *Smile

:)

sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015

2. How do I move my entire operating system from my SSD to my 1TB Drive?

Original title: SSD FULL PRIMARY

How do I move my entire operating system from my SSD to my 1TB Drive?

Pilotpopper, Aug 26, 2015
  3. How do I move my entire operating system from my SSD to my 1TB Drive?

Hello,

We realize that you need assistance with migrating OS from one SSD to another drive. We will certainly help you.

From one SSD to another driver you need to clone the OS using third part application or software or you can create system image back up and use it. Kindly follow the article below on System image back up:

Back up and restore your PC

Also follow the suggestion posted by Andre Da Costa in the below link and check if it helps:

From one hard drive to another

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 26, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Hi

Personally I use Paragon software for all disk management and backup tasks, but it is not free. I know a few people who swear by MiniTool Partition Wizard for this type of task. See below for the product link and instructions for SSD transfer

MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition 9.1

Tutorial - Transfer Windows 10 to SSD with MiniTool Partition Wizard

Please read my sig with regard to backups. If you don't do a backup first and it all it goes wrong...well...you'd only have yourself to blame if you didn't backup first.

Good luck!

WhyMe, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Thank you very much !

sondawg18401, Aug 26, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    Also I have heard good reports about this program:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/tech...ate-OS-to-SSD/
    You need to take disk and partition size into consideration if you're moving from a larger HD to a smaller capacity SSD and not all cloning or copying software can deal with it properly. Apparently the above program can, but I have not used it myself. It costs about $20 but worth it if it will do the job properly. As always, make sure you have a good backup of your user data beforehand.

Kanata, Aug 26, 2015
  7. If you want the best results, upgrade your system to Windows 10 first, after backing up your data. Once 10 is installed an activated, pull the old drive and do a clean install of Windows 10. Not only will the OS be installed properly for an SSD (because it is detected during the install process), but you will have the cleanest, most efficient Windows 10 install with the latest drivers.

DeaconFrost, Aug 26, 2015
  8. ramram55 Win User

Macrium is another good cloning tool free and easy to use. Agreed fully with DeaconFrost backup your HD before and after the install.

ramram55, Aug 26, 2015
  9. lvgandhi Win User
    lvgandhi, Aug 26, 2015
  10. Steve C Win User
    See my guide at Eight Forums http://www.eightforums.com/installat...s-hdd-ssd.html

The guide really applies to a desktop PC with 2 drives. For a laptop, you would need to image your system to an external drive, install the new SSD then boot to the Macrium Reflect Recovery disc to restore the image to your SSD.

I don't understand the mention of MiniTool Partition Wizard in Post 2 - that's for managing your disk partitions, not backup/imaging.

I would backup your current system first (using Macrium Reflect Free?), do the W10 upgrade and then do the SSD transfer. You''ll have 2 system backups so you will be covered whatever happens!

Steve C, Aug 26, 2015
  11. I used a Samsung 840 EVO (for Laptop PC Upgrade) which came with a simple connector to attach between the SSD data/power connectors & the USB port on the laptop. The supplied software worked flawlessly to transfer the OS across to the SSD.

WightWalker, Aug 26, 2015
  12. WhyMe Win User
    Please read my post #2 properly. If you click on the second link in my post and read the tutorial in its entirety, you will see the following within the intro:

Now do you see? *Smile

WhyMe, Aug 26, 2015
  13. acmanten Win User

Whyme and Steve. Thanks for all the info you have posted about init'g a new SSD drive.
    tks.. be safe.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 26, 2015
  14. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    I have just bought a Samsung 850 EVO thinking I could use the provided Data/System migration Software - HOWEVER it seems this does NOT work with Windows 10!

15. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    I checked this out - YES it is cheap But you should take note of this:

Note!

- Migrate OS to SSD only transfers partitions that contain the chosen Windows OS and system boot critical files. If you need to migrate your entire system, including all system and data partitions, please use Paragon Drive Copy.

- Dynamic discs are not supported.

In my case this is not what I want since I do not just want a Copy of System but of the whole data - which would mean I have to buy the Paragon Drive Copy 15 Professional at 39.99 $

Thema:

1. How do I move my operating system to a SSD. - Similar Threads - move operating system

2. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  3. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  4. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  5. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  6. How do I change the operating system font?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the operating system font?: I want to change the pc font to the unone Pokémon font. I'm having struggles finding it. I have the font downloaded as well, I thought it would be in languages but I still can't find it......
  7. How do I disable Choose Operating System

How do I disable Choose Operating System: Hi,I reset my PC using Windows Media Tool.Now every time I restart my PC from a local account or Microsoft account, I am prompted to choose between Windows 10 Volume 2 or Volume 5.How do I stop that and always boot from Volume 2?Thanks in advanced for any help,...
  8. How do move windows to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do move windows to my SSD?: I do not have a Samsung SSD so I can't use their data migration tool submitted by /u/SmollBollBob [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i95p6j/how_do_move_windows_to_my_ssd/
  9. Moving operating system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving operating system: I have a 500 gig drive that is nearly full, i want to clone the drive onto a bigger m.2 ssd. thats simple enough, i want to seperate the the operating system from the files and programs so i can have the os on one drive and programs on another, ( deleting the os off the...
  10. Operating System not found, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating System not found, SSD: Been searching for an answer for some time, but have an issue still not resolved. My son's PC is a self built PC, upgraded to Windows 10 when Win 10 came out. No issues until recently, when the PC started freezing at odd times (night, sleeping, browser on and just sitting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i move my operating system to my ssd

2. copy my operating system and paste it into my ssd?