Windows 10: How do I move tiles in the start menu?

Discus and support How do I move tiles in the start menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Drag and drop doesn't do anything, the tile just disappears an reappears when I release the mouse. 21577 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mike177, Sep 6, 2015.

1. mike177 Win User

How do I move tiles in the start menu?

Drag and drop doesn't do anything, the tile just disappears an reappears when I release the mouse.

:)

mike177, Sep 6, 2015

2. I can't move tiles around in the start menu. I can pin applications to the start menu / tiles but dragging them around no longer works

I can't move tiles around anymore in the start menu. I can pin applications to the start menu / tiles but dragging them around no longer works

medhatnassef, Sep 6, 2015
  3. I can't move tiles around in the start menu. I can pin applications to the start menu / tiles but dragging them around no longer works

Hi,

See if this registry fix (removes all Personalize Policies) helps. Ignore the title.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/personalize-some-settings-managed-organization/

(Logoff and login back after applying the registry edit)

Lost "Pin to Start Screen" and other options, can't drag - Microsoft Community

Lost "Pin to Start Screen" and other options, can't drag icon to Start

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 6, 2015
  4. CmmTch Win User

Hi Mike177, welcome to tenforums.

I moved mine around without problem right after I installed W10. Removed most tiles, I just have three remaining, weather, news, and sports.

I'm not exactly sure what "live tile" does but I just checked (right click on the tile) and the three tiles I have, all have it turned on. Also tried moving them, put the bottom tile above the second from the top and they changed spots and stayed in their new locations on the start menu.

You say yours disappear? Mine change to subdued when I left click then change to active (not subdued) when I release the mouse button. Might check to see live tile is turned on, if not turn it on and see if anything changes.

CmmTch, Sep 6, 2015
  5. mike177 Win User
    Here is a video of my problem.

mike177, Sep 6, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    What is that yellow circle around the cursor ? Any special customizing ?

CountMike, Sep 6, 2015
  7. mike177 Win User
    No, that's from the recording software.

mike177, Sep 6, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

What Build are you using?
    That looks like the 'ghosting' bug that was in one of the earlier Builds.

Edwin, Sep 6, 2015
  9. mike177 Win User
    I am using Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from Windows 8.1. winver.exe tells me I'm using build number 10240

mike177, Sep 6, 2015
  10. CmmTch Win User
    What happens when you right clicked on the tile and choose "turn live tile on" or are they set to "on" already?

How do I move tiles in the start menu? [​IMG]

CmmTch, Sep 6, 2015
  11. mike177 Win User
    The same thing happens whether I have them all on or off

mike177, Sep 6, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    Some things to try:
    - check for updates including "Give me updates for other Microsoft products......"
    - unpin all tiles, reboot then re-pin
    - 'show windows contents while dragging', (a stab in the dark!)

Edwin, Sep 6, 2015
  13. CmmTch Win User

CmmTch, Sep 6, 2015
  14. CmmTch Win User
    CmmTch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I move tiles in the start menu? - Similar Threads - move tiles start

2. Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own: Every now and then I open my start menu and folders such as the ones labeled I, W and V below have moved far below where I put them. Sometimes they end up overlapping. I wondered if I just somehow moved them by accident I'm pretty sure I didn't and other strange things happen...
  3. Cannot move random start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move random start menu tiles: I have certain start menu tiles, regardless of size, that can be displaced by other tiles, but if you try to move them anywhere on their own, they just snap back into their original position. This condition has existed for me I would say years now. As in the past, the only...
  4. How do I remove the margin from the tiles in start menu.

How do I remove the margin from the tiles in start menu.: Is there a way to remove the margin, the gaps, between the tiles in the start menu? [img] Right now my start menu looks like this, but I want to remove the gap between the squares to make it look like a white sheet with icons on it. I cannot find a setting for this in the...
  5. How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu?

How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu?: I would like to add web links and apps in an easy-to-find section of the start like I had on the windows 7 desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/how-to-move-and-group-tiles-on-windows-10-start/0ba2f967-c223-4902-9ae8-ea3a33469ab4
  6. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  7. Cannot move start menu tiles

Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move the tiles on the start menu. As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location when I reboot. Everything else seems to work with them, I can pin new apps (although I haven't worked out how to get them in...
  8. How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile.: I'm totally befuddled. I have a program I run from a .exe that is in Programs(X86) file. I can put a shortcut on the Desktop. But the icon does not show in All Apps and I cannot figure out a way to a) get in the All Apps, and b) create a tile on the Start page. It seems...
  9. Cannot move start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10 v1703 93199
  10. Moving tiles to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving tiles to start menu: Is it possible to move a tile to the taskbar or the start menu. 27437