Windows 10: How do I open a pdf file from within Edge without saving it first?

Discus and support How do I open a pdf file from within Edge without saving it first? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have Edge as my default browser. I have Foxit reader as my default pdf reader. When I click on a pdf within Edge, I have a choice to save or save as.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Alicia J, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Alicia J Win User

How do I open a pdf file from within Edge without saving it first?

I have Edge as my default browser. I have Foxit reader as my default pdf reader. When I click on a pdf within Edge, I have a choice to save or save as. If I choose one of these options I can open the pdf in Foxit from my desktop. How do I get the option to open the pdf without first saving it?

:)

Alicia J, Mar 24, 2017

2. How to save a displayed pdf file in Microsoft Edge?

no... what is typical is people calling foul without understanding the problem. The problem described was not how to click a link to a PDF file and save it... the problem described was how to save a PDF file that was opened in the browser. The described
    method for saving an opened PDF document works perfect. If you are trying to save the PDF file from the link to the file without opening it, well that's going to be an issue, as that functionality was removed from Microsoft edge fore security purposes (it
    is common for viruses and malware to list themselves as PDFs, and then when you save it to your hard drive and opened it later, it would run as an EXE, or would run as a PDF, but have code to open another URL and install an app... same goes for some WMV and
    AVI files though the media player)... I am sure there will be some add-on to add it back or add a button to download all videos, pictures, or pdfs that is made available soon enough for those that like living on the edge ;-)

MaryHockenberry, Mar 24, 2017
  3. PablitoD Win User
    How do I disable Edge's built-in PDF viewer?

I'm browsing in Edge (on Windows 10 Pro, desktop) and click on a link to a PDF file. Currently, Edge displays the PDF within the browser, using a built-in viewer.

I want to be able to configure Edge to always open the PDF in the default application for PDFs (which is currently Adobe Reader DC on my PC) - i.e. in an external application, not using Edge's built-in PDF viewer.

How do I configure Edge to do this? (I can't see a way in settings or advanced settings.)

I know there's a workaround to right-click on the link, save the file, go to File Explorer, find the file and then open the file. But that's tedious.

Thanks,

P

PablitoD, Mar 24, 2017
  4. Phone Man Win User

Edge will read a pdf file inside the browser. You will need to change the default read program from Foxit to Edge.
    If you have a saved pdf you then can use Open With and select Foxit.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Mar 24, 2017
  5. Alicia J Win User
    Okay thanks Jim. I was hoping there was a way to do it without making Edge the default PDF reader.

Alicia J, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I open a pdf file from within Edge without saving it first? - Similar Threads - open pdf file

2. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  3. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  4. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  5. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  6. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  8. Can't open files without saving them first in new Chromium-based Edge Browser

Can't open files without saving them first in new Chromium-based Edge Browser: "Upgrading" to the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge removes the option to open files without saving them first. The old Edge understood the overwhelming customer demand through a feature request campaign and acquiesced by giving us the preferred "Open, Save, Save As" dialog,...
  9. I can't open files in Edge without saving them first

I can't open files in Edge without saving them first: LeighAskin, I'm having the same issue you are. Earlier this month, I upgraded my computer to a SSD and the new Microsoft Edge was installed and now I can not open ANY documents without saving them first. I just got off the phone with Microsoft call center and they weren't...
  10. How can I disable Edge from opening .pdf files?

in Browsers and Email
    How can I disable Edge from opening .pdf files?: As the title says, how can I disable edge from opening .pdf files and use Adobe reader instead? I have set Adobe as the default program to open .pdf files, but edge is still trying to open them, sometimes without success. Thanks Sven 43846

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can I open a document with Nuance without saving it

2. edge open files without saving