Windows 10: How do I open a VHDX file?

Discus and support How do I open a VHDX file? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Using Windows 10-64 and Windows backup and restore. I want to view a file that must be contained in a recent backup. I see the apparent backup files as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by lbeck, Sep 21, 2015.

1. lbeck Win User

How do I open a VHDX file?

Using Windows 10-64 and Windows backup and restore. I want to view a file that must be contained in a recent backup. I see the apparent backup files as vhdx. I right click to mount the virtual HD and get an error message as shown in the screenshot.

How do I extract a single file from a backup?

How do I open a VHDX file? [​IMG]

:)

lbeck, Sep 21, 2015

2. Unable to see personal files in full system image backup ?

System Image Backups are stored as .vhdx files which you need to mount and assign a drive-letter in order to browse it.

Right-click on a .VHDX file and choose Mount. If you get an error, then open Disk Management, and Attach the VHD (if it doesn't already appear there), and assign drive letter.

You should now be able to browse the contents of your System Image Backups.

The .VHDX files would be located here, in your case:

D:\WindowsImageBackup\<computer name>\Backup <datestamp>\filename1.vhdx

D:\WindowsImageBackup\<computer name>\Backup <datestamp>\filename2.vhdx

etc.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 21, 2015
  3. How would I completely restore from a .vhdx (or .vhd, i converted them) (I used the system image tool) with an image made in Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview Build 10240?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to refer to the information given by Mouneshwar R in the below given link and check if it helps:

How to restore VHD file backup?

Note: The steps in above link are for Windows 7 but it works as good in Windows 10 too.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Sep 21, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Open Disk Management->Action-> Attach VHD and navigate to the .VHDX file. then assign a letter to it.

topgundcp, Sep 21, 2015
  5. lbeck Win User
    I try to mount the vhdx and get a message that it's already attached. How do I locate the individual file from the apparently attached vhdx virtual drive? Clicking on the vhdx file presents the error noted in my first post here.

Thanks for your help.

lbeck, Sep 21, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    Right click the two Blue drives and assign drive letter

those are the drive image partitions within the VHD

7. lbeck Win User
    But it's a non-blue drive, drive G Seagate Backup, that contains the backed-up files. Right clicking on that does allow me to change the drive letter if I click through a couple of warnings. But what do I do with the same drive that will presumably still contain the VHDX files that I don't know how to open? Will they then open with with file explorer simply because the drive letter is changed?

Also, if I change the drive letter I presume that I'll then need to go back and reconfigure BU/Restore to find the target for future backups.

Thanks

lbeck, Sep 21, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

You want to assign letters to disk 6 and 7 (cyan color) not disk 5

topgundcp, Sep 21, 2015
  9. lbeck Win User
    Okay. So I assume that the newly created drive letter contains the archived version of the disk with the backed up files?

This is different from Windows 7, but I think I can work with it.

lbeck, Sep 21, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Drive 6 is not your boot C: Drive but it is a virtual drive that you attach from the .vhdx file and currently hidden. You need to assign a letter so you can browse thru it. The same for Disk 7

topgundcp, Sep 21, 2015
  11. lbeck Win User
    First - sorry for the edit to the #7 post that you probably read before my edits.

Thanks for hanging with me on this. It's a little different from what I'm used to. I'm marking this as solved and will repost if I get totally lost.

lbeck, Sep 21, 2015
  12. topgundcp Win User
    It is always the same as Windows 7.

topgundcp, Sep 21, 2015
  13. lbeck Win User

Okay. Maybe I was remembering Acronis or Windows Vista that I upgraded from about a year ago. Fortunately, I haven't needed to recover a file in a while. But I've never gone through the drive renaming to get to archived files before. Not challenging your point - just explaining....*Smile

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I open a VHDX file? - Similar Threads - open VHDX file

2. How do I recover files from vhdx?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover files from vhdx?: I am new to the topic of virtual machines so please bare with me.I was playing around with VMs when I accidentally deleted it. I am now left with a backup vhdx file. I tried...1 importing the vhdx into a new VM, but it would not boot properly2 mounting it, but it is giving me...
  3. How do I recover files from vhdx?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I recover files from vhdx?: I am new to the topic of virtual machines so please bare with me.I was playing around with VMs when I accidentally deleted it. I am now left with a backup vhdx file. I tried...1 importing the vhdx into a new VM, but it would not boot properly2 mounting it, but it is giving me...
  4. How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]VMDK, VHDX, and VHD are file formats of Virtual drives. They are unique and unlike other files, you can not just double-click on them to open the file. This is a complete guide on how to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10. What are VMDK, VHDX, and VHD files?...
  5. How do I fix "Open With" Files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix "Open With" Files?: Hello! So I'm trying to download some games from Game Jolt and then when I try to open the files its just a "open with file". I use Opera GX but I don't think that makes any difference. My question is, how to I make it a file folder or compressed folder so I can open the game...
  6. I cannot mount VHDX File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot mount VHDX File: I've created an image file with Windows Backup on an external drive. When I right-click on the file and try "Mount", I get "Couldn't mount file" and a long statement about initializing, partitions, etc.Using disk management does not help either. I'm able to attach the file,...
  7. ISO or VHDX image file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ISO or VHDX image file: I am a iMac User running Sur. To use an app name3d Parallels to run a Windows 10 environment, I need to download a ISO or VHDX image file but cannot find it anywhere. Can you please point me in the nright direction?The message I receive during the Parallels installation is:...
  8. Open .vhdx file after recovery from Onedrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Open .vhdx file after recovery from Onedrive: once I was deleted all files from my one drive through cell phone, and also clear the recycle bin. after sometimes, I needed the deleted files but there was no way to recover the. So by using a data recovery software I have recovered C Drive of may laptop and explored the...
  9. how to Boot into a vhdx file

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    how to Boot into a vhdx file: Hi I have created a VHDX file attached it and cloned a copy of widows onto it ( which includes the boot sector)? What I want to do is add this to my boot menu and see if it works. I've read lots of tutorials but they mostly concentrate on making the VHDX file. I am a bit...
  10. How do I open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I open this file?: [img] I'm not computer savvy and I'm trying to download a mod for Sims 3. I finally extracted the zipped file and what appears next to it is an internet explorer icon. I double clicked on it and it opened up my download manager window like in the picture. Except when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open a vhdx file in win 10

2. open a VHDX file?

3. open vhdx file