Windows 10: How do I open zip files in Windows 10? Do I need to install Winzip?

Discus and support How do I open zip files in Windows 10? Do I need to install Winzip? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have spent a frustrating half-hour trying to download and open a zip file containing an electronics service manual without success. As stated in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikegee01, Mar 9, 2016.

1. mikegee01 Win User

How do I open zip files in Windows 10? Do I need to install Winzip?

I have spent a frustrating half-hour trying to download and open a zip file containing an electronics service manual without success. As stated in title, I don't have Winzip, but understand that such files can be opened without this program, yet all I get is a drop-down menu, whic either states 'Open with...browse', or Open With one of several stated options, none of which will open the zipped file. What do I do??

:)

mikegee01, Mar 9, 2016

2. How do I zip files in Windows 10 Pro

I have windows 10 Pro and cant figure out how to get permission to zip files. If I click on a file to share and hit zip an error comes up saying access denied. Unable to complete operation.

PennyClaiborne, Mar 9, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Mar 9, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Simply double click / tap the ZIP file and select Extract all:

How do I open zip files in Windows 10?  Do I need to install Winzip? [​IMG]

Select where you want to ZIP file to be extracted, select Extract:

That's it.

Kari, Mar 9, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Right click works too:

For programs, it's recommended to open properties of the file first, check "Unblock" then extract.

Cliff S, Mar 9, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    A Zip file (with a .zip file extension) will open natively in Windows File Explorer just like a normal folder, where you can open files, drag and drop files and as mentioned by other posters you can also right-click the Zip file and go to 'Extract All' to put all the files in that zip folder into a normal unzipped folder.

However, sometimes other types of compressed archive file formats are also called 'Zip' files, despite not being a .zip file. Those will have something like .rar or .7z file extensions. To open these types of file extensions then you will need third-party software such as 7-zip. Obviously, be cautious that the electronics service manual is from a trustworthy source and not someone trying to trick you into downloading and running a malicious file.

ARC1020, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I open zip files in Windows 10? Do I need to install Winzip? - Similar Threads - open zip files

2. How do I delete files that are zipped?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete files that are zipped?: Hi Microsoft,I wanted to download a free game from Google Chrome. The downloading instructions were unclear to me so I think I messed up something. I had to download a preinstalled game as a file then a .zip file and I also needed another app called 7-zip to extract the file....
  3. How do I delete files that are zipped?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete files that are zipped?: Hi Microsoft,I wanted to download a free game from Google Chrome. The downloading instructions were unclear to me so I think I messed up something. I had to download a preinstalled game as a file then a .zip file and I also needed another app called 7-zip to extract the file....
  4. How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10: I right click on the archive and select properties and then click advanced - there is NO option for encryption.Do I have to install a 3rd party package like WinRar or WinZip?...
  5. How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10

How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10: I right click on the archive and select properties and then click advanced - there is NO option for encryption.Do I have to install a 3rd party package like WinRar or WinZip?...
  6. How do I add a password to a Zip file in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. How do i locate and then open a Zipped File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i locate and then open a Zipped File: How do I locate and then open a Zipped file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-locate-and-then-open-a-zipped-file/568a9251-6639-4a2e-834d-22a985e8084d"
  8. do win10 need install winzip?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    do win10 need install winzip?: do win10 need install winzip? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-win10-need-install-winzip/470fbf3b-389b-4ec9-9d2c-11f6304a800d"
  9. ZIP file opens with WinZIP and windows reacts

ZIP file opens with WinZIP and windows reacts: Every time I open a ZIP file - it opens with WinZIP - I get a number of these notification popups An app default was reset An app caused a problem with the default app settings for .htm files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge. It doesn't matter what is in the zip...
  10. How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I install this recovery zip file on my laptop?: The laptop that I’m using right now needs to have Windows 10 reinstalled. So the situation is this, my Windows 10 was having issues, so I clean installed windows 10 using the recovery in the hard drive, but the recovery img was literally just windows 10 without any of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do i need winzip with windows 10

2. unzip files windows 10