Windows 10: How do I place a SLEEP shortcut on Windows 10 desktop

Discus and support How do I place a SLEEP shortcut on Windows 10 desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am new to this forum and new to Windows 10. I am trying to place a shortcut on the desktop to put the computer to sleep. I tried following the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by spierce, Mar 4, 2016.

1. spierce Win User

How do I place a SLEEP shortcut on Windows 10 desktop

I am new to this forum and new to Windows 10. I am trying to place a shortcut on the desktop to put the computer to sleep. I tried following the instructions from a few sites that recommended placing a link into the desktop shortcut menu and the suggested shortcut Command does not put the computer to sleep. instead it shuts the computer down. Can someone give me the Sleep command. thank you.
    The wrong command is as follows: Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep
    I tried one or 2 other variations of this command and the new shortcut also turned over the computer

:)

spierce, Mar 4, 2016

2. ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

How to get, create a shortcut into the desktop to sleep, shutdown or restart Windows (10) ?

MARCEL SAUCIER, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Mrlas Win User
    how to create a hibernate shortcut on my desktop in Windows 10

My bad, I have never tried to place a SLEEP shortcut on my desktop.

Mrlas, Mar 4, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Mar 4, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have just tried the method.
    It is true that it shuts down.
    However, pressing the Power button brought me back to my desktop without signing in. Although it took a bit longer to do that than in normal sleep mode.

davidhk, Mar 4, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    I'm pretty sure SLEEP, in the classic sense, has been eliminated from RunMode, 'breaks' too many things.

I believe %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Standby
    will do the same as 'Sleep' in the Power Menu.

Edwin, Mar 4, 2016
  7. spierce Win User
    I tried the "Command" you suggested below and it had the same effect as the other commands I tried. That is it had the effect of turning off the computer completely. So still no luck.

spierce, Mar 4, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

If you went to the link I posted you need to turn hibernation off(and keep it off), or create a batch file, something like:

Code: @echo off powercfg -h off rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 powercfg -h on[/quote] Then send to desktop to create your shortcut.
    Here is an icon you can use for the shortcut if you want:

Sleep icon.zip

What it looks like:

How do I place a  SLEEP shortcut on  Windows 10 desktop [​IMG]

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  10. ricerom Win User
    Just to clarify, the command doesn't turn the computer off, it either hibernates or sleeps depending on whether hibernation is enabled or not. When I attempted to do this I originally wanted only sleep, but actually hibernation is not such a bad idea. It uses a nice chunk of disk space, but it doesn't use any energy.

ricerom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I place a SLEEP shortcut on Windows 10 desktop - Similar Threads - place SLEEP shortcut

2. How do I add This PC shortcut to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add This PC shortcut to desktop: How do I add This PC shortcut to desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-this-pc-shortcut-to-desktop/e5432d2e-e541-40f0-a154-2a57fd49801a
  3. How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?: I'm unable to delete a shortcut from Firefox and a website I was browsing. I've selected it and hit the "delete" key and right clicked to delete it. I tried moving it to Recycle Bin. I have started Windows in safe mode and tried to delete it and it still won't work. The...
  4. How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?: I'm unable to delete a shortcut from Firefox and a website I was browsing. I've selected it and hit the "delete" key and right clicked to delete it. I tried moving it to Recycle Bin. I have started Windows in safe mode and tried to delete it and it still won't work. The...
  5. How do I remove desktop shortcuts help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I remove desktop shortcuts help: HELP submitted by /u/sallaD_funi_man [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l3gv93/how_do_i_remove_desktop_shortcuts_help/
  6. Desktop shortcut for SLEEP function

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop shortcut for SLEEP function: I was able to create a SHUTDOWN and a RESTART desktop shortcut from system32 folder but I was not successful creating SLEEP. Can someone provide the address. Thank you....
  7. how do i create a desktop shortcut for an app in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i create a desktop shortcut for an app in windows 10?: I just installed "Best Calculator" onto my PC from the MS store, but I can't figure out how to put a shortcut on my desktop. The response to this question posted in 2015 is to drag the icon from the Start page to the Desktop, but I don't think there's any way to display...
  8. Windows 10 how to install applications without placing shortcut in Public Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 how to install applications without placing shortcut in Public Desktop: If I install an application (real application not an app) in Windows 10 with my administrator account, the shortcuts for this program to run will be placed in C:\users\Public\Public Desktop Our users dont have elevated rights so they cant delete any shortcut on the desktop...
  9. Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?: Hello, I have opened up a simple web page that I would like to save a Shortcut (or other Link to) so I can get to it very easily directly from my Desktop. The little icon to the left of the address seems to be a "lock", and I can't drag it anywhere. See: CubicSDR - The...
  10. How do I place a desktop tile on screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I place a desktop tile on screen in Windows 10: Windows 8.1 had a desktop tile in the start screen. Windows 10 does not appear to have it. Is there a way to get the desktop tile back in windows 10? 12029