Windows 10: How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade?

Discus and support How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I want to absolutely, positively prevent the Win 10 upgrade on my Win 7 machine. I have removed the KB3035583 update. And in doing so,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Budward, May 23, 2016.

1. Budward Win User

How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade?

Hi all,

I want to absolutely, positively prevent the Win 10 upgrade on my Win 7 machine.

I have removed the KB3035583 update. And in doing so, I'd guess it removed the /Windows/System32 folder containing GWX.exe, since neither the file nor the folder are there any more.

Is that all? Or, are there more steps I need to take.

At this point, I'm more worried that a future Windows Update will discover that I've uninstalled KB3035583 and reinstall it.

For what it's worth, I wasn't getting the upgrade notices before the uninstall. To tell the truth, I don't remember whether I might have taken some action to reject it months ago. Certainly not recently.

:)

Budward, May 23, 2016

2. How to block ads on Windows 10

how do I prevent adds on Win 10

ThomasPender, May 23, 2016
  3. How do I prevent Win 10 from adding any mouse drivers?

For some reason Win 10 will add a universal mouse driver when it starts up, but not

every time. When that happens I no longer have the use of my cordless mouse, because

this new driver is added at the top of the list of mouse drivers and it seems to be selected

instead of the mouse driver for my cordless mouse.

Is there some way to prevent Windows 10 from

warp4dennis_939, May 23, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Have a look at these 2 tutorials :

A). How to stop windows 7 or 8 from downloading windows 10
    http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-...automatically/
    The above tutorial includes 2 methods :
    1. Make Windows 10 Stop Downloading, the Easy Way
    If you want a really simple and easy way to get rid of the “Get Windows 10” icon and stop your PC from downloading Windows 10, you can download a little piece of freeware called Never10, from well-respected security researcher Steve Gibson.
    2. Make Windows 10 Stop Downloading, the Manual Way

B).Enable or Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows Update for Windows 7 and 8.1
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...s-7-8-1-a.html

davidhk, May 23, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User

This simple utility tool will tell you right away if the Windows 10 Upgrade option is enabled and also remove all parts of any download that might install. Can be run portably at any time to re-assure you that you have NO Win10 files AND that auto update is not enabled. Download at -

GRC/NEVER 10

How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade? [​IMG]

mrgeek, May 23, 2016
  6. Budward Win User
    The article at HowToGeek implies that Never10 is effective, but that a manual fix may or may not be. Does anyone know what specific actions Never10 takes? And why that article would cast doubt on the manual fix?

FYI - I'm a former IT pro, completely comfortable with editing the registry and other in-depth system tasks. So, I'm always a little wary of "black box" utilities that change my system.

Budward, May 23, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User

At the bottom of my link, click 'Additional Technical information' and (just some excerpts of full info) you'll find - What it does . . .
    Never10 manipulates the values and security permission settings of the following two registry keys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
      Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableGwx” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
      These will be referred to as the “Gwx” key and the “DisableGwx” value. This key and value control the display of the “Get Windows 10” offer icon in the system tray. When DisableGwx is set to 1, the upgrade offer icon is suppressed.
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
      Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableOSUpgrade” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
      These will be referred to as the “WindowsUpdate” key and the “DisableOSUpgrade” value. This key and value control the downloading and installation of any upgrades to Windows. When DisableOSUpgrade is set to 1, any previously downloaded Windows 10 files are deleted and Windows will never attempt to upgrade the current operating system.
    When Never10 disables automatic OS upgrading, the following actions are taken:
    • Under the Gwx key, which will be created if it doesn't yet exist, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableGwx” is created and set to 1.
    • Under the WindowsUpdate key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableOSUpgrade” is created and set to 1.

mrgeek, May 23, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

On the link I posted, near the end, there is the Additional Technical Information link.
    It tells you what you are asking.

davidhk, May 23, 2016
  9. Budward Win User
    Ah. Thanks, Mr. Geek and Davidhk

Budward, May 24, 2016
  10. Budward Win User
    OK, now I'm a bit puzzled. I downloaded Never10, started it, and it reported that the upgrade is enabled on my machine. I expected to find the upgrade enabled in my registry.

And yet, neither the GWX key nor the WindowsUpdate key are even present in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\

Budward, May 24, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    You cannot defer the upgrade to the newer OS. Just make sure that you back everything up, get a copy of your keys with Belarc Advisor and then do a Clean Install of Windows 10. The problems that we are seeing is people running third party Security suites and not up to date on their machines, or problems that have been neglected with drivers or failing hardware.

When they get the upgrade, it is automatically Microsoft's fault that it happened, instead of the user/owner making sure that their machine was ready.

bro67, May 24, 2016
  12. Budward Win User
    So, you're saying that Never10 doesn't work, that it will upgrade anyway?

Budward, May 24, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

So, did you click the “Disable Win10 Upgrade” button ?
    If your system has already downloaded the Windows 10 update files, did you click the “Remove Win10 Files” to delete them ?

davidhk, May 24, 2016
  14. Budward Win User
    Not yet. I'm still trying to learn a bit more before doing that.

Meanwhile, what do you think about Bro67's reply? Does that mean that people who used Never10 to disable have gotten upgrades anyway?

Budward, May 24, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    You have to ask him.
    I don't have experience on using the Never10. I don't even if it really works other than the fact that the How-to-geek website is reputable. I have used many of its tutorials.
    It's not my place to scrutinize others' suggestions. I don't play "computer guru".
    99.9% of the time, I will not comment on other members' replies unless the other replies are, in my opinion, detrimental to the OP's computer.

davidhk, May 24, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - prevent upgrade

2. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade: I have windows 10 Pro 64bit installed on a workstation. Due to a software incompatibility I want to prevent the windows 11 auto upgrade from happening. But I need the system to update all the rest within windows 10 like security patches etc. How do I do this ?...
  3. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade: I have windows 10 Pro 64bit installed on a workstation. Due to a software incompatibility I want to prevent the windows 11 auto upgrade from happening. But I need the system to update all the rest within windows 10 like security patches etc. How do I do this ?...
  4. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2: Dear all,I have some computers running on Windows 10 32bit for support some DOS program. Recently, when you computer upgrade to version 22H2 that will display blue screen error. After investigation, it seems related to some conflict with M.2 SSD. Before we find the solution...
  6. Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2

Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2: Dear all,I have some computers running on Windows 10 32bit for support some DOS program. Recently, when you computer upgrade to version 22H2 that will display blue screen error. After investigation, it seems related to some conflict with M.2 SSD. Before we find the solution...
  7. Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?: Following a Win10 to Win11 upgrade on a Lenovo T490 Laptop, I have been experiencing BSOD. A review of the logs indicate it is a driver called wnpdriver.sys in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory. I delete the driver and the machine will stay up but, without known...
  9. BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?

BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?: Following a Win10 to Win11 upgrade on a Lenovo T490 Laptop, I have been experiencing BSOD. A review of the logs indicate it is a driver called wnpdriver.sys in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory. I delete the driver and the machine will stay up but, without known...
  10. How to prevent Windows 11 upgrade from 10 TPM forced on via BIOS update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 upgrade from 10 TPM forced on via BIOS update: Hi,I am currently on Windows 10 and am keen to stay then upgrade to Windows 11 in another year or two so that main bugs are ironed out. To do this I have kept my AMD motherboard fTPM disabled. Unfortunately, after a recent BIOS update, TPM was set to enable, resulting in a...